The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
September 28 - October 2, 2015
Quote of the Week...
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education." ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Increased Access to Personal Leave for Less-Than-12-Month Employees
Deadline to Submit Proposals for Apple IMPACT Grants for Teachers Is October 5th
The Office of PreK-12 Professional Learning and School Support (PLSS) is excited to announce that the Apple Federal Credit Union Education Foundation has provided funding for 2015-16 school year teacher grants. This opportunity provides additional resources for teachers and teacher teams to continue to maintain the highest level of instruction, creativity, and support for students in the classroom. The details for the grant application are located on the PLSS intranet site at http://fcpsnet.fcps.edu/is/grant/index.shtml.
Happy Birthday this Week!
- September 28 - Lauren Austin
Happy October Birthdays!
- October 2 - Deanna Doherty & Heather Hendershot
- October 3 - Cari Schmucker
- October 7 - Satonya Dews
- October 11 - Brandon Rhodes
- October 17 - Melanie Krotz
- October 19 - Margaret Pelletier
- October 23 - Kathy Long- Wilmot
- October 24 - Leeanne Scribner
- October 26 -Carla Richter
- October 27 - Chris Hovan
- October 30 - Janene LeMay
A Special Thank You...
from Chris Fisher to Samantha Sardella, Jane Conboy, Joy Goddard, Caitlin Gialouris, Jessica Michaels, Gretchen Letvin, Elaine Chisenhall, Maria Shannon, Melanie Krotz, Ashley Christian, Nicholas Wall, Melissa Kirkendall, Deanna Doherty, Charlotte Hart, Teresa Freeland for being so willing to open their classrooms to Kevin Greata on Friday! At the 11th hour, they offered to let him observe their math classes in order to strengthen our collaboration with West Springfield High School.
from Kevin Greata, Math Department Chair at West Springfield High School: "I wanted to thank you all for welcoming me at Cardinal Forest today and inviting me into your classrooms. I had a great time! The three number talks that I observed were all well done and the students were engaged and enthusiastic about their strategies. There were some real breakthroughs. From my high school perspective, I think these number talks will be a game changer. The activities I observed in the classroom were also well thought out and student learning was evident. Your students are lucky to have you all as teachers."
- Fall Pictures (9:00 - 1:30)
- PTA Meeting (7:00 - 8:00)
- Flu Shot Clinic (3:30 - 5:00)
- Interim Reports Due to Karen & Satonya
- School Planning Day (Student Holiday)
- Columbus Day - NO SCHOOL
- Interim Reports Go Home
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Kennedy Center
October 14 - 16
- 2nd Grade CogAT Testing (9:30 - 11:30)
- Book Fair Family Night (6:00 - 8:30)
October 20 - 22
- Upper Grade CogAT Testing
- PTA Meeting (9:15 - 10:15 in the Library)