The mighty nutrient
WHAT IS A PROTEIN?
MAJOR SOURCES OF PROTEIN
EFFECTS OF TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE PROTEIN
1. The word “protein” is from the Greek word proteios, which means “primary” or “holding the first place.”
2. Protein, like carbohydrates and fat, is a macronutrient. Macronutrients are nutrients that provide calories or energy.
3. The lifespan of most proteins totals two days or less.
4. While beef is the most popular meat in America, its protein content is low compared to poultry.
5. Proteins can have bizarre names. For example, the protein Pikachurin is a retinal protein that was named after a Pokémon character Pikachu. The protein Sonic Hedgehog was named after Sonic the Hedgehog. A blue protein is named Ranasmurfin, after the Smurfs
6. Without a protein called Albumin, the entire human body would swell.
7. The protein in eggs is the highest quality of protein found in any food.
Proteins can still be acquired if you vegetarian or vegan
Ranasmurfin is an actual protein named after the smurfs
Often times proteins last two days or less
Too much protein, the body excretes it
Eggs have the highest quality of protein
If there isn't enough protein, the body breaks down your muscles
Nutrients are important