Trailside Elementary Update
September 16, 2022
Dear Trailside Families,
There is a lot happening at Trailside! Please be sure to read below for details on our many upcoming school events.
- Jog A Thon Update- Our big event is a week away! On the fundraising front, Mrs. Burns' class is in the lead. Keep sending in those donations to benefit our school! For the actual event, we are seeking volunteers to support. Please click the link below to sign up. Please note that all volunteers will need to have a full background check on file to participate. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E49ACA728A2FCCE9-jogathon
- Spirit Week- In order to build excitement for Jog A Thon, we will be having a spirit week. Each day will have a different theme. We can't wait to see our spirited Trailside students and staff!
Monday: Crazy Hair Day/Hat Day
Tuesday: PJ Day
Wednesday: Zionsville/Trailside Spirit Day
Thursday: Neon Day
Friday: Jog a Thon Shirts (students will get these at school on Friday morning)
- Dads Club Tailgate- From 5-7 this evening, ahead of the homecoming game this evening, the Trailside and PVE Dads Clubs are co-hosting at tailgate at Jennings Field (across from the stadium, where Eaglefest is held). See the picture under the Dads Club heading for all the details. Please note that the road between the high school and Jennings Field will be open to traffic, so use caution if you have to park at the high school and walk over.
- Membership Toolkit School Directory- The school directory is now available. This is a great resource for coordinating with our Trailside families. Directions are below.
- Picture Day- Picture Day is on Wednesday, September 28th. Online ordering is now open!
Week in Review
September 16th- Dads Club Tailgate
September 19th- Dine to Donate at Marcos Pizza
September 19th - September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Spirit Week
September 21st- PTO Meeting, 7 PM at Trailside
September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Fundraiser (rain date September 27th)
September 26th- Fundaes Dine to Donate 4-8
September 28th - Picture Day
September 29th- Second Grade Field Trip to Conner Prairie
September 29th and 30th- First Grade Grandfriends' Day
September 30th- Third Grade Field Trip to Indianapolis Zoo
October 6th- First Grade Field Trip to Dulles' Tree Farm
October 7th - End of Quarter 1 & Fall Parties
October 10th -14th - No School due to Fall Break
October 24th - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences afterschool
October 25th - Family/Student Conferences (eDay for Students)
November 11th - Veterans Day Program
November 23rd -25th - No School due to Thanksgiving Break
December 20th - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1 & Winter Parties
December 21st -January 2nd - No School due to Winter Break
ZCS 2022-2023 School Calendar (click for the district calendar)
PRE-ORDERING for Trailside Elementary Picture Day is now open! To order with a debit or credit card, please follow the link below. All pre-ordering will close after Wednesday, September 28, 2022. You do not need to turn in any receipt or form for an online order. If you need to pay by cash or check, the office will have an order form available. Proof ordering will be available 4-6 weeks after photo day once packages have been delivered.
If you have any questions or concerns please fill out our Customer Service Contact Form
Membership Toolkit- School Directory
We are excited to announce that we will be using Membership Toolkit for our Trailside Directory this school year. Once you create a Membership Toolkit Account, you will have access to student and parent information for those who have elected to be included. If you chose not to be included in the directory when registering your child, but have changed your mind, please contact Kelly O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here's what you need to do:
· Click on the Register/Login button.
· If you already have an account with another school/organization that uses Membership Toolkit you can use the same email and password to login. Trailside Elementary School PTO should now be included on your list of organizations.
· If you do not already have an account, select "Create Account" and fill in the name, email, and password information.
· Click "verify my email" and then check your email for a link to complete the process. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam or junk folders.
· Once you have verified your email address, log back in and finish the registration process.
Questions? - Please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Jog -A- Thon 2022
The Trailside Elementary PTO is excited to announce the return of the Jog-A-Thon as our fall fundraiser! Please consider donating and help our school “Light Up the TRAIL” on September 23rd!
Here's what you need to know:
*The Jog-A-Thon will be held on Friday, September 23rd and all students, grades PreK-4, will participate in the Jog-A-Thon throughout the day at different times.
- Our theme is “GLOW” and we will be Lighting Up the Trail with our brightness!
- A course will be set up on the Trailside campus, and students will be given time to jog (or walk) as many laps as they can. It is a VERY fun event for the students, positive and full of energy!
- This fundraiser is a joint effort between the PTOs of all 6 elementary schools and will occur simultaneously at Boone Meadow, Eagle, Pleasant View, Stonegate, Trailside, and Union during that same school day and
Jog-A-Thon t-shirts will be provided to each child thanks to our generous local sponsors!
- Donations and pledges can be made until Wednesday, October 5th, 2022.
- Donations in by September 23rd, the student gets an entry into the EARLY BIRD Prize Raffle.
- Donations can be made by cash, check, or QR code/online at: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=HU8DVS6R9QMPS
The Trailside Elementary Parent Teacher Organization is a not-for-profit organization and any donation made to the PVE PTO is tax deductible!
Please feel free to share the donation options/links with family and friends. Every dollar counts!
Our overall fundraising goal for Trailside is $16,000. Although we have a new school building, we anticipate students and teachers needs will arise throughout the year as we “break in” our new facility. Think books for the library, additional playground or wellness equipment, art studio supplies, etc. At Trailside, the Jog-A-Thon money will be used to fill these needs during the year, as well as to fund teacher and student grants. Every dollar helps to make sure our school has everything it needs during this important first year!
- Every student gets an Eagle temporary tattoo with this packet!
- All students who donate any amount will receive a Jog-A-Thon 2022 sticker featuring our Eagle mascot.
- Students who turn in donations on or before September 23rd will also be entered into an EARLY BIRD raffle drawing for a chance to win one of these “GLOWING” prizes: Glow in the Dark Turtle Plushie, Glow in the Dark Squishy Ball, Lava Lamp, Neon Water Bottle Decals
- The Top 3 Fundraising students School Wide will receive a special prize!
- The classroom per grade with the Highest Participation will receive extra recess and a popsicle party!
- The Top Fundraising Class per grade will receive extra recess and Dress Up day!
- The Top Fundraising Class & Teacher OVERALL creates a Work of Art to be displayed in the school & a Trophy for the Teacher!
- When we hit our $16,000 goal, the whole school will earn a glow dance party & a SURPRISE from our Principal and Vice Principal!
Thank you for your support and participation in this very important and FUN fundraiser for our kids & school.
Did you know Kroger will donate to Trailside PTO just because you choose to use their grocery? You could help create educational opportunities for your children just by going to the grocery. All you have to do is link your Kroger card to Trailside Elementary School PTO. It takes less than 90 seconds! Go to https://www.kroger.com/signin?redirectUrl=/account/communityrewards and log in to your account. From there, search for and choose Trailside Elementary School PTO, then click save. Kroger will make an annual donation to the PTO at no cost to you (eg. Does not impact Fuel Points, etc.). The entire process takes less than 90 seconds. The sooner you complete this process the more our school can benefit!
Dine to Donate
September Dine to Donate dates:
Monday, September 19 - Marco’s on Whitestown Parkway
Monday, September 26 - Fundae’s 4p-8pm
Marco’s Dine to Donate on Monday, September 19
Skip cooking and earn cash for our school! Marco’s will donate 20% of Trailside sales on 9/19 back to the PTO. Families can even order ahead online up to one week before the actual fundraiser date (starting September 12)! When ordering online, ensure that you select the Whitestown Parkway location. From the Menu icon, select the "Fundraisers" link, enter Trailside Elementary when prompted, and click "Add." When ordering on the 19th on the phone or in person, please mention you are ordering for the Trailside fundraiser.
Support Our Teachers
Support Our Teachers
The teacher services committee invites you to help treat our staff to eats and beverages delivered to the school. Please visit the SignUpGenius link for volunteer opportunities. Thank you for your consideration and support for our amazing staff! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D4DA5AF29AAFF2-friday
Dads Club Update
Second Step Program
Next week students will be on lesson 5. The Home Links for the entire year are linked below.
- Kindergarten Home Links
- 1st Grade Home Links
- 2nd Grade Home Links
- 3rd Grade Home Links
- 4th Grade Home Links
Visit the website at www.secondstep.org and enter your grade level activation code. You will first need to create an account and then from your account dashboard you can select Family Resources.
Grade Level Activation Codes:
Grade 1: SSP1FAMILY71
Grade 2: SSP2FAMILY72
Grade 3: SSP3FAMILY73
Grade 4: SSP4FAMILY74
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to reach out for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Dana Beatty, School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Front Office Procedures
Same Day Changes
- Prior to 1pm – please call the main office and press 1 in order to leave a message that will be received in time to communicate the change.
- After 1pm - please call the main office and press 0 to speak live with one of our administrative assistants.
- Please do not email same day changes to your child’s teacher. They may not have an opportunity to check email prior to dismissal.
Changes in Advance
- Please send a handwritten note to your child’s teacher instead of an email. There may be times that a substitute teacher has been assigned, that he or she will not have access to the teacher’s email.
- If you choose to email, please ensure you get a reply confirmation that your child's teacher received the change. If you do not, please call the main office.
Illness or Late Arrival
- If your child is ill, you are running late, or your child won’t be coming to school that day for any reason - please call the main office and press 2 to leave a message on the attendance line. If you do not, you will receive phone calls after a certain time so we can ensure your child is safe.
- Please complete the pre-arranged absence form, linked below or located on the Trailside Elementary website (under the Parent tab) at least two days in advance, and turn it into the front office.
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
Health Clinic Reminders
- All medication (prescription and OTC) must be brought in to the clinic (main office) by a parent/guardian. Students are not allowed to have any medication in their backpack, unless authorized in writing by a physician.
- When your child is ill, please call the main office and press 2 to leave a message on the attendance line. As always, we ask that children are fever-free for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducing medication prior to returning to school.
Food Service/ Cafe Information
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
- Lunch visitors will be welcome to come and eat with their child once starting Quarter Two of the school year. We will be launching a new sign-up procedure for parents to utilize who wish to come and eat during their child's lunch time - more information to come after school gets underway!
Come join the TSE Café Team and help serve lunch in a brand new kitchen!
A variety of options are available to fit your schedule, possibilities such as Job Sharing or Subbing! Call Jan at 317-733-4804 to explore!
Fall Break Child Care
ZCS GROW offers childcare during Fall Break, October 10th-14th at Pleasant View Elementary. This is for Preschool through 6th grade. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30. We will be taking 2 field trips: one to Beasley’s Orchard and one to the Indianapolis Zoo. On the other days kids get to go swimming at Zionsville High School. There is something fun planned every day that week!! The cost is $75/day for K-6th and $85/day for Preschool. Please register at www.ezchildtrack.com/zcsgrow/parent. If you have any questions, please contact Becca King at email@example.com. It’s a fun week to celebrate Fall!
Eagle Rec Classes
Fall 2022 classes are now open for registration!
Eagle Recreation and Enrichment Foundation, Inc. offers enrichment classes and athletic camps for students in Pre-School through High School. Many of these classes and camps are taught by local educators. We also offer programs from outside professionals who offer unique courses for students. Visit the ERE website www.zionsvilleeaglerec.com
A few weeks ago, during our Related Arts time, Mrs. Tena Plewa came in to talk to the 3rd and 4th grade classes about the string family of instruments. The focus was on the basics of how string instruments work and the differences between the violin, viola, and cello. This included how the strings produce sound, how to properly handle the instruments, and what a group of instruments can do. Tena Plewa, a Certified Music Educator, teaches an after school orchestra program through Eagle Recreation and Enrichment. Classes this semester began on September 6, 2022 and will continue at Trailside every Tuesday after school from 2:30 - 3:30 in the Music Room.
It is not too late to sign up - Registration is now open on the Eagle Recreation and Enrichment Website. https://register.ryzer.com/camp.cfm?sport=24&id=224059
Please contact Tena Plewa directly for any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-223-8822
Girls Positivity Club, led by Mrs. Sigmund, is now accepting registrations: https://register.ryzer.com/camp.cfm?id=225296
Constitution Day is on September 17, 2022. If you would like to learn more about Constitution Day, please check out the National Endowment for the Humanities who provides content on the Constitution through the EDSITEMENT web site: http://edsitement.neh.gov/constitution-day
Additionally, Saturday, 17, 2022 is Smithsonian Day and many of our local museums will have free admission on September 17, 2022. Please check out Indy’s Child website for more information regarding free admission to Connor Prairie, Eiteljorg Museum, Indiana Historical Society and other locations. Indy’s Child Website