CALVIN PARK WEEKLY UPDATE
February 17-21, 2020
Grade 8-9 Transition Information
If you have any questions, please contact Student Services at the secondary school that your child will be attending or contact Ms. Pettingill at the Calvin Park office.
A Reminder About Report Cards from LDSB
It was a difficult decision not to issue term one report cards, however, during job action it is not always business as usual in our schools. Although elementary teachers have submitted marks to administrators, school administrators will not be communicating marks to families.
The production of report cards for Limestone’s 13,000 elementary students relies on the electronic inputting of assessment data by teachers. This translates into about 300,000 individual pieces of data. Our principals and vice-principals cannot do the work of more than 800 classroom teachers. Nor can this work be outsourced to other Board staff, or external agencies due to the significant unbudgeted cost, and concerns about accuracy and, more importantly, privacy given the confidential information that is part of a child’s report card.
We thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding during this time of labour action. We are hopeful that the parties at the central table are able to reach an agreement soon. The Board will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.
Student Census - See Yourself in Limestone
THIS WEEK at CALVIN PARK February 17-21, 2020
Monday, February 17 - FAMILY DAY HOLIDAY
Tuesday, February 18 - Day 5
- 9:00 Girls Inc Group
- 8:30 Ernestown SS Grade 8 Visit
- 1:00 Kingston SS HS Grade 8 Visit
Wednesday, February 19 - Day 1
- 12:15 Queen's Enrichment Studies Presentation (for interested students in the Dance Studio)
Thursday, February 20 - Day 2
Friday, February 21 - Day 3
- SCHOOLS CLOSED - Province Wide Strike by ETFO and OSSTF
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER:
February 24 6:00 pm - School Council Meeting in Calvin Park Staff Room. All are welcome.
February 26 Pink Shirt Day
March 16-20 March Break
How to Report a Student's Absence Using SafeArrival
There are 3 ways to report a student's absence. These options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please do not call the school directly to report an absence.If your student is marked absent and the absence hasn’t been reported in advance, our new SafeArrival system will attempt to reach the student’s priority contact by telephone to confirm the absence. If our system is unable to reach the designated contacts, school office staff will follow up. If your child will be late, please report them as absent using one of the options below and then, when they arrive at school, they need to check in at the office and their attendance will be changed to LATE.
1. School Messenger App
a) Use your mobile device to download and install the free SchoolMessenger blue app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store, the SchoolMessenger website portal, or from within the LDSB mobile app.
b)The first time you use the app, you must select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account, or may not be able to see the "Attendance" option. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system.
c)Select Attendance, then Report an Absence.
2. School Messenger SafeArrival Website Portal
1. Visit the SchoolMessenger website portal.
2. The first time you use the app, you must select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account, or may not be able to see the "Attendance" option. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system.
3. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
2. School Messenger Toll-Free Telephone
1. Call 1-855-257-9349 toll-free to report an absence using the automated phone system.
2. Follow the prompts.