THE FLIGHT RECORDER
Statesville Road Elementary's Weekly Staff Newsletter
Principal's Point to Ponder
This week's point to ponder is centered around my attitude of gratitude. No one on the outside of Statesville Road really understands the work each of you do on a daily basis. No matter what your position, you play a major role in making our school run smoothly and making this a great place for our students to learn. As I have gone through classrooms lately, I have seen your preparation and planning in practice. I have listened as you encouraged, praise, and motivated your students to be and do their best. As I have met with individuals lately, I have appreciated your desire for feedback and your willingness to reflect on the quality of teaching and learning in your classrooms. As I have been involved in parent meetings with our student services and intervention teams, I have seen the passion and compassion that is offered to our families who are in crisis. As I have walked the hallways lately, I have an overwhelming sense of pride to know that the adults in our building have created a visually appealing learning environment within one of the oldest facilities in CMS. Our staff works hard and hard work always pays off. I say it all the time, but please know that especially at this point of the year, I am moved to say with sincere gratitude and appreciation, THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!
Instructional Strategy of the Week
Have you walked the hallways and read the walls of Statesville Road lately? Learning from inside the classrooms has spilled out onto our non-classroom spaces. The building has been transformed to reflect many countries and the diverse cultures of our world. Student work on display that is aligned to classroom instruction makes a perfect environment for 'visual learning'. Students are discussing the countries in passing, reading the walls, and are excited about learning simply because of the change in the physical environment. Shouldn't each unit be treated with the same creativity and visual appeal?
Kudos / General Reminders / Agreements
- Kudos to Walser for preparing all the 'behind the scenes' documents and logistics for our IB Reauthorization Visit. There is a lot of paperwork, organization, and preparation that is required prior to the official visit. Thank you for your dedication to this process and for your follow-through. Our visit will be great!
- Kudos to the Student Services Team for the ice cream sundaes last Friday!! Thank you for doing your part to make our work day a little sweeter! :)
- Kudos to all of our TAs for your flexibility last week. You all always serve with a smile and never complain when asked to work outside of your normal day. Thank you for all you do to 'fill in the gaps' when needed.
- Kudos to Stackhouse, Hall, and Patterson for giving of your time to work at the CMS Job fair this past Saturday. Kudos to Stackhouse and Lungarini for giving up your Friday evening to work the CMS job fair this past Friday. I could not have handled the crowd or made good hiring selections without your discernment and assistance.
- HEADS UP: CMS has scheduled progress reports to go home May 7th. We will send our 4th quarter progress reports home in the May 12th Tuesday Folder. Please plan accordingly.
- If you have not already done so, please complete the spring Teacher Insight Survey. Each certified teacher should have received an email from K12 Insight with your unique link to the survey. Your link should not be shared, so do not forward it to a colleague. At last report, Statesville Road only had 9 surveys completed. Please complete your survey this week. Thanks!
Monday, April 27, 2015 (Day 1)
- 7:55am : Monday Meeting
- 8:30am - 10:30: IB Classroom Visits
- 1:15pm: IB Meets with 3rd Grade Teachers (Conference Room)
- 2:15pm: IB Meets with 4th Grade Teachers (Conference Room)
- 6:00pm: PTA Board Meeting (Conference Room)
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 (Day 2)
- 8:00am - 10:00am: IB Classroom Visitis
- 10:00am: IB Meets with 1st Grade Teachers
- 10:45am: IB Meets with Kindergarten Teachers
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm: IB Classroom Visits
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 (Day 3)
- Rehearsals for Multicultural Assembly (during special area times)
- 3:30pm STAFF MEETING
Thursday, April 30, 2015 (Day 4)
- International Festival (logistics to be discussed at Wednesday's Staff Meeting)
Friday, May 1, 2015 (Day 5)
- 8:00am - 8:30am: Reading Buddies
- 1:30pm Multicultural Assembly (please wait to be called to the multi-purpose room)