Southwood Academy of the Arts
Holiday Break 2022 - January 6th, 2023
18 Band Students Earn All-County!
Southwood Academy's Christmas Performance
Students Show Their Holiday Spirit with Color Wars!
Endothermic & Exothermic Reactions Lab in 7th Grade Science
Snap Circuit Exploration in 6th Grade Science
Miss Silvey's 6th grade science students used Snap Circuit kits in a recent lab. Upon successful completion, these circuits lit up, moved, or made sounds! After the holiday break, Miss Silvey’s classes will be learning about simple machines and how they run.
Math Fun & Games
Theatre Holiday Performance
6th, 7th, and 8th grade Theatre joined together for the Christmas performance. 6th grade students were the Whos from Whoville. 7th grade students were characters from "Twas the Night before Christmas." 8th grade students were the characters from "The Polar Express." Students rehearsed in their individual classes and joined together for the performance in the PAC.
Visual Art Update
Southwood Visual Art is ending the year with a bang! 6th grade has just finished their “bad design” piece, where they learn about the design process by trying to make the worst possible household appliance. The design can cause the item to break down, self-destruct, or make the thing it produces so useless that there is no point in getting it. 7th grade has just started their pointillism project. The goal of this project is to create an animal using only small dots, made with a gel pen. 8th grade, similarly, is also starting a project. 8th grade is currently working on 21st century artist paintings. The goal is to get students more familiar with painting by recreating the style of an artist who is currently practicing in the 21st century.
Parents of 8th graders, please sign up for an IGP meeting!
IGP Information for 8th Grade Students
8th grade student IGP meetings will start in January. Both Westside and Hanna have the same registration form. Parents, please set up an Individual Graduation Plan or IGP meeting with either Dr. Chamblee or Ms. Doolittle. Your meeting can be virtual or in person. During the IGP meeting, students will receive a course catalog for their freshman year of high school, and the high school registration form will be completed. A PDF of the high school catalog, the high school registration form, and links to sign up for a meeting are below. For more information about IGPs, careeer clusters, and more, visit Ms. Doolittle's website.
Miss Moules' Students Get in the Holiday Spirit with Activities in the Media Center
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from the Newsletter Staff! Elijah, Anna, Ezra, Ryker, Tully, Zoie, Bailee, Karis, Tori, Julia, Savannah, & Mrs. Spencer
Work It Out Wednesdays
Clear Bag Policy for Anderson 5
As part of our ongoing effort to provide a safe and secure school environment for our students and staff, Anderson School District Five will be implementing a clear bag policy for high school and middle school football games. Further adjustments to this policy may be enacted prior to the beginning of winter sports. Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to:
Purses - larger than a clutch bag
Tinted/printed pattern plastic bags
Diapers and other baby supplies can be carried into the stadium in a clear bag. Infant formula, milk, or medicine needing refrigeration is allowed in a small soft-side cooler, and is subject to search at the gate. For additional information, please check out the image below.
Anderson 5 Needs Bus Drivers
Anderson School District Five is in immediate need of bus drivers. The current salary is $17.43 for new drivers and up to $25.82 for equivalence drivers. On-site paid training is offered at a rate of $16.43 per hour. This includes, but is not limited to, classroom training and behind-the-wheel training. Certified bus drivers are guaranteed 30 hours per week and could work up to 40 hours per week. Full-time drivers qualify for state benefits and participation in the South Carolina Retirement System. If you are only interested in driving a morning or afternoon route, part-time positions are available. Please check out the interest form below.
SCGSAH Odyssey Program Applications are due Dec. 19th!
The 7th and 8th grade Strings will be practicing every Friday from 7:45-8:15 AM. This is so the students can practice the songs they will be playing for the National Orchestra Festival and upcoming performances without having to take the students out of class. Parents please try to get your children to practices on time.
6th Grade Field Trip
The field trip is March 9-10 2023.The total cost of this trip will be $175. This is an overnight trip and the trip fee will include: transportation, lodging, all meals, all activities, and sixth grade t-shirts. Parents have until January 9th, 2023 to pay for the trip. If you have been paying for the trip in installments, the last payment is $75 due January 9th. The parent form for the field trip is below.
Creative Writing Club
Creative Writing students meet every Tuesday morning in Miss Paradis's classroom! Students who attended worked on a short piece of literature about something that happened to them that morning. There were no guidelines, so everyone has the freedom to write in any form or style.
Southwood Academy's YCI
YCI is starting back up at Southwood Academy of the Arts! YCI, Youth Commission International, is a Christian organization that talks about God and fellowship. YCI is 7:30 am every Thursday in the Performance Arts Center, and Mr. Pendergrass (the 8th grade science teacher) is the supervisor. There will be games and snacks. All are welcome!
Wyldlife will take a break until January. Wyldlife Weekend Camp will be January 20th-22nd at Carolina Point. If you have any questions, you can email, text, or call 678-857-8767. If you are interested in the Camp Point trip, please check out the form below.
1. Breakfast and lunch is not free for all students this year. We encourage all students to apply for free/reduced meals. Applications are available in the cafeteria, or can be completed online using this link. However, even if a student does not qualify for free/reduced meals, they can always eat breakfast and/or lunch. The charge will go onto their account, and the parent/guardian will be required to pay off this charge as soon as possible.
2. Students can purchase meals and extra sales items with cash, checks deposited onto their account, or funds deposited into their account online. Students cannot purchase extra sales if their account balance is negative. To view your child’s balance or make payments on their account, visit this site. You will need your child’s student account number to create an account/log in and view their meal account.
3. For breakfast and lunch, students are required to take at least 3 items, 1 of which must be a fruit or vegetable choice. There are multiple fruit and veggie choices available daily, and students are encouraged to choose as many of them as they wish!
4. For any questions that students have, we encourage them to come ask us! Our staff is here to help with any of our students’ needs.
SAA is an ABC Grant Recipient through the South Carolina Arts Commission!
Order Your Yearbook
PowerSchool for Students & Parents
A5's District Code is GWJZ
*The Robert Anderson Sports Bus is now available after school!
Early Dismissal / Appointment Policies
- When you arrive at school, please call the office: 864-260-5205 to let us know you are here to pick up a student for dismissal.
- Make sure to have your license ready and press the buzzer for entrance.
- Once the door is unlocked, be prepared to show your license through the window while you will remain in the foyer. Please DO NOT enter the office area.
- We will have a sign-out sheet in the foyer. Please know that we will get your student to you as quickly as we can.
News from Nurse Rosa
1. Any students with the following symptoms should stay home: temperature, headache, shortness of breath, loss of taste/smell, sore throat, muscle aches, chills, new or worsening cough, or runny nose.
2. Students may return to school once they have been fever free for 24 hours without medication AND their symptoms have significantly improved.
3. If you decide to have a COVID-19 test, notify the school nurse of the results.
*All information will remain confidential between the school and family. No other families will be given the health information of your child.
TDAP: All students are reminded that they must have their Tdap vaccination BEFORE starting 7th grade! Now is the time to schedule an appointment for your 6th grade student. Please submit documentation to Nurse Rosa after immunization.
For any health-related questions, call the office or email Nurse Rosa.
Media Center News
Media Center Schedule
Tuesday, January 3rd - Boswell circulation & class novel checkout
Wednesday, January 4th - Games Club, Moules visit 10:30-11, Newsletter 3rd block
Thursday, January 5th - Liles circulation & class novel checkout
Friday, January 6th - Media Center work day & Newsletter work day
Read 3 & Review 3
TL Hanna Baseball
· All Eligibility paperwork needs to be completed on PlanetHS before coming out. NO EXCEPTIONS! Parent/Guardian and athlete have to have an account and both sign all paperwork. Athletes who were cleared for a fall/winter sport do not have to resubmit forms for the spring. Middle school Athletes must fill out all paperwork for the high school. Make sure to Add TL Hanna as a school in the profile.
· **All physicals must be dated after April 1, 2022
· There will be three preseason practices for middle school students in January. Practices will be from 4:00 – 5:15 pm.
- Thursday, 1/5 … Defensive Day
- Thursday, 1/12 … Hitting Day
- Thursday, 1/19 … Scrimmage
· Athletes playing a winter sport for T.L Hanna or the middle schools will wait to come to baseball after their winter sport is over. They are not allowed at baseball practices/tryouts at all during their winter sport season.
· Tryouts for middle school students will be held February 6th – 9th. Tryouts will run from 4:00 – 5:30 pm each day.
· Middle School students will need to be dropped off and picked up from the back parking lot of TLH. DO NOT drive down the access road to the baseball stadium.
· Questions can be directed to Daniel Crenshaw via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Dismissal Days
Anderson Five will utilize three early dismissal days during the 2022-23 school year to support staff development, teacher conferences or end-of-semester exams. When utilizing early dismissal, lunch will be offered to students. Elementary students will be dismissed at 11:00 AM and Southwood Academy students will be dismissed at 11:30 AM.
Early dismissal will be implemented on the following dates:
May 31, 2023
June 1, 2023
Please add these dates to your calendar!
2022-2023 Academic Calendar
Southwood Academy of the Arts
Eric Chamblee, Associate Principal & Instructional Facilitator
Paula Doolittle, Guidance
Joshua Powell, Arts Lead Teacher
Cheri Gilbert, Secretary