Oklahoma City Bombing

Created By Shaylee Nelson

A Walk in the Park

"Let's not spoil the good weather by worrying about the storm." We've had storms all week but now it was the calmest, and warmest spring day that we'd seen in the whole month in April of 1995 and Shane, my husband, Carly, my daughter, and I, Megan Watermann, decided to take a walk through the park. My husband and I had Carly 2 years ago when I was 21, but now I'm currently 23 years old. My husband is a doctor and spends most of his time away from home but ever since we had Carly, I've stayed home to take care of her and to be a stay-at-home mom.

Shane took a vacation this week and even though and he's still on call, we wanted to take advantage of him being home and spend some time together. When I heard that this was going to be one of the nicest days we have had so far, I hurriedly woke up Carly and got her dressed in a long, short sleeved shirt and coveralls. Then I also put on a t-shirt with leggings and we watched an episode of Friends that stars one of my favorite actresses, Jennifer Aniston. After that we ate a huge breakfast and then listened to You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson, while we danced and cleaned dishes from our meal. Since it was still a bit chilly outside so while we waited for it to warm up we watch Pocahontas. Once all of that was done then we went on our walk with Daddy.

Oklahoma City Bombing:

As we were walking, we passed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. We stopped to admire it and then continued to the bridge that would lead us to the park. At 9 o'clock we got to the end of the park, we heard a loud blast and look around to see if anyone was hurt. My husband started running the opposite way that we came and told us to stay back and maybe even go further. I was so scared because I had no idea what was going on! A couple minutes later, I got a text from Shane that said a bomb had went off at 9:02 today, April 19th, 1995 and that was the blast we had just heard. He also said that they had blown up the Federal Building that we had just passed. I was DEVASTATED and I still remember that day like it was yesterday. My jaw dropped and I started crying. My daughter asked me what was wrong and since I didn't want her to be scared, and I didn't know that much about it right then, I just told her that some bad guys did something terrible to our city. Then we started walking back to where Daddy was so I could get more information. When we arrived we found him talking to a stranger. I approached and heard them talking about the person who did it, Timothy McVeigh, and his partner, Terry Nichols. Apparently, they were homegrown terrorists and anti-government militants. So that morning while we were watching TV and eating breakfast, they were out parking a rental car with explosives outside the building and waiting for it to go off.

Later, we found out that the bomb had killed 168 people and wounded many others as well. Timothy was executed for his crime and Terry got sentenced with life in prison.