ENG 101 Guide
Villa Maria College Library
The complete list of databases available can be found on our website.
Off-campus access to most online databases requires a username and password. Drop by the library to get this information.
- Communications and Mass Media Collection
- Diversity Studies Collection
- InfoTrac Newsstand
- New York State Newspapers
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- U.S. History Collection
Check the library's website for a full listing of databases.
Search for Books, eBooks, Print Journals and DVDs
Books in the standard collection may be borrowed for three weeks. Books placed on reserve by your professor will have a shorter loan period. Books not available from the library can be borrowed through AcademicSHARE or Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Contact the library for help. To find items held by Villa and other libraries, try WorldCat.
Don't forget your Villa Maria College ID card to check out books!
Evaluation Tips for Online Resources
- When? Publication date, post date, updates
- Related to your topic, Intended audience
- Who created it? Are they qualified to write on the topic?
- Where does the information come from? Evidence? Reviewed? Unbiased?
- What is the purpose of the resource? Inform, teach, sell, entertain or persuade? Is it fact, opinion or propaganda?
Evaluating information is an essential step in quality research.
Remember, NO WIKIPEDIA!
Citation and Writing Help
Help getting your paper set up properly, create both your in-text citations and your Works Cited page. Includes sample pages and Microsoft Word tips.
Citation generators can make formatting your citations a lot easier. Don't forget: you still need to review your citations for accuracy and formatting!
Citation help for both APA and MLA, research help, general and subject-specific writing as well as ESL are addressed here.
Villanova University's Writing Center's guide covers the steps to writing a college paper from getting started to polishing tips.
Writing in College: A Short Guide to College Writing
The University of Chicago's collegiate writing guide is a resource for bringing your writing to the college level.
Guides for writing essays in many different subject areas, personal statements, labs, journals, as well as citation and grammar help.