NewsFlash - Dec. 8
Town of Sunnyvale - Dec. 8, 2023
Road Construction - What To Expect Next Week
Project updates for Week of Dec. 11
Work is underway on $16.4 million worth of road improvement projects recently approved by the Sunnyvale Town Council.
Phase 2B and 2C include the repair and overlay of the following sections of asphalt roadway (dates are subject to change). This week's activity is scheduled to include:
- Town East Boulevard from Collins Road to Tower Place - All construction-related work has been completed except for some minor shoulder cleanup.
- Town East Boulevard from Polly to Collins - Reconstruction of this section is planned to begin Tuesday, Dec. 12 with a full closure as Collins and East Fork will both be fully reopened to help motorists avoid this section. Work on this section is expected to be finished before the end of December weather permitting.
- East Fork between Gloria and Tripp is complete except for some minor shoulder cleanup.
- North Collins Road from Town East Boulevard to Barnes Bridge Road is nearly complete. All that remains is the installation of shoulders in targeted locations. This work is expected to be completed by Friday, Dec. 15 with minimal impacts to traffic as both lanes will remain open.
- North Paschall from Tripp to US 80 Frontage Road - Construction is underway on the southbound lane. Please consider using US80/Collins/Tripp to access North Paschall while the northbound lane is closed. North Paschall is expected to be fully completed by Friday, Dec. 22 weather permitting.
- South Paschall from US 80 Frontage Road to Long Creek - Construction is underway on both lanes. South Paschall will only be open to local traffic needing to access businesses/residences adjacent to South Paschall, so cut-through traffic will not be allowed during construction. South Paschall is expected to be fully completed by Friday, Dec. 15 weather permitting.
The latest updates and a preview of upcoming activities are available at TownofSunnyvale.org/RoadProjects. Construction schedules can change with short notice. We appreciate your patience.
Mail Service - Construction operations could temporarily disrupt US Postal Service deliveries to some mailboxes in the construction area. The Supervisor of Delivery at the Mesquite Post Office confirmed that undelivered mail would be held at the Mesquite Post Office, 120 E. Grubb Dr. Post office hours can be found at their website.
Trash Service - For residents along the construction route, please make sure your trash containers are out by 7 a.m. on your assigned day. If the lane in front of your home is closed, please place your container across the street.
Saturday, Dec. 9 - noon to 3 p.m.
Beginning Saturday, Dec. 9, we will host monthly pet adoption events at the Mesquite PetSmart, 19175 LBJ Freeway!
If you're ready to add a furry friend to your family, come visit us from noon to 3 p.m. and meet a precious pet waiting for a forever home! Keep sharing with your friends and networks and let's clear our shelter this holiday season!
We're still waiving pet adoption fees and providing discount vouchers for several pet services. Call us at (214) 862-4525 or visit our Petfinder page to learn about available pets.
One of Our Shelter Dogs Needs a Special Foster Home!
The Sunnyvale Animal Shelter urgently needs a foster home for one of the dogs in our care.
Kodak is a one-year-old German Shepherd. He came to us about six weeks ago with an injured tail, which eventually had to be amputated. Kodak has severe anxiety issues and needs lots of care and attention. He is a great, loving dog. He's just very needy right now.
We're searching for someone who can foster him until a forever home can be found. The Town will be responsible for Kodak's healthcare and food while in foster care. He can be adopted for FREE, and his new owner will be responsible for his continued health and recovery.
If you can assist, please contact the Sunnyvale Animal Shelter at (214) 862-4525.
Food & Toy Drive for the Holidays!
Donate Non-Perishable Food and Unwrapped Toys Through Dec. 15
The Sunnyvale Police and Fire Departments are partnering with the Southeast Alliance Care Team and Sharing Life to accept food and toy donations.
Donations will be accepted during regular business hours at:
- Sunnyvale Police Department - 364 Long Creek Road
- Sunnyvale Fire Department - 305 E. Tripp Road
- Sunnyvale Town Hall - 127 N. Collins
Food donations should be non-perishable and canned items. Toy donations should be unwrapped.
Celebrating the Season!
The Town of Sunnyvale kicked off the holiday season Dec. 1 with an official Christmas tree lighting event at Town Hall. Celebrants enjoyed visits with Santa, festive crafts, yummy treats and much more!
Enjoy this visual recap. We wish you all a happy holiday season!
Sunnyvale Survey - Community Engagement
Sunnyvale offers a strong sense of community and belonging. Earlier this year, more than 700 Sunnyvale residents shared their insights about our community through a "livability" survey.
More than 9 of 10 Sunnyvale residents rated the Town excellent or good as a place to raise children. Survey respondents also gave Sunnyvale high marks for its sense of community and for valuing and attracting people from diverse backgrounds, rating these characteristics higher than the national benchmarks. These results were part of the National Community Survey. The full report is available at TownofSunnyvale.org/Survey.
An excellent example of Sunnyvale’s commitment to the community is the annual National Night Out event hosted by Sunnyvale’s police and fire departments each October. In fact, the 2023 event was ranked 12th in the nation by the National Night Out judges! On Oct. 3, the Sunnyvale Police and Fire Departments hosted more than 1,000 community members. The event featured bounce houses, dunk booths, and demonstrations by the ATF, FBI and the Texas Department of Public Safety Helicopter. Several businesses set up booths to showcase how they support the community. Public Works displayed their day-to-day work equipment and Republic Services demonstrated trash truck operations. The Sunnyvale Animal Shelter invited guests to adopt some of their pets. We’re already making plans for even more fun activities for the 2024 event!
Sunnyvale Town Council
This will be the Town Council's only meeting for December. The next meeting will be Jan. 8, 2024. See the meeting agendas page for more information.