November 10, 2017
Message from Dr. Kaminski
This morning, Mrs. Lehman and the entire K-4 student body provided a tremendously touching Veterans Day celebration. The BSE staff, students, and administration were honored to have so many service men and women as guests today. Thank you to all of the BSE parents who arranged the slides, arranged for our veteran guests arrival, and for squeezing in nice and tight into the gymnasium.
Today's presentation was captured on a 3D camera, thanks to parent and HSE Technology Director, Jeff Harrison. Click here to take a cool look at the show today.
Again, thanks to all of you who were able to attend. The children did an amazing job with their performance. There were many tears, many smiles, and much honor and appreciation of those who deserve it!
Feel free to watch the entire performance on the link below as well. Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend.
BSE Weekly Broadcasts
This fall the BSE Fourth Graders began writing, editing, and producing Newscasts highlighting important information and events occurring throughout BSE. For the last three weeks, Mrs. Porzuczek's students have led BSE in Broadcast Production. Enjoy!
10-27 Broadcast: https://youtu.be/FJD9XPgYdx8
11-03 Broadcast: https://youtu.be/Dc86G8afgEE
11-10 Broadcast: https://youtu.be/m6sJrksmmw8
News from the Clinic
- Vision Screenings: THANK YOU, Dr. Roark, Dr. Summers, and friends from Allisonville Eye Care Center for volunteering your time to help with our first grade vision screenings this week!
- Head lice: Also, from time to time a case of head lice is reported to the school. Should a case of head lice be brought to the school’s attention, the school nurse will maintain confidentiality of the student’s identity and assist the staff and parents with educational material. While the odds of your son or daughter developing a case of head lice are relatively small, the following includes information on head lice and the signs and symptoms. You may also find more information by going to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website at http://www.cdc.gov. Click here for a brochure on head lice 101.
Yearbooks On Sale Now!
- Order online by either scanning the QR code you see here or via this link: http://yearbooks.pixami.com/Printmore1/home3/Public.jsp.
- Hard copy orders are also accepted.
Click here for the order form and for additional information.
Those who order by November 30th will be entered in drawing for a $25 iTunes gift card!
Scholastic Book Fair presents The Wild West Book Fair!
The annual Scholastic Book Fair will be at Brooks School Elementary is next week. Mark your calendars for this special family event. It is a wonderful chance to add to home libraries and to support your child in his/her interest and growth in reading.
The dates and times are as follows*:
- Tuesday, November 14th 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
- Wednesday, November 15th 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- Visit the Brooks School Bear from 5:00 - 7:00 PM and enjoy read alouds from BSE teachers.
- Thursday, November 16th 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Visit Clifford the Big Red Dog from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM and enjoy read alouds from BSE teachers.
- Friday, November 17th 10:00 PM - 4:30 PM
* Please note that, while students will visit the Book Fair with their class during the day, parents are invited to attend after 4:00 PM.
Thanksgiving Feast in the Cafe & Thanksgiving Week Lunch Guests
Our special Thanksgiving Feast will take place on Wednesday, November 15th and will consist of:
Turkey, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Roll, Green Beans, Fruit salad, Pumpkin Pie
Please note that, unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate lunch guests on this day. Additionally, we will not have lunch visitors on Monday or Tuesday of Thanksgiving Week (11/20 & 11/21).
Movie Night: Smurfs - The Lost Village
Parent’s Night out will be from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for Brook School students (K-4) only. Younger or older siblings may not attend. This movie night is sponsored by the 2nd grade team to raise money for new books for their classrooms. Please visit one of the links below to donate the cost of your child’s movie ticket to a BSE 2nd Grade Book Project.
Click on the links to donate:
Students may also bring money for concessions/refreshments to be sold for 50¢ each. Movie ticket prices are a donation of $7 per child. All money that is donated will go towards buying new books for our classrooms. Thank you for your generous support of our book projects to grow our students’ love of reading!
Click here for the sign up form
- The PTO has a new Facebook page! We are transitioning the Facebook group to this new page so please be sure to "Like" it to stay up-to-date on the current news and activities. Just go to Facebook and search "Brooks School Elementary PTO" to check it out!
- The next PTO General Meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 14 from 6:30pm - 7:30pm in the BSE Cafeteria. Babysitting will be provided! Dr. Kaminski will update us on his recent trip to China and provide insight into our new partnership with our sister school in Ningbo, China. See you there!
- Please note that the previously scheduled Breakfast with a Special Someone on November 17 has been cancelled.
- We will be replacing this event with a Family Pottery Painting Night on November 28 in the evening. Save the date and watch for more information coming soon!
- Texas Roadhouse Gift cards - If you love Texas roadhouse or have family members that would enjoy a dinner out, please consider purchasing Texas Roadhouse gift cards and support our school! Each gift card costs $30 and entitles you to $25 worth of food or beverage at Texas Roadhouse PLUS a free appetizer for an entire year! These gift cards can be great holiday gifts and can also be used at our upcoming Dine to Donate night scheduled for January 24!
If you would like to take advantage of this great opportunity, please fill out the order form and return it to the office by December 1. Please make checks payable to BSE PTO and write your child's name and teacher on the envelope. Thank you!
- Dine and Donate: Don't forget about BoomBozz every Tuesday in November. Click here for the flyer that you'll need to present.
Soles for Souls
From November 10th to November 27th Brooks School Cub Scout Pack 130 is collecting new and gently used shoes. We have a collection bin in the lobby. Click here for the flyer and THANK YOU for your generosity.
HSSF Giving Tuesday
An HSE Schools holiday tradition is right around the corner. Every year, the largest charitable holiday known as #GivingTuesday kicks off the giving season. This special day – designed to restore the spirit of the season – is in direct response to the commercialism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
You can help HSE Schools earn up to $26,000 in matching funds from local philanthropists. On 11.28.17, David Becker Family, Allen and Melissa Bourff, Kevin and Shelly Clasen Family, Bud and Karen Colglazier, John and Amy DeLucia, Joe and Florie Eaton, Kevin and Diana Ephlin Family, Bill French, Fritz in Fishers, Michelle and Greg Fullhart, The Henderson Family, Todd and Denise Huston, Walt and Sheila Kelly, John and Kyle Kroehler, Tom Long of Long and Associates CPA, John McDonald, Kurt and Cathy Meyer Family, John and Dorothy Mills, Tracy and Jessica Mills Family, Jodi and Greg Osmun, Mike and Paula Peterson, Terry and Lisa Tolle, Corby Thompson, and anonymous donors are launching an around the clock match every hour of GivingTuesday!
Cafeteria Help & Lunch Visitors
LUNCH VISITORS (K-4):
- Guests must have a current SafeVisitor background check on file.
- Reservations are accepted SAME DAY only.
- Call the office at (317) 915-4250 by 9:30 AM.
- Due to space limitations, we can only allow three visitors per grade level (younger siblings are included in these numbers) with a total of 10 visitors per day.
- Guests may opt to purchase our hot lunch of the day or to just sit and visit. Out of respect for our students with food allergies, and BSE's commitment to doing our best to be a peanut/nut-free school, our policy has been revised and no outside food is allowed.
- Please note, Fridays are movie days in the cafe and there are days where we do not have lunch visitors (e.g. during testing windows, cafeteria special meal days, etc.).
Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act
is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by
Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.