October early edition
Due to students being out for at least 2 days for Hurricane Ian, we are sending the newsletter out a little early.
A few things that your child could do: (none of these are required, but optional)
- Do iReady on their computer. All students K-5 do this daily, so they should know how to get on.
- Log into CANVAS on their desktop, and click on resources (left hand side menu) - click on SORA to read books online. Online books, read alouds, etc.
- Log into CANVAS icon on their desktop. Click on Pebble Go. In the search bar, research anything they would like... hurricanes, countries, etc. It has a read a loud feature.
- Practice fluency facts (=,-,x)
- Review the Leader in Me Section later in this newsletter for family ideas
Stay safe! And we will see you soon! As of today, Monday, Sept. 26, school is only closed Tuesday and Wednesday, BUT follow the CCPS website for daily updates.
Family Time - Competition - Sept. 26
Message from the Principal
Hello Lely Lions!
It has been an amazing first nine weeks of school! I am so honored to be able to serve alongside such an amazing staff and serve our students each and every day! My favorite part of my day is interacting with students in the classrooms, morning arrival, and lunch! The students make me smile and make work not seem like work! We have so many things to celebrate and look forward to many more celebrations of our students' greatness! There are so many opportunities for you to get involved from attending school events, volunteering for field trips, asking your child about what they are reading, and talking with them about all the things they love about their school day! If you ever have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important School Events
Oct. 4 - Brighter Bites distribution 3:00- 5:30 PM
Oct. 5- No School
Oct. 14 - End of first 9 weeks
Oct. 17 - No School
Oct. 20- St. Matt's House Food distribution (open to any families) 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Oct. 21- Red Walk to kick off Red Ribbon Week - Parents may attend 1:00- 3:00 PM
Oct 24-28 - Red Ribbon Week dress up days (see details later in newsletter)
Oct. 25 - Kinder, 3rd, & 1st grade award ceremonies (invite only- see specific details below)
Oct. 25 - SAC parent meeting 4:00 PM
Oct. 26- 5th, 4th, & 2nd grade award ceremonies (invite only- see specific details below)
Oct. 27 - PreK Awards ceremony 9 AM
Oct. 27 - Family Fall Festival 5:15 - 7:00 PM
Nov. 1 - Virtual Learning Day for students (students at home)
Nov. 4 - LES Everblades Hockey game
It is an ideal way for people and communities to unite and take a visible stand against drugs. Show your personal commitment to a drug-free lifestyle through the symbol of the Red Ribbon, October 23 - 31st.
To kick off our commitment to stand against drugs, we will kick off the week by having a Red Walk. Students will patriciate in a short walk and other activities along the walk that support being drug free! This will take place from 1- 3:00 PM on Friday, October 21. Parents are invited to attend. We just as that you check into the front office by 12:45.
We will also have daily themes of dress up to remind of of being drug free:
- Friday, October 21 - Red Walk Kick off - wear a red shirt
- Monday, October 24 - "Join the fight against bullying/drugs" - wear your favorite superhero clothing
- Tuesday, October 25 - "Sock" it to drugs" - Wear mismatched or any cool looking socks
- Wednesday, October 26 - "Be your best with a healthy lifestyle!" dress in your best red-carpet outfit - dress up day!
- Thursday, October 27 - "Drugs are hairy scary!" - Wear you hair in a crazy hair style.
- Friday, October 28 - "Put drugs to sleep!" - Wear you pajamas
It's that time of year! It's Showtime! Time to celebrate our students' successes with award ceremonies for the 1st nine weeks.
Students who will be receiving an award will receive an invitation for you to come to the event. If you do not receive an invitation, your child will not be receiving an award for the 1st nine week.
These events are for only those receiving invitations.
PreK - Thurs. Oct. 27 at 9:00 AM
Kinder - Tuesday, October 25
1st- Tuesday, October 25
2nd - Wednesday, October 26
3rd- Tuesday, October 25
4th - Wednesday, October 26
5th - Wednesday, October 26
Lely Elementary's PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) has SOOO many great things happening!
- Popcorn is popped every Friday and sold for $1 a bag. Funds raised go to pay for things for the students such as field trips, rewards, etc.
- Back to School Bingo Bash had over 100 participants!! Great prizes won that night!
- Family Fall Festival - Oct. 27 from 5:15 - 6:45! Free entrance! Free games and activities! Food for sale!
- Lely Elementary night at the Everblades hockey game! Section 117 reserved for us! Friday, November 4. Buy your tickets now using this link. bladestix.com/lely
* We need your help! There are many ways you can volunteer here at school OR from your home! Please click the link below to see various opportunities to help and sign up for various events.
Leader in Me at Lely
The first week of October, we will be discussing Habit 1.
During the first week of October, ask your child about being proactive. During Connect for Success time (each Tues. and Thurs), your child will be participating in activities relating to being proactive.
The second week of October, we will be discussing Habit 3.
During the second week of October, ask your child about putting first things first. During Connect for Success time (each Tues. and Thurs), your child will be participating in activities relating to putting first things first.
For more information on the habits...
Click on this link for activities you can do at home with these two habits!
The HUB of the School - LES media center
Reading Counts Scoreboard!
In grades 1-5, ask your child about what book they are reading! Ask them how many points they have? Students read books, take tests, and earn points! This scoreboard is a class tracker of points!
Each student in grades 1-5 is assigned a lexile reading level. They can easily find these books in the media center by looking at the colored labels.
SAC - School Advisory Council
Congratulations to our new parent SAC members who were elected to serve on SAC!
Diana Rosa Gonzalez
We also welcome back our previous members:
Tia Denis (staff)
Megan Noe (staff)
Candice Collins (staff)
Tasha Small (staff)
Jainy Maldonado (staff)
Reina Hernandez (parent)
CJ Noel (parent)
Peterson Pierre (parent)
Karen Conley (Community member)
Ruth Ann Martin (Community member).
We meet once a month! Dates and times are posted on our school website. Even if you are not on the SAC committee, all parents are invited to attend to hear about Lely Elementary! We share information about our Title One plan, budgets, staffing, academic data and progress, etc. Translation is provided, if needed.