Teacher Induction and Mentoring Essential Series
The First Year
NEW DATE! TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6th, 2018
This session is aimed towards first-year teachers. The invitation is also extended to 2nd or 3rd-year teachers who did not attend MARESA’s Teacher Induction and Mentoring Essential Series (TIMES) in the past.
In the morning, participants will:
Increase their knowledge and understanding of New Teacher Mentoring Legislation and Michigan's Educational Structure.
Become familiar with Michigan’s requirements for moving from a provisional teaching certificate to a professional or standard certificate.
- Review how to renew their teaching certificate in MOECS.
- Become familiar with IDPs and why new teachers are required to have one.
Be introduced to online professional learning options available to help meet the New Teacher PD requirement of 15 PD days in the first three years of teaching.
In the afternoon, participants will:
- Review how high structure and teaching expectations improves the positive learning environment in classrooms.
- Review the difference between a rule and an expectation and develop a classroom management plan for the new school year.
- Become familiar with the 5 variables teachers can manipulate to improve the learning environment for all students.
This session is open to all PreK-12th-grade educators who teach in MARESA schools.
ONLINE NEW TEACHER SESSIONS
Additional TIMES sessions will meet online during the school year to continue classroom management support and also explore:
- What are the requirements for earning tenure under Michigan Tenure Law?
- What are the requirements under Michigan's Educator Evaluation Law?
- What do principals want all new teachers to know about classroom observations?
- What are the 5 phases experienced by new teachers in their first year?
- What is MTSS? How does MTSS relate to academics and behavior?
- What do new teachers need to know about the education of students with disabilities?
Tentative Online Meeting Dates: November 26th, January 28th, & March 11th
- This session will begin at 9:00 a.m. and end by 4:00 p.m.
- From 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. coffee and refreshments will be provided.
- Lunch is on your own.
- SCECHs are available for $5.
- Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop/ipad.