October 5, 2018
A Principal's Perspective
I enjoy reading about successful businesses and leaders and how to apply their ideas/strategies in the education setting. With Tracy Brice's permission, I am sharing her email she sent to me with you. Take a look.
From Tracy Brice:
I love to learn about what GREAT teams do to make things work.... Zappos is definitely one of those great teams. When I read this, it made me think how much RIGHT we are doing at GPE!! The educators at our school follow all of these core values and do it really well! I am so proud to be a part of such a magical team!!
At Zappos our 10 Core Values are more than just words, they’re a way of life. We know that companies with a strong culture and a higher purpose perform better in the long run. As we continue to grow, we strive to ensure that our culture remains alive and well. Check out our Oath of Employment, which we use to not only highlight our values, but commit to them both as Zappos employees and as a business.
- Deliver WOW Through Service
- Embrace and Drive Change
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
- Pursue Growth and Learning
- Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
- Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
- Do More With Less
- Be Passionate and Determined
- Be Humble
Zappos Link: https://www.zappos.com/c/code-of-conduct
Be innovative - Design the possibilities!
Morning Duties for the Week
Gym & Morning Assembly (7:20-7:45): Galow
Word of the Week:10/8: miscellaneous; 10/15: merchandise; 10/22: interruption; 10/29: unrecognizable
Tuesday Book Share: Galow & Murphy
Gym (7:20-7:45): Kieschnick
Parent Drop Off Direct Traffic (7:20-7:55): Simpson
Parent Drop Off Car Doors (7:20-7:55): Bingaman & Wilson
Cafeteria (7:20-8:00): Eppes
Bus (7:15 - 7:55 Buses/ Cafeteria after all buses arrive): Matthews
Counselor Schedule: 1st & 2nd Bullying
Librarian: M, T - PC; W, Th & F - GP
Week at a Glance
Monday: Parent Conference Day (8:00-3:30)
Tuesday: Faculty Meeting @3:30 - Cafeteria - See agenda below
Wednesday: Social Committee Pot Luck Tailgate (Wear your favorite sports team shirt/colors and jeans!) Sign up sheet is in office workroom; 2nd grade lesson planning day (ELA - AM & Math/Science - PM)
Thursday: Fall Picture Day (All students & staff will take pictures for yearbook. Camera setup will be ready in the cafeteria at 7:30 for staff pictures.); REACH begins 7:20-8:05 in Science Lab
Friday: Proethica modules 1 & 2 for year 2 complete;
Saturday: CSISD EdCamp (website for more information: https://edcampcstx.weebly.com/
Book Fair & STEM Night - Tuesday, October 16th 6:00-8:00
ELA/Math Specialists' Meeting - Friday, October 19th, during conference times. Topic GT Training
Book Character Dress Up Day & Sing-A-Long: Wednesday, October 31st
News & Notes
- PTO Requests: With the success of Boosterthon, the PTO approved the following items. Truly Amazing!!!
- PTO Budget $27,000 for next year (this includes field trips, 4th grade Austin field trip, STAAR snacks, PTO grants, etc)
- Music Sound Equipment & Costumes $5,700
- Staff Door Prizes for Staff Development $100
- Cover for GaGa Pit $8,000
- Extra Funds for Field Trips $1,400 (K-3rd grade will receive $300 to total $1,500 for this year's field trips, 4th grade will receive an extra $200 for a total of $1,000 for this year's field trips. Note - 4th grade Austin trip is in PTO budget for next year)
- IPAD Cart for Enrichment/CAMP $2,000
- Think Conference & Ipadpalooza $6,000
- Gym Electric Screen (button will allow screen to go up/down) $1,500
- 2nd Grade Readers $311
- Yuck Super Science Show $1,045 (scheduled for Friday, November 2nd)
- Human Sundae Supplies $100 - Human Sundae will be Friday, October 19th during Morning Assembly - which will run a little longer.
- Chrissy's Closet Sponsor $500
Total Requested: $26,656.00!!!
- Rezoning: Board workshop presentation link for proposed rezoning of elementary schools: https://4.files.edl.io/03e5/10/01/18/231104-bab69f0c-b4b5-4ecc-920d-db70b1fc3285.pdf
- Second grade will now have the RED & BLUE squares and kinder will now have GREEN.
Faculty Meeting Agenda - Tuesday 10-9-18 3:30
All Staff Present
- 2 Minute Connection
- CSISD Required Training: Suicide Prevention, Child Abuse & Bullying
- Dyslexia Training & Updates
We have a technology coach on each grade level. Vicki Murphy is our campus tech coordinator.
1 - Reed
We have technology training opportunities this year that will be offered after school. Incentives (besides the great learning) & Logistics:
*After school (3:30-4:15)
*Wear jeans the following Monday!
*Entire grade level or group attending - Sonic Drink!
*Attend all sessions - Lunch is catered for you in May!
Tech Training Dates:
Thursday, October 25th
Thursday, December 6th
Thursday, January 24th
Thursday, March 21st
This Week Birthdays:
Pattie Bartosh, Oct. 9th
Jaime Slade, Oct. 10
Stephanie Anderson, Oct. 13
Mustang Yee Haws!
Congratulations to Jessica's son, Kasen, who is on the front cover of the Texas Aggie! Whoop!