Decatur Weekly Newsletter
May 14, 2021
Continued Support As We Sprint To The Finish
Hey Gators. We are almost there! You have 5 weeks left (4 for seniors) and it is really important to finish strong. Your teachers are excited to see you in class everyday and want to do everything they can to support you to learn the material and pass your classes. All you need to do is reach out.
Please read the highlights below. We have some announcements, reminders and a couple of new scholarships available.
Seniors, if you receive a message on Monday that you need to attend a support session on Wednesday, you need to be there. It means you have not completed a graduation requirement and you will not be able to attend the ceremony if you don't get the work done. The message will not go to all Seniors, it will only go to those that need to attend that weeks' support session. Each week will have a specific focus. We want you be there to walk at graduation so let's get caught up!
Also Seniors, if you missed picking up your cap and gown at the big drive-thru event last month, you are welcome to come to the building on Wednesday to pick it up. We will be there to help you from 8:00 AM until 2:30 PM.
Please stay safe, enjoy your weekend and remember the words of a former Gator, Dom Cook, "It is, and always is, a great day to be a Gator! Yitadee!!!"
AP Testing Begins This Week
AP testing begins on Tuesday. Here are the tests happening next week:
- English Lit & Comp Q1/3: 5/18 - 8:30am
- European History Q1/3: 5/19 - 8:30am
- World Hist Modern Q1/3: 5/20 - 8:30am
- Drawing: Portfolio Due 5/20 – 8:59pm
- Research: Performance Task due 5/20 – 8:59pm
- US History Q1/3: 5/19 - 8:30am
For more information, please see that attachment sent with this newsletter.
Last Quarter to Complete "I" Contracts
Important Message for Seniors That Have Not Completed Their HSBP
HSBP is a state graduation requirement. You will not graduate or receive a diploma without fully completing this requirement.
We have the following opportunities for you to receive support for completing the HSBP
Senior Support Nights: All nights from 5:30-7:30pm:
- May 27th
- June 3rd
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/99939262819
- Once a week SEL/CCR drop in with counselors and college and career team
- Wednesdays Drop in for Senior HSBP (and Senior Advisor)
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/95404658496
- Virtual Career Centers
- Wednesdays 11:30 AM-2:00 PM
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/91683916372
Seniors, please check your email for a message about in-person supports available for seniors with "I" contracts and incomplete HSBPs.
Spring iReady Testing Next Week
All 9th and 10th grade scholars that are currently taking Math and/ or ELA courses will take the iReady diagnostic testing in their Math/ ELA class.
Scholars that are not currently in these classes will take the testing in their SEL-CCR class this week.
The iReady test will be accessed through the Launchpad app. This diagnostic test helps inform instruction supports and class placement for the fall.
Senior Scholarship Opportunity
The $1,000 Golden Gator Scholarship is now open! To apply, seniors must have a 3.0 GPA, be in good standing, participated each year in a DHS club or activity and have been enrolled all 4 years at Decatur. Applicants will need to write a two-page essay and include their transcript and a confidential letter of recommendation. Seniors will email their submissions to Ms. Novak at email@example.com by June 1, 2021. Go to https://www.fwps.org/domain/1133 for more information on requirements and the essay prompt. The application submission deadline is June 1st.
Apprenticeship Opportunity for Juniors and Seniors
Decatur HS is looking for two candidates (juniors or seniors) for the Summer 2021 High School Sheet Metal Pre-Apprenticeship class. During this 6-week program where you will learn skills in the sheet metal trade, including industry math, fabrication and welding. If you are interested in being nominated then please email me by June 17.
Decatur Family Graduation Webinar
Thursday, May 20th, 6pm
This is an online event.
ASB Elections for the 2021-2022 School Year
Safety is a Top Priority
Here are some important reminders for scholars returning for in-person learning:
- All staff and scholars are required to wear masks at ALL times at our school campus and on the bus. If a scholar doesn't comply with wearing a mask, the school principal will call the parent/guardian to come and pick up the child.
- Social distancing will be enforced in all areas and there will be regular handwashing throughout the day.
- Visitors will not be allowed on campus in order to minimize the number of people on campus.
- You can find more details around our safety protocols in our Hybrid Model Family Guide at: https://www.fwps.org/hybridmodelfamilyguide or the Hybrid Model Staff Guide at: https://www.fwps.org/hybridmodelstaffguide
Timely Updates from Superintendent Dr. Campbell
Please be sure to reference Dr. Campbell’s Friday e-Newsletter for the most up-to-date information related to our planning for in-person learning.
School Buildings Closed to the Public
Thank you for your understanding.