Parent Blast - March 14, 2022
Opportunities to Connect
Thank you to all of the students and families that joined us last week for our first writing and storytelling night and for joining us on our first virtual event journey. While we prefer to interact in-person, we received some positive feedback in how we structured the event to make it work! We will be announcing raffle winners tomorrow morning and getting several students new books! If you were unable to come to the event, you should still be able to celebrate your child's hard work in writing and participate in some of the activities linked in their Google Classroom.
Wednesday night we have our monthly Booster Club Meeting and we encourage all community members to join us in-person in the library or online using this Google Meet Link. It takes our whole community working together to support our students' learning and growth and we are grateful for this ongoing support!
Below please check out these other exciting opportunities to connect:
- Rock-Paper-Scissors Tournament
- Oregon Battle of the Books (OBOB)
- Noodles & Co. Family Restaurant Night
- Spring Out Hillsboro Community Event
- District Kindergarten Fair
- Talent Show
Here to serve,
Principal, Patterson Elementary
- February 28 - March 18th - Patterson's A-MAZ-ING Reading Competition (last week)!
- March 1 - Kindergarten Registration Opens for 2022-2023
- March 10-18 - ELPA (English Language Proficiency Assessment)
- March 16 - Classroom Rock-Paper-Scissors Tournaments
- March 16 - Booster Club Meeting, 6:30 pm
- March 17-18 - School-Wide Rock-Paper-Scissors Tournament Begins!
- March 19 - Spring Out Event, 9-12 pm (see below)
- March 31 - Noodles & Co. Family Restaurant Night, 4-8 pm
- April 1 - Talent Show Submissions due to Mrs. Crackel
- April 14 - District Kindergarten Fair at Lincoln Street, 6-8 pm
- April 19 - Band Concert at GHS
- April 29 - OMSI Day at Patterson
Masking Optional - March 14th
We understand that some families want their children to consistently mask at school. Due to the option to mask or unmask, our staff will not be reminding students throughout the day to mask. Please make sure you talk with your child and share expectations prior to coming to school.
**For the time being we will not be opening up drinking fountains, as we have several that need to be replaced/repaired. We will continue to use faucets to fill up water bottles and have some bottled water available if needed in the office.
Oregon’s mask mandate for K-12 schools lifted just before midnight on Friday, March 11. Starting today, mask wearing will be optional with the following exceptions:
- Masks may be required in other specialized settings, based on the needs of students.
- Masks are required in school health and isolation rooms.
- Masks are required of all visitors in our schools during the normal school day.
- Masks are required for unvaccinated staff members
Masking will be optional on school buses as well.
With indoor masking becoming optional for most people, we want to emphasize that it truly is a choice for students and vaccinated staff. At Patterson we will be using the phrasing "it's your family's choice." Some classes have already had discussions about this upcoming change and staff are emphasizing that we continue to be respectful towards both choices at school.
Other changes starting March 14th include:
- We will discontinue contact tracing at school
- We will return to Too Sick for School Guidance and students with primary symptoms or positive test for COVID-19 will need to stay home for 5 days and may return on day 6 with reduced symptoms and 24 hour fever-free.
- We will return to cohort notification if there is a positive case
- We will discontinue Test to Stay and shift to enhanced exposure testing
Volunteers will continue to have a vaccination requirement and fingerprints will be added on March 28th. Volunteers will have the option to mask or unmask due to the vaccination requirement.
Adi's Act Lessons - 6th Grade
Oregon Battle of the Books
Our Google Classroom can be accessed here: https://classroom.google.com/c/NDc2NTcxMzA1MDAy?cjc=ossvhg2 . We will be using the meeting link in that classroom this Wednesday and for some of our group meetings. You can also email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll answer them as soon as I'm able.
Booster Club News
Please check out this volunteer opportunities around Patterson and sign up! Thank you to our Booster Club for organizing this.
Papa Murphy's Pizza Night Fundraiser
Join us at Papa Murphy's on the second Friday of each month this school year and help us fundraise for Patterson!
Kindergarten Registration Open
QPR (Question-Persuade-Refer) Community Training (Suicide Prevention)
FREE QPR training is open to our Hillsboro community on March 16th from 6:00-8:00pm. Registration is needed and that can be done by having interested participants email Angie Jimenez, email@example.com.
Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) Dates
Here is our schedule for CSE lesson this school year:
- Kinder: May 16-27
- 1st Grade: March 28-April 11
- 2nd Grade: May 16-27
- 3rd Grade: March 7-18
- 4th Grade: May 31-June 13
- 5th Grade: May 31-June 13
- 6th Grade: March 7-18
Thank you to our families for calling students in sick on our attendance line and sharing symptoms. This has helped us to communicate with families regarding timelines for return and kept our building safe and healthy. If you have not done so already, we encourage you to save our attendance line number in your phone: 503.844.1385