BACK TO SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
What's in this issue?
2) August-September Calendar
3) Back to School
- New Administration
- Honor Code
4) Lightridge Counseling
- 22-23 Book Club
- Schedule changes
6) Bolt Clubs & Activities
- Welcome our new Student Activities and Engagement Coordinator
- Paint the Lot
- College applications
- Senior Parent Night
8) Lightridge Athletics
- Important Dates
- Athletic Boosters
10) Listen Up Lightridge!
- Back to School bash
- Be the LIGHT
11) Lightridge PTSO
A Note from Dr. Hitchman...
Welcome to the start of the 2022-2023 school year! We look forward to welcoming almost 1800 students and 200 staff members to Lightridge High School on Thursday, August 25. While this will technically be our third year, in some ways it feels like the second or even the first. While we still are feeling the effects of the COVID global pandemic, the start of the 2022-2023 school year is much different than the start of last school year.
During these past three years, our students and staff have been through a lot. Please know the safety and security of our students, staff, visitors, and guests is our number one priority. While some of our entry and dismissal policies may take a little longer this year, especially with an increase of 350 students, the guidelines have been established to help protect our most valuable resources, our students and staff. All visitors to Lightridge should enter through the front entrance during the school day. Students should also enter through either the front doors or bus loop doors at the start of the day.
This year we will welcome over 520 9th grade students to Lightridge. Our 9th grade student orientation will be held on Tuesday, August 23 from 9:00-11:00 am and we encourage all 9th grade students to attend. The event is for 9th grade students only and students will have the opportunity to “walk their schedule.” We also have a few games and activities planned for our 9th grade students. The open house for 10th-12th grade students will be held from 11:30-12:30 on Tuesday, August 23. The Parent Back to School Night is scheduled for Wednesday, September 14 from 6:30-8:30 pm and will provide parents the opportunity to experience what their child experiences while at Lightridge.
At the end of last school year, the Loudoun County School Board adopted a new 5 year strategic plan. While the strategic plan may be new, the focus of the plan remained the same; keeping students at the center of all we do. Everyday we will strive to empower all students to make meaningful contributions to the world and help them achieve their goals and dreams. I am proud to serve as the principal of Lightridge High School and excited about the start of the 2022-2023 school year. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.,” is a line from one of my favorite movies. While the month of June may seem far away, especially for our seniors, I promise you the school year will go by quickly. I encourage everyone to not count the number of days remaining, but instead to make each day count! I look forward to collaborating and communicating with you this year. Let’s celebrate our achievements and support each other when necessary. Thank you for taking the time to read our Back to School newsletter and together, we light the way!
Dr. Ryan P. Hitchman
AUGUST23 - Freshman Orientation, 9am-11am
23 - 10th-12th Grade Open House, 11:30-12:30pm
31 - Freshman Transition Parent Night, 6:30pm
2 - SAT registration deadline for the October test date
2 - NO SCHOOL
5 - NO SCHOOL - LABOR DAY
6-7 - Lightridge Club and Activity Fair during Spark Session
8 - Senior Parent Night, 6:30pm
9 - Back to School Bash, 5-7pm (see flyer)
10 - ACT Test Date (not at Lightridge)
14 - Back to School Parent Night, 6:30pm
19-20 - Underclassmen Pictures
22 - Dulles South Financial Aid Information Night with NVCC, 7pm at LRHS
26 - NO SCHOOL
27-30 - Spirit Week
30 - Homecoming Game
1 - Homecoming Dance
1 - SAT Test Date
NEW SCHOOL TIMES!!!
Here is the new breakdown of Assistant Principal responsibilities:
Mr. Jeremy Cortash, students with last names A-Dh
Dr. Felecia Lewis, students with last names Di-Kun
NEW TBD, students with last names Kuo-Ra
Mr. Sundar Thirukkurungudi, students with last names Re-Z
First Day of School Information Available Monday August 15
Beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, August 15, please sign into ParentVUE to complete the Online Verification process as part of Loudoun County Public Schools’ First Day of School Information initiative. This process is required for all families to review and update important information about their students as we begin the 2022-23 school year, and must be completed no later than Friday, September 23. Once completed, you will be able to view student schedules and bus information in ParentVUE.
- If you do not have a ParentVUE account, please contact Shetal.Patel@lcps.org in the counseling office.
- For more information about this Online Verification process, along with FAQs about the First Day of School, please visit: www.lcps.org/FirstDay.
All Lightridge students will have the option to be assigned a school locker for use during the academic day. Students can request to “opt-in” for a locker by completing the attached Google form and requesting students will receive their locker assignment from the main office after completing the Google form. All lockers will be provided on a first come, first served basis and locker combinations and information will be provided securely through each student's advisory teacher. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Cortash.
Mrs. Campbell, Director of School Counseling
Ms. Schrader, last names A-Be
Ms. Holley, last names Bh-Dh
Mrs. Zawistowski, last names Di-Ha
Dr. Dietrich, last names He-Kun
Ms. Rose, last names Kur-M
TBD, last names N-Ra
Mrs. Perinis, last names Re-Sta
Ms. Wollenberg, last names Ste-Z
- SCHEDULES: We understand that some of our students have found a backdoor into viewing their schedules. Please understand, we are still working to resolve some scheduling errors, manage staffing changes, and balance classes. Therefore, your schedule is not final until it is live in Phoenix. Schedules are expected to go live on August 15.
- SCHEDULE CHANGES: Our Bolts had an opportunity to make course request changes from February-June 15, 2022. We asked that ample time be given to the process and consideration be given to all courses being selected. Given such, at this time we are NOT accepting any changes to student schedules unless there is an error in the schedule. An error is considered: student has been scheduled into a course previously passed, student has been scheduled into a course out of sequence (i.e., Spanish 3 before Spanish 1), student did not pass a class that was a prerequisite for another, student has an incomplete schedule, senior is missing a requirement for graduation. We are currently still enrolling quite a few new students to our Lightridge Community. Until we get them scheduled, we will not be able to accept schedule change requests, allowing our new students to have an opportunity to have seats in their requested classes. Based on current enrollment appointments, we will likely begin to consider schedule change possibilities on September 6. However please understand, changes at that time are only requests and not requirements, not all changes may be possible due to space limitations, and we will not be able to guarantee that your schedule will remain intact as multiple class and teacher changes may be required.
- TEACHER REQUESTS: Lightridge High School takes pride in our faculty. All of our teachers work collaboratively together within CLT’s to deliver content material by subject area in line with each other. This assures that no matter the teacher, students can be assured they are all receiving the same material, instruction and content. We believe this helps ensure a streamlined approach by class and by department. With that being said, requests for teacher changes will not be considered.
WELCOME TO LIGHTRIDGE
- Class of 2026
- Class of 2025
- Class of 2024
- Class of 2023
Please email Shetal.Patel@lcps.org and we will place one in the main office with your name on it and you can pick it up!
Please be sure to check out our weekly newsletter from Barrie Sheivert that focuses on all things college and career!
THEATRE INTEREST MEETING
Lightridge Theatre will hold an interest meeting to provide audition information for the fall play "Clue" at 4:30 in room 1216, the blackbox theatre. Students interested in tech theatre positions for Clue must fill out the application by September 1st. Tech application can be found in Lightridge Theatre Schoology group or stop by room 1216.
On July 1, 2021, House Bill 1090 went into effect. This bill amends the minimum vaccination requirements for students attending a public or private elementary, middle, or high school (Code of Virginia § 32.1-46. A.4).
Rising 12th grade students are required to have one dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 16 or older.
Twelfth grade students cannot begin school on August 25th without documentation of the Meningococcal vaccine.
- While some of you may be ready for us to process your applications, there is a sequence that needs to be followed. We will not begin working on college applications until September 1. Please see our website for everything you need to know about how a college application is processed. Additionally, we will hold information sessions during Spark Session in September to help you.
- We will hold a Senior Information Night for students and parents on Thursday September 8 at 6:30pm. Please plan to attend.
Lightridge Library strives to be the heart of our diverse community. We provide a place for students to learn and appreciate the power of print and digital information through universal access to knowledge. We encourage literacy, inquiry, and social-emotional health. We welcome all Lightridge community members to learn, discover, create, and connect in our vibrant, joyful space! We are excited to welcome students and staff for the 2022-2023 School Year!
- Hours – The Lightridge Library is excited to welcome everyone back with our full compliment of services for the 2022-2023 school year! With the adjustment of the bell schedule, the Lightridge Library will be open 8:15am to 4:18pm daily.
- Visiting – The Lightridge Library will be providing a full library orientation to all 9th grade students through their English classes. A brief refresher orientation will be given to all students via Spark Sessions or Study Hall. Students are always welcome to visit the library before or after school or anytime during the day with an eHallPass.
- Back to School Night - Did you know we encourage parents as library patrons? We’d love to see all community members at Back to School Night and welcome book checkout to everyone!
Lightridge High School Parent-Teacher-Student Organization (LHS PTSO) a 501(c)(3) Organization, is made up of volunteers from the LHS community. Our goal is to provide support and service to the students, families, staff, and community of Lightridge High School; to promote a spirit of caring, good citizenship, and respect for others within the school and community; and to encourage family and community involvement in the education of all students.
What does the LHS PTSO do?
o Support LHS Staff
Fund faculty and staff initiatives and projects throughout the year that don't otherwise receive funding.
Show appreciation to faculty and staff through a snack shack, school breakfast, holiday treats, staff appreciation week activities, and more.
o Support LHS Students
Coordinate and support events for the students including treats, club, and activity support.
Fill student fundraising gaps where appropriate.
o Support LHS Parents
Provide a forum for parents through monthly meetings to collaborate with faculty and staff to ask questions, express concerns, share views, and give appreciation.
Host guest speakers.
Provide an opportunity to connect with other Lightridge parents.
How do we fund our programs?
Funds are raised through dues and fundraisers such as test prep partnerships, Amazon Smile, and grocery links. 100% of funds are returned to the students and staff through programs approved by the board via vote.
How do I get involved?
Become a member and/or volunteer! The PTSO is available to support all groups in the school, either with funds or with volunteers. Please join us so that we can provide funding and volunteer support to as many organizations throughout the school as we can reach. Join the PTSO today and help make a difference. The PTSO is open to any student, parent/guardian of a Lightridge student, or any member of the Lightridge staff.
HT Together in Education
Lightridge High School is participating in Harris Teeter's Together in Education program! Our account number is 6906 and you can link your VIC card to Lightridge by clicking here or tell your cashier during check-out that you want Lightridge’s account number linked to your Harris Teeter VIC card.
Welcome Back Breakfast
Greetings Lightridge Parents,
On, Wednesday, August 17th our Teachers and Staff return to school. Lets welcome them back with a hearty breakfast as they spend the day preparing for the school year.
Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up by Tuesday, August 16th.
All donations should be at the school's main office no later than Wednesday, August 17th @ 8:00AM
Thank you in advance for your continued support!