The Path Dec. 2021-Jan. 2022
Scroll to bottom and select TRANSLATE to change language
Deslice el cursor hasta la parte de abajo y selecione TRANSLATE para cambiar el idoma.
A Message from Mr. Leonard
Dear Sun Path Families.
It is hard to believe next week will be our Winter Break! There is a lot of information in this edition of “The Path” so please read through all of it.
This past month we implemented a new procedure for our car riders. Parents of car riders were given a bright yellow card to place on their dashboard indicating who they will be picking up. I want to thank everyone who has been doing this. It has provided a safer and more efficient way of dismissing our students. There are a couple of items at dismissal and arrival that we need your help with. If you drop off your child in the morning, please have your child(ren) get out of the car when there is sidewalk to exit onto and have your child walk the rest of the way. Waiting until you get to the front of the line slows down the process. Also, for pick up at the end of the day we have families parking in the French Trace/Quail Neighborhood and waiting for their child. This causes difficulty with the busses getting in and out of our parking lot especially during these winter months. The best way to pick up your child after school is to enter off of 17th avenue and get in line on the upper level. Thank you for your help with these drop off and pick up things, we really appreciate it!
For the safety for our students, we have started to assign seats on our buses. We should have all of the seat assignments completed by Winter Break. It is our hope this will improve behavior and reduce distractions for our bus drivers.
It has been a crazy winter so far! We have had a day of several inches of snow, very cold temperatures, and warmer than usual days. Please make sure your child is dressed for the weather. As a reminder, we do not stay in from outside unless the temperature or windchill go below zero.
I am looking forward to great things here at Sun Path in 2022!
Sun Path Principal
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES:
- December 22nd-January 2nd: NO SCHOOL (students and staff), Have a GREAT Winter Break!
- January 11th: PTO Meeting, 7:00p----CANCELLED (next one is Feb. 8th at 7:00p)
- January 14th: 2-Hour Early Release
- January 17th: No School (student and staff), Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
- January 21st: PTO Movie Night for Grades K-2 (for information to come)
- January 27th: End of 2nd Quarter
- January 28th: No School (students)
Proud To Be A PBIS School
Saber of the Month
Who will be our Saber of the Month?
Our Saber Tower is filling up! We have amazing students at Sun Path! Way to go showing Saber Pride!
If your child brings home a Saber Slip, ask them what they did to earn it!
Teaching Our Sabers to Problem Solve!
BIRTHDAY TREATS REMINDER
Birthdays are recognized at Sun Path! Each student is recognized by the principal in morning announcements and invited to the office to receive a birthday book and pencil for his/her birthday!
Due to allergies, socioeconomic and nutritional concerns, we ask that students refrain from bringing in treats on their birthday. You may honor your student by purchasing a “birthday book” for the Media Center or make a donation to the Shakopee Education Endowment Foundation in your child’s name.
We ask that students do not bring birthday invitations to school. For the respect of the feelings of students who have not been invited to the party, we ask that you deliver these by some other means. We also ask that students not give gifts of any kind to others at school.
Message from PTO
Have a safe and fun holiday season with family and/or friends!
Please look for flyers coming home after the new year and/or follow us on our Facebook Page for upcoming PTO events!
2021/2022 Leadership Team:
President: Marta Leach
Vice President: Tami Weispfenning
Treasurer: Kristina Kimpling
Secretary: Elysse Beeson
NO COST, AT-HOME, OPTIONAL STUDENT COVID TEST KITS
BinaxNOW at-home test kits are now available to all district families (PreK-12) who wish to have a kit on hand to test their child when COVID-like symptoms are present. The test kits are provided at no cost to the district and at no cost to families/students by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) via the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE).
The test kits will be available only for families who wish to receive a kit. The kits will be available in each child's school health office and main office; they may also be available at school wide events such as conferences. A family with students in multiple schools can pick up a test kit for each of their children at one location of their choice. At this time, test kits are available, onsite, at Pearson Early Learning Center, Tokata Learning Center and all elementary schools: Eagle Creek, Jackson, Red Oak, Sun Path and Sweeney; the district is waiting on deliveries for East and West Middle Schools and Shakopee High School and will make them available once received. Test kits cannot be mailed to a student's home.
The BinaxNOW test kit is only recommended for children that present COVID-like symptoms. If you are testing your child as precaution or due to exposure, you should seek PCR molecular testing for the child.
In accordance with the district's health and safety protocols, please adhere to the following if your child presents COVID-like symptoms:
If you decide to have your symptomatic child use the BinaxNOW test kit, please note that the kit includes two tests. Additional details are below:
The two BinaxNOW tests should be taken within three days of one another, the second test being taken at least 36 hours after the first test.
If your child tests negative both times, then the child should return to school when the symptoms are improved, is fever free for 24 hours and documentation of both tests has been provided to your child's building nurse.
If your child tests positive (on either of the two BinaxNOW tests), the child must stay home from school and you should contact the child's school attendance line. Additional guidelines for returning to school are found here.
There is a mobile app associated with the test kit - see package for instructions.
Additional information from the MDE about the BinaxNOW test kits can be found here: BinaxNOW OTC At-Home Testing Information (state.mn.us).
Any support needed or questions about using the test kits should be directed to Abbott Labs at 1-877-441-7440. The district is not associated with test collection, processing or results reporting.
DROP OFF AND PICK UP REMINDERS
- Students who ride the bus, will be dropped off and picked up on the lower-level.
- In the morning they depart from the bus and proceed to breakfast or the classroom.
- If you are dropping your child off in the morning before 9:05 AM, please drop them off on the lower-level. Please drop the students off before the service door driveway. In front of the lower-level main door is reserved for busses.
- When dropping your child off, please pull up to the curb and have your child exit the car door (passenger’s side) next to the curb. We are trying to eliminate students in the parking lot, unless they are walking with their parent. If you choose to park and walk your child to the door ,please park near the crosswallk and wait for staff to lower the flag before crossing. In the morning, the busses are also dropping off on the lower level. Please leave room for the busses to get in and out of the parking lot.
- If you are dropping your child off after 9:05 AM, Please do so on the upper level. Please walk your child into the office and sign them in.
- Students are picked up from school on the upper-level.
- At the end of the day, please pull up along the curb (on the upper-level) and have your child get in a door next to the curb (passenger side). Also, as cars leave in front of you, please pull forward. Students will not be able to enter their car until they are in-between the signs that say student pick up or the area marked in green. We want to avoid forming a second lane, because this encourages students to run between cars. If you choose to park your car, do so in a designated parking spot on the upper-level. You will need to get out of your vehicle and walk your child from the sidewalk to the car.
- All families that have children who are car riders on a regular basis: You will be getting a Shakopee Car Rider pick-up sign when you come in for conferences. If you have a virtual conference, it will be delivered to your car during the month of November. Beginning on November 29th, all cars must present this card during pick-up. If you do not have a card, you will be asked to park and go into the office to sign your child out.
- When leaving the parking lot, drivers should turn right when the orange cones are present. When cones are not present drivers can turn either left or right.
Walkers in the Morning
- All walkers should enter on the lower level through the playground door or the main door.
- Students should not arrive before 8:55 AM
- Students who cross 17th Avenue will do so at the crosswalk with the help of school patrols/aides. The patrols will be out at the stop by 8:53 AM.
- Other walkers will arrive via the walking path or will cross at French Trace/Quail.
- Students will go to the classroom or breakfast when they arrive at school.
- Students who bike, must walk their bikes across the crosswalk on 17th and while on school property. Skateboards, heelies, scooters, or skates are not allowed at school.
Walkers in the Afternoon
- Students who cross 17th Ave, or use the walking path, will leave through the playground door.
- If siblings are walking together, they should meet on the playground.
- Students who cross or walk in the direction of French Trace will leave through the doors by the office.
- No students should be at school before 8:55 AM, unless arrangements have been made in advance.
- Students should be picked by 3:45 PM and no later than 3:55 PM
- All doors, except the one leading into office, will be locked at 9:05 am.
- If you change your child’s normal routine, please notify your teacher and the office.
- When picking up or dropping off your child, we ask that you leave your family pets at home.
- Please hang up your cell phone when picking up or dropping off your child.
- If you pick up your child during the day, or after school, this is done on the upper level.
- If students are dropped off after the start of the school day, parents need to sign their child in at the office (upper-level parking lot).
- If students are picked up prior to the end of the day (please notify the office prior to picking your child up), parents need to sign the students out at the office (upper-level parking lot).
YMCA SCHOOL AGE CARE INFO. FOR 2021-22
NOW HIRING FOR MULTIPLE POSITIONS
Join the Sun Path Team Today!
We are looking for someone to fill our Playground Supervision position here at Sun Path!
The schedule is Monday-Friday, 11:00a-2:00p.
If you are interested please click on the link below and go to the job listing "Recess Supervision Paraeducator" to apply:
Please call us at Sun Path (952-496-5892) with any questions you have.
Thank you for considering!
BUS DRIVERS NEEDED
Palmer is hiring for big bus drivers, small bus drivers and bus aides.
A CDL is required for the driving positions and we have a paid training program to walk you through the process.
This is a part time position and hours/days are based on the school calendar.
You would be joining a great team and entering a rewarding career.
Contact Palmer Bus Service at 952-445-1166 for more information.