Copper Hill Elementary School
November 2022 Family Newsletter
100 Everitts Road
Ringoes, NJ 08551
908-284-7665 (attendance line)
Mr. Jesse Lockett, Principal
Mrs. Amy Switkes, Vice Principal
Mrs. Rebecca Moeri, School Counselor - ext. 57669
Mrs. Lisa Fuchs, School Counselor -ext. 50007
Mrs. Lisa Maslankowski, School Nurse - ext. 57670
Mrs. Jinky Yuzon, School Nurse ext. 57670
Dear Copper Hill Families
October has been a busy and fun month for everyone at Copper Hill! We began with a District-wide spirit week to celebrate the “Week of Respect,” with a different theme each day that week. Our PTO also held our annual book fair, with a great Family Book Fair Night this year, as well as our second annual Heritage Night. Thank you to our families who shared their heritage with our school community. We look forward to growing this event each year. Our October townhall meeting focused on school and community safety. Thank you Ryan Fisher from GoHunterdon for presenting on the importance of helmet safety. Thank you Mr. Curtis Yarbrough for sharing the importance of fire safety with our students.
Due to our PTO's generosity, we were able to welcome Timothy Rohrer to Copper Hill School to present to students and staff. Timothy is the author of "Timmy's Story: A Story About Autism and Friendship." Timothy is a young adult with Autism who advocates for inclusion and friendships. Our students and staff truly enjoyed Timothy's message. Our community continues to foster an inclusive school community. We had an exciting, fun, and "bootiful" Halloween Parade!
At our October 18 staff meeting, our Copper Hill staff completed a "data dive." A "data dive" is an opportunity to review NJSLA data, NWEA data, and other classroom data to target instruction and identify students' needs. This data review will be the catalyst for our instruction this school year. We recognize the impact of the Covid Pandemic and are working diligently as a school community to target our instruction and to accelerate student learning. We will continue to work together utilizing all resources and data at our disposal to target our students' academic growth. A special thank you to our teachers who worked tirelessly through the pandemic and continue to go above and beyond to meet our students' academic, social, and emotional needs.
As we enter the Thanksgiving season, and reflect upon our blessings, we are very thankful to serve with amazing professionals, and to serve our spectacular school community! #CHPROUD
Looking ahead, we have parent teacher conferences scheduled for December. We will see you soon!
Jesse Lockett & Amy Switkes
TEACHER AND EDUCATIONAL SERVICE PROFESSIONAL OF THE YEAR
It is that very special time of year- time to nominate one Teacher of the Year and one Educational Services Professional of the Year!
The nomination deadline for this school year is November 9 by 4:00 p.m. A panel has been assembled to select our two 2022-2023 Copper Hill winners. We will announce winners on Friday, December 9.
Below you will find:
*Please note, our amazing teaching assistants can be nominated for the Education Services Professional (ESP) of the Year award.
THANK YOU VETERANS! COPPER HILL HONORS ALL WHO HAVE SERVED!
Parent Teacher Conferences-December 2022
- 12/6- Evening
- 12/7- Afternoon
- 12/8- Evening
- 12/9- Afternoon
- Conferences will be 20 minutes each.
- Conferences will be offered both virtual and in-person
Safety and Security
- Please do not hold any doors for visitors.
- Please use the crosswalks in the parking lot.
- Please obey the 15 mph speed limit in our parking lot.
- Student drop off begins at 8:45 am. Please wait at the stop sign, until being waved on by one of our staff members wearing bright green vests.
- When exiting the drop off area please be aware of buses that may still be entering the back parking lot or leaving the school.
- If you are dropping your child off after 8:55 am please park your car in the main parking lot and walk your child into the building and check in with the main office.
- Please DO NOT park your vehicle in the front driveway of the building.
- For the safety and security of our staff and students, monthly fire and security drills are conducted.
- Staff wear bright green safety vests during drills as well as during bus duty.
Absences and Changes in Your Child's Routines
- If your child is ABSENT or TARDY for any reason, please call the Copper Hill ATTENDANCE LINE by dialing 908-284-7665 or report an absence online here. Leave a message detailing the nature of the absence, your child’s name and his/her teacher’s name. Messages may be left at any time of night or morning and are retrieved on a daily basis.
- If your child needs to be DISMISSED EARLY, please send a note to school with your child in the morning, listing the time for pick-up and the reason. Children leaving school prior to 3:25 pm will be marked as an early dismissal. Please note, three tardies or early dismissals count as one absence.
- If your child normally rides the bus but will need to be PICKED UP at dismissal time, please send a note with your child that morning.
- Please DO NOT leave information regarding your child’s change in dismissal on a teacher’s e-mail or voicemail. They often do not have an opportunity to check their e-mail during the day and your message may not be communicated.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEND A NOTE WITH YOUR CHILD IN THE MORNING FOR ANY CHANGE IN YOUR CHILD'S ROUTINE.
Lost and Found
Please label all of your child’s belongings (lunchboxes, jackets, glasses, etc.) Any items that are found with a name on them will be returned. The lost and found is located right outside the office. Valuables (such as money, jewelry, eyeglasses, etc.) will be kept in the office. Items that have not been claimed will be donated.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
Breakfast and lunch options are available for all students. Please visit Maschio's website for updated menus and other important information. Breakfast is a grab and go in the cafeteria from 0850-0855 as students enter the building. If your child will be getting breakfast, please let their teacher know.
If your child is a frequent buyer, or free/reduced, or will purchase a snack, please help your child remember their 4 digit pin.
For safety purposes, please refrain from sending in glass bottles or glass tupperware.
Message from Nurse Lisa
- Students who have visible symptoms of illness (fever, vomiting, diarrhea etc.) will be sent home and may not return to school until symptoms reside and will follow the exclude-from-school symptoms per Board of Education policy (fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medicine)
- Students should not come to school if they have experienced a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
Have you joined the Copper Hill PTO Facebook group? Try the link below. www.facebook.com/groups/546291015501685/
Or search “Copper Hill Elementary School PTO”
Please use the URL Code below to access the PTO's site!
11/4/22 PTO Family Movie Night
11/8/22 School Closed: Staff Professional Development Day
11/10/22 and 11/11/22 School Closed NJEA Convention
11/9/22 Teacher/ESP of the Year Nominations Due
11/23/22 Early Dismissal
11/24/22 & 11/25/22 School Closed for Thanksgiving