Week of January 18th- 22nd, 2021
This Week at Academy of St. Benedict
This is an exciting week for us as we welcome back our in-person learners on Tuesday, January 19th. Thank you for filling out the survey so that we were able to plan accordingly. If you didn't complete the survey, please do so today. We are so grateful for the cooperation of all of our families during the remote period. We truly are a community.
Tomorrow there is no school as we commemorate and celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. One of my favorite and guiding quotes from MLK is Life's most persistent and urgent question, "What are you doing for others?" Do you have a favorite quote?
School opens for morning care on Tuesday at 6:15 AM. The doors open for students at 7:30 AM. Breakfast will be available until 7:55. Classes start promptly at 8. Students must be in class at 8 AM. Please help us improve our on-time attendance rate! Tardiness disrupts the entire class.
Students should be in proper uniform, bring their Chromebook, Chrome Tablet, or Samsung tablets with the chargers, and any books back to school on Monday. Students do need to have their masks. It's imperative that masks are worn properly and social distancing is maintained. As a reminder, any person who is on our property must have their mask on properly (up over the nose) as we work to keep everyone safe.
There is a mandatory Zoom (passcode 499890) meeting for families who have chosen to stay remote. We look forward to having this time with our e-learning families to discuss expectations moving forward.
The guidance around quarantines due to travel has been updated. Please see the guidance and states here.
Please make plans to NOT send students to school in any part of the orange PE uniform. It was retired two years ago. All students should be in their light blue PE uniforms on the appropriate days. The crew neck sweatshirt can be worn over the polo on cold days. Also, students must be in uniform every day. We have the polo shirts in the school building available for $10/each. Martinelli's on 95th in Evergreen Park sells the gym uniform.
Many families applied for both the Big Shoulders SGO and Empower Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship program. Please keep an eye on your emails to complete the next steps.
The school office is open from 6:30 AM to 4 PM. Please call the office to make an appointment.
If you need help with your tuition plan, there are a few options. All begin with a phone call or email to Ms. Murphy or to me. From there, we can set up an income tax agreement. Many families will be receiving a refund at tax time after filing their FY20 taxes. Another option for some families may be using some of your Federal stimulus money. We certainly understand and respect that either of these may not work for your family. The most important thing is that you contact us so that 1. we know there's a problem and 2. we can develop a plan with you.
We have time designated on Wednesday, January 27th, and Thursday, January 28th from 3:30-5 PM to set up tax agreements or make adjustments to contracts. Appointments may be set up for phone calls or Zoom meetings.
We value you and your family. These unprecedented times are challenging for everyone.
Tips for Successful e-Learning
- Have a designated space for schoolwork, ideally a table/desk.
- Be ready to begin instruction at 8 AM daily -join me on the school's FB page!
- Have all supplies for the day at the workspace.
- Participate in class Zooms by asking questions.
- When not speaking on Zoom, be on mute.
- Reach out to teachers when there is a question.
- Stick to the daily schedule designed by the teacher.
Please discourage eating and drinking near the school-owned Chrome Books and Tablets. If your child's device isn't working properly, please contact me.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- January 18th - Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday - NO SCHOOL today
- January 19th - School building reopens for in-person learning
- January 25th- 29th - Catholic Schools Week
- January 28-February 1st - Double Good Popcorn Fundraiser
- February 12th - Planning day - No school for students
- February 15th - Presidents' Day - No school for students
- February 19th - End of the second trimester
- February 22nd - last day for e-learners to return to the building for the 20-21 school year
- February 26th - Parent-teacher conferences (via Zoom) - 11:30 dismissal
Families have a 6-PAW commitment for the year. We also will accept 3 Lysol wipes, disinfecting spray, or a combination of the two for a PAW.