Independent Study Project
What is Down Syndrome?
- Down Syndrome is when A person has only 21 chromosomes which the usual human being has 23.
How Does Down Syndrome effect Everyday activities?
- It will make a person sometimes look different and act different,
- For example sometimes they face will be flatter and eyes may be slanted down,
- Also most people with down syndrome process things slower and it might be hard for them to listen and learn.
Can down syndrome be treated or cured?
- It is possibly medically manageable which means there are treatments for so cases that can be fixed.
- Lifestyle- Physical exercise
- Devices- Tympanostomy tube, Glasses
- Procedures- Adenoidectomy
- Therapies- Support group.
- At school there are also different electives and different classrooms for kids with special needs.
What is Epilepsy?
- A disorder in which nerve cell activity in the brain is disturbed, causing seizures.
How does Epilepsy effect everyday activities?
- It effects everyday activities because people can experience anxiety, depression, or fear so they could be very scared to go in public.
- It could also can make you aura or pins and needles muscle spasms or muscle twitch which might make you do different things in public.
- Also is causes mental confusion or amnesia, fatigue or fainting, seizures, staring spells, headache, sleepiness, or temporary paralysis after a seizure.
Can Epilepsy be treated or cured?
- The treatments are: Pills and injections such as Topamax, Keppra and many more.
What is Spina Bifida?
- Spina Bifida literally means "Split Spine" A birth defect in which a developing baby's spinal cord fails to develop properly.
- Came from birth not able to get over time.
How does Spina Bifida effect everyday activities?
- Some people have: brown spot on skin, skin cyst, or large birthmarks, stiff muscles, muscle weakness, or overactive reflexes, intellectual disability, paralysis, physical deformity, nerve injury, hunched back, or paralysis of the body's lower half.
Can Spina Bifida be treated or cured?
- It can be treated by back-braces and casts
- Also physical therapy and physical exercises also a procedure can be done that is called Adenoidectomy.
"What Is Down Syndrome?" - National Down Syndrome Society. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015. <http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/What-Is-Down-Syndrome/>.
"Epilepsy Center: Symptoms, Seizures, Treatments, Causes, and Tests."WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/>.
"Epilepsy Foundation." Learn. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2015. <http://www.epilepsy.com/learn>.
"Spina Bifida." Definition. Mayo Clinic, 27 Aug. 2014. Web. 12 Mar. 2015. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/spina-bifida/basics/definition/con-20035356>.