The new Michigan K-12 Science Standards, based upon the Next Generation Science Standards, replace the standards adopted in 2006, commonly known as the Grade Level Content Expectations and High School Content Expectations for Science.The new standards are really a set of student performance expectations. These performance expectations incorporate three main elements:
- Disciplinary Core Ideas (science specific concepts in the life, earth, and physical sciences),
- Science and Engineering Practices (the practices of engaging in scientific investigation to answer questions, and engineering design to solve problems),
- Cross-Cutting Concepts (conceptual ideas common to all areas of science).
Michigan K-12 Science Standards Link
NGSS and NGSX
Next Generation Science eXemplar
NGSX is a web-based PD environment designed to engage teachers in working with the practices and disciplinary core ideas in the National Research Council's Framework for K-12 Science Education and the Next Generation Science Standards.
Space and stipends are still available for the next session. Please contact LCS Department of Instruction to enroll.
State Assessment Timeline
The state will work on pilot questions and pilot tests as they prepare for the full implementation of their new assessment in 2020.
Note- the test will be given in Grades: 5, 8, and 11
Please Designate a grade level contact person for Spring Live Organism Orders
- Don't forget to include: number of sections (including split/multi-age rooms)
- 3rd-5th ~ If an order arrives late or organisms look "life-less" or die too quickly: A) Please only keep your packing slip information and have date and time information to contact the vendor for replacements.
- Kdg-2nd ~ if an order arrives with dead organisms or die shortly after arrival (specifically butterflies) please contact Rose Dodson immediately so replacements can be made.