Crew's News - Mrs. Copeland's Class
December 12, 2014
CogAT scores and a letter explaining the results were sent home today in your child's red folders. Please look over them and read the letter to interpret the scores. If you have any questions about your child's scores, please send them to me and I will forward them to our GT teacher.
What are we up to?
- Text Features Game: https://www.superteachertools.net/jeopardyx/jeopardy-review-game-from-com.php?gamefile=http://www.superteachertools.com/jeopardy/usergames/Nov201044/jeopardy1288922616.txt#.VIGyvIf1xc5
- Dictionary Skills: 2nd grade Lang. Arts - HH.1, HH.2
- Compound Words: 2nd grade Lang. Arts - EE.1, EE.2 and 3rd grade Lang. Arts - QQ.3
Writing - Learning how to write like a scientist (using a hypothesis and learning the scientific method). Creating lab reports to go along with our science experiments.
Math - Tell time to the nearest 5 minutes
Stop the Clock Game:
- (Half Hour) http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/stoptheclock/sthec1.html
- (Quarter Hour) http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/stoptheclock/sthec2.html
- (5 minutes) http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/stoptheclock/sthec3.html
- Grade Level Practice: 2nd grade - TIME (Q.3, Q.4, Q.5, Q.6, Q.8)
- Need a Challenge?: 2nd grade - TIME (Q.9, Q17)
Science - Force and Motion unit
***Make sure you ask your child about their force and motion dance classes!***
Here are the videos we are using in class to help us understand force and motion. The flocabulary link has a GREAT song that we are using daily!
- December 15 - Bricks4Kidz (Please pay $8 by 12/12)
- December 18 - Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night (Cherry Rd.) 6:30pm-10:00pm
- December 21 - Jan 3 - NO SCHOOL - Christmas Break
- January 5 - Return to school
- January 6 - Box Top Collection Day and SIC meeting at 4 pm
- January 15 - HALF DAY FOR STUDENTS - NO CHALLENGER
- January 16 - Teacher Workday - NO SCHOOL for students
- January 19- MLK Day - NO SCHOOL
Winter Dress UP Days! (12/15 - 12/19)
Monday - Favorite ugly holiday sweater/t-shirt
Tuesday - Favorite childhood toy
Wednesday - Elf on the shelf (put on your elf hat and ears to bring in the season)
Thursday - Reindeer (dress like a reindeer-any reindeer attire will do)
Friday - Favorite winter pajamas (**Don't forget to send in your goodies so we can decorate snowman cookies!)
To help celebrate these fun dress up days, if anyone would like to send in a special snack (maybe to match the theme of the day?) please let me know! We would love to share some of your families traditional holiday snacks! :)
IHES is so fortunate to have wonderful parents willing to volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering, please be sure to follow the application process outlined below.
All volunteers must go through the application process to get an ID card and to be an approved volunteer. Name on volunteer card and state issued id should match.
Jingle All the Way!
Children's Attention Home Donation
Student Council is sponsoring a supply drive for the Children's Attention Home. The Children's Attention Home Inc. provides emergency shelter and nurturing services to abused, abandoned, and neglected children in S.C.
Please help us support them by donating the following supplies:
- *Gift cards from any stores, but most often, gift cards to Wal-mart, Target, Belk, and Kohl's are most useful.
- HE Laundry Detergent
- Pull Ups size 2T(girls) size 3T & 4T(boys)
- Size 5 Diapers
- Toilet Paper/Paper Towels/Napkins
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray
- Cereal (Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes, Golden Grahams)
- Individually wrapped snack foods
- Men and Women's Socks
Golf Squad at India Hook Elementary School
Please see the below web address for more information and to register your child
Attention Pirate After-school Program Parents (not challenger) -
If you need to pick-up your child after 3:00 pm, but before 5:00 pm, please call 803-985-1611.
Hour of Code is here...
The Hour of Code is an introduction to computer science and programming. Last week, fifth grade students were introduced to computer science and encouraged to participate. This week, second and fourth grade students are participating during their media center lessons. Next week, third grade students will get a chance to try it out during their media center lessons.
The Hour of Code (Computer Science Education Week) runs from December 8-14, 2014.
To Learn More