Carter Middle School
Ms. Amy Hendry, Principal
April 2017 Newsletter
Be the "CHANGE" in Autism Awareness!!!!
Carter is now a "RED ZONE" starting 4/19/2017 thru end of the year.
Ms. Hendry is implementing a "Red Zone" for all of Carter until the end of the year. Students can bring phones to school but they must be kept in lockers at all times, no exceptions!
Our focus at Carter will be 100% dedicated to academics, attendance, and performing our absolute best on the MSTEP. Students who are testing can bring their own ear buds/ear phones but cell phones are to remain in student lockers at all times.
Netflix Program: 13 Reasons
It was brought to my attention today that multiple students are talking about a new Netflix series that was released on March 31st called 13 Reasons Why. This series is based on a novel by Jay Asher. This series is rated MA for mature audiences only. The story line covers very deep issues surrounding the suicide of a high school student. Please be sure to touch base with your child(ren) if you hear them referencing this show. Although we respect and recognize that it is completely your decision on what your children watch, we wanted you to be aware of this current trend. Ultimately, it is our intention to make sure students who may be exposed to material beyond their maturity level are supported emotionally and mentally.
If there is any additional support Carter can offer please call Ms. Hendry, Principal at 586.698.4291
- To access our website, please go to: www.wcskids.net/CARTER/
- Our website includes links to classroom webpages, daily announcements, parent resources, building and district information, the Carter monthly newsletter, and much more!
Carter Booster Club Facebook page
(From your web browser)
(From the search function within Facebook app)
Detroit Tiger's and PAWS launch 4th Quarter PBIS initiative and MSTEP!!!
REMIND Text Message from Ms. Hendry, Principal
- To receive messages via text, text @carterco to (586) 649-3714. You can-opt out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @carterco'.
April 11, 2017 and 12th- Autism Awareness Fundraiser during Lunch
April 11, 2017- MSTEP 8th grade Window Opens
April 11, 2017- Mary Bigler- 6:00 PM Raising Writers Media Center
April 12, 2017- Ecology Club
April 13, 2017- Half Day Hours 4,5,6
April 13, 2017- Change Collection Autism at 7:50 front and bacl doors!
April 14, 2017- NO SCHOOL
April 18, 2017- 9th grade Parent Night at Cousino 6:30- 8:00
April 19, 2017- NY Class Trip for 2017-2018 Mtg 6PM Media Center (7 & 8th Graders)
April 20, 2017- Spring Extravaganza
April 24, 2017- Track @ Cousino 4PM
April 26, 2017- Track @ SHHS 4PM
April 26, 2017- Ecology Club
April 28, 2017- Honor Roll Celebration- 6th hour
May 1, 2017- Track @ WMHS 4PM
May 1- May 5- Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3, 2017- Carter Booster Provided Lunch for staff appreciation
May 5, 2017- PLC/PD Hours 0,1,2,3
May 9, 2017- Booster Club Mtg
May 9, 2017- Title I Parent Mtg
May 9, 2017- Booster Movie Night
May 10, 2017- Track @ WMHS 4PM
May 10, 2017- Ecology Club
May 11, 2017- Book Club- Media Center (2:50-3:30 pm)
May 12, 2017- Honor Roll Celebration 6th hour
May 15, 2017- Track @ Roseville HS 4:15PM
May 18, 2017- Track Conference Meet @ WMHS 4:00PM
May 24, 2017- Ecology Club
May 25, 2017- WEB Field trip TBD
May 30, 2017- All A Celebration 6PM Carter Cafe
June 1, 2017- Book Club Media Center (2:50-3:30 pm)
June 3-5th- Washington DC Trip
June 6, 2017- Spring Band Concert
June 6, 2017- Spa I Final Exam
June 7, 2017- Spa 1/AA Final Exams
June 8, 2017- PBIS Tiger Game
June 9, 2017- SS/ELA Final Exam
June 12, 2017- Science/Math Exam
June 13, 2017- Science Exam
June 14, 2017- 8th Grade Farewell 9:00-11:00 a.m.
June 15, 2017- Half Day- Adjusted full day schedule/Last Student Day
June 15, 2017- World Cup
June 16, 2017- Last Teacher Day/ Band Cedar Point Trip
Class Trip to NY 2017-2018 7th & 8th Graders
Informational Meeting Wednesday, April 19th @ 6pm in Media Center
8th Grade Science Roller Coaster Project
8th Grade Science Roller Coaster Project
8th Grade Science Roller Coaster Project
Carter Middle School 8th Grade Farewell
Dave & Buster’s (Utica)
June 14th (Wednesday) 9:00am-1:00 pm
Students must arrive to school at normally scheduled time and report to 1st hour. Buses will pick-up students from Carter at 9:00am and return students at approximately 1:30pm. Students attending Butcher report to Carter on this day.
Cost is only $30 for everything listed below:
· Class of 2021 T Shirt
· Breakfast and Lunch
· Loaded Power Card
· Unlimited Arcade Game Tokens
· Bus transportation (both ways)
**every 8th grade student will receive a t-shirt regardless if they attend the Dave & Buster’s event. Sizes collected on-line or during lunch.
Each family must sign a behavior contract stating that they understand that if their student is on the exclusion list for any reason and/or has poor behavior/citizenship at any time during the 4th quarter they will be EXCLUDED from attending any 8th grade Farewell activities-including Dave & Buster’s. REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!
MUST REGISTER ON-LINE: http://school.wcskids.net/carter (student ID# needed)
Click on Pay Online (left side of screen)
Click on Carter Middle School
Click on 8th Grade Farewell
25 Chaperones needed for the event. If you can help out from 9:30-1:00 at Dave & Buster’s and/or 1:30-dismissal from Carter, please contact Claudia Gieleghem at email@example.com.
Call: 8-555-OK2SAY (855-565-2729
Text: 652729 (OK2SAY)
Carter student led group to encourage and support Anti-Bullying- #bestmeicanbe (Hash tag Best Me I Can Be).
- Motivation Monday Kick-Off activities in the ELA classes
- Encourage students to go 'the extra degree' at school, in their friendships and at home.
- ELA classes discussed examples of 'the extra degree'.
- PBIS student postcards
- Receive a ticket raffle for weekly drawing to receive an "extra" ala carte item in the lunchroom.
Carter's Counselor Corner:
Mrs. Wilking- students with last name (A-L)
(586) 698- 4297
Mrs. Stabile- student with last name (M-Z)
(586) 698- 4798
212 the extra degree
Yearbook Club needs your help!!!!
If you have any pictures from Carter sporting events that you think would make good shots for the yearbook, please email your photos to Ms. Pekar at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Especially looking for boys 8th grade football, any photos you may have taken would be appreciated!!
Relay for Life Team
Join the Relay for Life Team and walk with us on June 10th at the Warren Civic Center. Here are the directions to sign up:
1. Google “Relay for life Warren”
2. Click on:
3. Click join this relay
4. Click create an account
5. Fill in your information
6. Our team name is: Princess Ember, Knight Ray and their Carter Cougars
7. Complete registration
Email email@example.com for more information
Carter/ WCS District Writing Celebration Winners!!!
T. Chowdhury- 7th grade
T. Elias- 8th grade
J. Whitfield- 8th grade
- Once school has begun and is in progress, parents/guardians have the ability to view student grades, attendance, etc., using PowerSchool from the WCS website: http://wcskids.net.
- IF YOU ARE A NEW USER: Go to the ‘Parents/ Students’ section, then click on the ‘Parent Portal’ link. Here you can “activate” the portal. You will need your child’s student ID number, birth date, address, your name, your email, and agree to the terms of the site.
- Once submitted, within a few minutes you will receive a user name and password. With that information you can access Parent Portal.
- You DO NOT need to reactivate your parent portal password each school year.
- Your prior password will remain in effect while your student is in attendance in a WCS school.
Carter Band News:
Congratulations to the entire Carter Bands on their performance this past month. Keep up the
The Symphonic Band has MSBOA State Band Festival which will be held on Friday, April
28th, 2017 at Sterling Heights High School. The Symphonic Band performs at 6:25pm. Come on
out and support your fellow Carter Cougar Bands.
Next month from May 21-23, students from the Symphonic Band will be going to Chicago for
the band trip. While in Chicago, students will be visiting Wrigley or Soldier Field, the Shedd
Aquarium, Giordano’s Pizza, House of Blues, Spirit of Chicago Cruise, Chicago 360, Blue Man
Group and performing at the Field Museum.
In addition, the Carter Bands will be hard at work preparing for the 2017 Spring Concert which
will be held at the Performing Arts Center (12901 15 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48312) on
Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 7:00p.m. All bands (Percussion Ensemble, Jazz, Cadet, Concert and
Symphonic Bands) will be performing at this concert.
Next month, registration for the annual Cedar Point Band Trip will begin. Band students will
have the opportunity to go to Cedar Point on Friday, June 16, 2017. Registration and payment
will be done online.
We are in the process of student registration for the 2017-2018 class schedule and I highly
recommend that all students currently in band continue next year. If you did not participate in
band this year and are interested, please see Mr. Case and sign up for band! Any parents with
students in fifth grade this year or students that have younger siblings that are in fifth grade this
year, please encourage them to continue in band and to be apart of this great legacy.
Go Cougar Bands!
Mr. Anthony Case
Director of Bands – Carter Middle School
(586) 825-2620 ext. 24109
- Free and Reduced Meal Application forms can be completed online at the following website: www.lunchapp.com. Parents are encouraged to use the online process in order to expedite processing time.
- Pre-payments can be made to your student’s account. This school year a minimum pre-payment of $20 will be required. WCS offers to you, FREE OF CHARGE, a pre-payment plan using your Visa or Master Card. To set up an account, please go online to: www.sendmoneytoschool.com