Inside the Computer
sections of the motherboard
Definition and Role
- CPU= stands for 'Central Processing Unit', It is basically like the brain for the computer.
- CPU fan= is a fan that cools down the CPU so it does not over heat.
- RAM= stands for 'Random Access Memory', it is the short term memory of the computer.
- Northbridge= it connects the CPU to other components.
- Southbridge= it connects the northbridge to other components inside the computer including the USB.
- VGA Port= Stands for 'Video Graphics Array'.
- DVI Port= Stands for 'Digital Video Interface'.
- USB= Stands for 'Universal Serial Bus.' The USB is the most common type of computer port used in today's computers.
- NIC= Stands for 'Network Interface Card.'
- Audio Jacks= they are the in and out sound sockets to connect the headphones and microphone
- AGP Slot= stands for 'Accelerated Graphics Port'. AGP is a type of expansion slot designed specifically for graphic cards
- PCI Slot= Stands for 'Peripheral Component Interconnect.' is a place to connect external devices, like a camera
- PCI-E Slot= is a modren type of PCI Slot.
- CMOS battery= Stands for 'Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor.' This technology is typically used in making transistors.
- SATA Port= Stands for 'Serial Advanced Technology Attachment'
- IDE Connector= stands for both 'Integrated Device Electronics' and 'Integrated Development Environment.'