The rundown on Ridgewood Elementary - December 18, 2020
Principal Perspective - Winter Break
Thank you to those who were able to join our first Winter Singalong! It was an amazing time of celebration and community. If you were unable to attend, the video of our performance is posted below. Special thanks go to Ms. Shaw for putting the show together for us.
Thank you as well to those who donated to our annual Holiday Helping Hands. Together we supported twelve Ridgewood families. My heart is warmed each year by the kindness and generosity of our community.
Our office will be closed over the break and we will reopen on Monday, January 4th, our first day of school for the New Year. Linked in this newsletter are resources families may want to access over the break to support physical and mental health. My hope is that we all use this time away from school to rest, relax, reflect and recharge for the upcoming year.
I wish you all a very special Winter Break filled joy and peace, rest and relaxation.
Beaverton School District is excited to announce its partnership with Marathon Kids; an at home running/walking club that will be available to your student by December 18th, 2020. Our school has always had a before school running club and we are excited to bring this opportunity to your students at home with the help of Marathon Kids. Participation in this is completely optional.
What is Marathon Kids?
- An all inclusive running/walking club.
- Students track miles to earn Marathons.
- Rewards are available for students when they hit different mile markers.
- Marathon Kids mission is to get kids moving, one lap at a time, at the pace they choose. Walk, run, or jog those laps until they have earned the goals they have set for themselves.
How will this work during CDL?
Students will run/walk/jog and track their own miles at home with their families. Parents will then submit the miles completed on the Marathon Kids website. Miles will then be approved by the school PE teachers. In order to have access, parents received an email invitation this week to join the schools Marathon Kids club and create a parent account so you can start running and tracking your students miles! The videos below provide direction on setting up your family account.
Why Marathon Kids?
We all know how much exercise and movement is important for not only our physical health but also our mental health. Research shows that incorporating consistent running/walking routines into students' lives, helps them both physically and mentally. No matter the students ability, they can run/walk/jog at their own pace and set their own mileage goals. This is the perfect activity for students and families to do safely and socially distanced from others, in the time frame that fits each family's schedule.
What about the Ridgewood Track Program?
When we are able to return in person, we will work with our PTC to combine Marathon Kids with our traditional Ridgie's Runner Track program. We will be able to track mileage during recesses and combine the prize structures. If you are interested in helping with this, please let our PTC volunteer coordinators know.
Who To Contact?
Please contact the Ridgewood PE teacher, Jeff Patton, instead of your students classroom teacher if you are needing help.
Physical Education Specialist
- Monday, 1/4 - Return from Winter Break
- Tuesday, 1/12 - PTC Meeting, 6:30p
- Monday, 1/18 - No School, MLK Jr. Day
- Tuesday 1/19 - Follow Monday Specials
- Wednesday 1/20 - Instructional Wednesday, follow Tuesday Specials
- Friday, 1/22, 6:30-7:30pm - Family Bingo Night on Zoom
- Wednesday, 1/27 - Passport in Seesaw Wellness class
- Friday, 2/5 - Virtual Science Festival
- Friday, 2/5 - No School, Grading Day
- Thursday - 2/11 - Picture Day! Details to come.
- Monday, 2/15 - No School, Presidents Day
- Tuesday, 2/16 - Follow Monday Specials
- Wednesday, 2/17 - Instructional Wednesday, follow Tuesday Specials
- Wednesday, 2/24 - No School, Staff Development, Passport in Seesaw Wellness class
- Thursday, 2/25 at 10:00a.m. - Kinder Q&A for 2021-22 Kindergarten families
- Tuesday, 3/9 - PTC Meeting @ 6:30p.m.
- Monday, 3/22-Friday, 3/26 - Spring Break - No School
Ridgewood Elementary School
9:00-12:00 daily & by appointment
Closed for Winter Break 12/19/20-1/3/21