The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!
This week we took the plunge into the meat of our informational units! We have been researching and learning all about specific animals in order to become expert teachers for our audience. I have been stunned by the fascinating information students are sharing about their animals and I cannot believe the quality of writing that is starting to come through. I love that even though students are writing non-fiction, their voice and personality still shines through. This week has truly reminded me just how unique each student is and how their learning is unique.
This week we also took the time to celebrate our year so far with our Fall Party! A huge shout out to all who donated whether it was items needed or time spent with the students! Thank you to Rosa O. for heading up the party and making it something the kids would love!
Here is a look at our topics next week:
- Language Arts: We will continue with our animal writing moving from drafting to revising!
- Math: We will finish up unit three and begin our unit on measurement and geometry!
- Reading: We will continue our informational unit, looking at how readers of non-fiction text find main ideas and supporting details as they read .
- Word Study: They will continue with their sorts as usual. I highly encourage your child to bring his/her Word Study Notebook home throughout the week. They are learning to take notes each day and this is the best source for them to study.
- November 11: Veteran's Day Celebration
- November 17: STEM Night (Come have fun with us!)
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.