May 15, 2016
NEWS & NOTES
DELL LAPTOP FIX: On Monday, 5/16, tech representatives will be on campus to check and repair all Dell laptops that were issued to staff. This includes EVERYONE (not just teachers) who has a district issued Dell laptop. Please drop off your laptop in the office conference room for the repair during your planning time. It should take 5-20 minutes.
STAAR THANKS: We had another successful round of STAAR testing last week. Thanks so much to everyone for your flexibility with the changes in schedule. Once again, Maja McElveen and Susan Lane worked very hard to make sure every last STAAR detail was addressed AND they made special treats each day for teachers- HUGE thanks to you, Maja and Susan!
END OF YEAR FUN DAYS: The last week of school will be filled with all kinds of fun in classrooms, and we will add to that with a few school wide 'fun days':
- Tuesday, 5/31: Crazy Hat & Hair Day
- Wednesday, 6/1: Crazy Sock Day
- Thursday, 6/2: Davis Spirit Day- Wear Davis t-shirt or blue/gold
Please participate in these fun days and communicate this information to your students' parents.
SUMMER CLEANING SCHEDULE: The schedule is set for summer classroom cleaning and floor waxing. This is an approximate timeline of when custodians will clean each classroom. If you are planning on doing any work in your classroom over the summer, please email Jenny to check on the status of your room before coming to school.
- 6/2/2016: Roll Carpets After School
- 6/3-6/8: Move Portable 4 materials to 3rd Grade Common Area, Move Portable 5 materials to 3rd Grade Common Area, Move Portable 6 materials to Portable 4, Clean/wax Portables 5 & 6.
- 6/6-6/9: Portables 3,4,7,8, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, LSSP/Speech, Moon, Computer Lab
- 6/13-6/16: 101-110, Library, Lounge, Office
- 6/20-6/23: 403, 404, 407, 408
- 6/27-6/30: 201, 202, 209, 210, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310
- 7/18-7/21: 401, 402, 405, 406
- 7/25-7/28: 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208
- 8/1-8/4: Portables 1, 2, 9, & 10 (9 & 10 are new portable)
- 8/8-8/11: 501, 502, Cafeteria, Gym
TECHNOLOGY SURVEY- ADDITIONAL INPUT REQUESTED: Thank you all for completing the technology survey. We collected valuable information that will help us as we plan for technology integration going forward. We would like to ask for one more bit of information for clarification. If you responded 'agree' or 'strongly agree' to the survey item Technical problems prevent me from following my teaching plans in the classroom, please go to the link below and add a comment describing what technical problems you have encountered. This will help us greatly in making sure the issue is addressed.
NEW BELL SCHEDULE: Please note the new elementary schedule that will be in place for the upcoming school year. From AISD- During the period of April 12-29, 2016, four surveys were conducted to gather input from families and teachers about how House Bill 2610 would impact the 2016-2017 Bell Schedule. Each survey informed parents and teachers that “the bell schedule for all Austin ISD students will change this fall because of a new state law measuring the school day in minutes instead of days. To comply with this new law, AISD must extend the elementary school day, which affects transportation for our middle school and high school students. This also may affect when the school day starts and ends, and how we make up bad weather days. The results, from the two Messenger Phone Surveys, an online survey and a hard copy survey, supported the following 2016-2017 bell schedules that will begin on Monday, August 22, 2016.
ELEMENTARY: Current Bell Schedule 2016-17 Bell Schedule
7:45 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. 7:45 a.m. - 2:57 p.m. (7 hour 12 minute day)*
*The additional 12 minutes to the elementary instructional day provide enough minutes for students to not make up two (2) bad weather or emergency school closure days.
MIDDLE: Current Bell Schedule 2016-17 Bell Schedule
8:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 8:25 a.m. - 3:40 p.m. (7 hour 15 minute day)**
**There was no change in the total instructional minutes for the middle school day. Adjustment in bell time was only to accommodate the AISD tier-transportation schedule for more than 32,000 students. The total minutes in the instructional day will enable students not to make up two (2) bad weather days.
HIGH SCHOOL: Current Bell Schedule 2016-17 Bell Schedule
9:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (7 hour 30 minute day)***
***By adding 15 minutes to the high school instructional day, the schedule will accommodate: (1) the tier-transportation schedule; (2) students not having to make up two bad weather days; (3) continuation of the high school late-start days (75 minutes) and early release days (195 minutes for a 1:15 p.m. release) for final exams; and (4) a new early release day for graduation.
AISD will not be required to submit waiver requests to TEA for the two (2) bad weather days. These minutes are now factored into the instructional day.
GRANT OPPORTUNITY- PETS IN THE CLASSROOM: Pets in the Classroom is an educational grant program that provides financial support to teachers to purchase and maintain small animals in the classroom. The Pet Care Trust, a non-profit public foundation, established the grant program to support pets or aquariums in the classroom for the purposes of teaching children to bond with and care for their pets responsibly. Deadline: June 10, 2016 Award Amount: up to $125 Eligibility: All educators serving students in grades PK-8 How to Apply: The Pet Care Trust, in partnership with industry retailers and pet product suppliers, offers seven different Pets in the Classroom grant opportunities. A list of the grant opportunities can be found at: http://www.petsintheclassroom.org/grant-app/choose-a-grant/. 1. Choose Your Grant: Select one of the seven grant types based on the type of classroom pet you are seeking and where you like to shop for your pet supplies. 2. Contact Information: Applicants must include the FULL school name in their grant request. Applications with school district name or abbreviations will be cancelled. 3. Eligible Pets: Only small animals that reside in the classroom are eligible for the grant.
Each teacher will receive this checklist in your box on Monday. These are items that must be completed before leaving for summer break. Some may be completed at any time, while others require that you wait until after the last school day.
Some things to think about as we reflect on this year and plan for 'failing forward' together next year.........
LOOKING AHEAD: 5/16-5/20
- Bring Dell laptop to office conference room during planning time
- 21st Century Technology Assessment (5th)
- 10:30am-12:30pm: Costco Reception, Staff Lounge
- 3:00-4:30pm: 4th Grade Class Placement Meeting, Library
- 3:05-3:30pm: K 21st Century Planning
- 7:30am-12:30pm: Jenny D out; meeting @ CAC
- 8:15am-2pm: Aquarena Springs Field Trip (3rd)
- 8:30-10:30am: Zoo Show (1st), Library
- 11am-1pm: Science Lab Open House
- 10:45am-1:30pm: Symphony Field Trip (4th, 5th)
- 3:00-4:30pm: PreK Class Placement Meeting, Library
- 6:30-8:00pm: AISD Salute @ AISD Performing Arts Center- Recognizing Teachers of the Year, Teachers of Promise, and finalists from across the district of several positions. Nicole Garry will be recognized as Davis Teacher of the Year and Kayla Logan will receive recognition as Davis Teacher of Promise. A portion of the program will recognize our very own Teresa Clement as a finalist for AISD Classified Staff of the Year and highlight her contributions to Davis. The winner will also be announced. Come out to the PAC if you can!
- Happy Birthday Melani Novinger!
- Ocean Olympics (3rd-5th)
- 3:05-4:00pm: ILT Meeting, Library
- 3:05-3:30pm: 1st 21st Century Planning
- Ocean Olympics (K-2nd)
- 7:30-9:30am: Jenny D out; AVT meeting @ AHS
- 3:00-4:30pm: 3rd Grade Class Placement Meeting, Library
- 7-8pm: PTA Meeting, Music Rm
- 7:45-8:15am: MARE Assembly, Cafeteria
- Happy Birthday Nikki Salzberg!
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
5/23: All library student materials due
5/23, 3:05-3:30pm: 3rd 21st Century Planning
5/23, 3-4pm: Baby Shower for Jihyoung Baek, Library
5/24, 8-10am: Sandy Beach Rotations (2nd)
5/24, 3:05-4:00pm: Faculty Meeting, Snack provided by Special Education team
5/25: Grade Level Planning Meetings (during school day- schedule TBD)
5/25, 3:00-4:30pm: 1st Grade Class Placement Meeting, Library
5/25, 3:05-3:30pm: 5th 21st Century Planning
5/26: SSIS Training- Teachers meet in office conference room during planning time
5/26, 8-8:30am: Amelia Bedelia Hat Parade (2nd)
5/26, 9am-12:30pm: Safety Patrol Party @ Main Event
5/26, 3:05-3:30pm: 2nd 21st Century Planning
5/27: Staff Development Day, Student Holiday
5/30: Memorial Day; Staff/Student Holiday
5/31: Crazy Hat & Hair Day
5/31: All teacher library materials due
5/31, 9:30-10:15am: Fun with Chemistry Program (3rd), Cafeteria
5/31, 3:00-4:30pm: Faculty Meeting/Work Session- Cum. Folder Updates
6/1: TEMI Data Entry Deadline (K-2)
6/1: Crazy Sock Day
6/1, 8:00-9:30am: 5th Grade End of Year Celebration, Cafeteria
6/2: Davis Spirit Day
6/2: Balcones Woods Pool Party (5th)
6/2, 2:30-2:40pm: 5th Grade Graduation Procession
6/3, 7:45-8:45am: End of Year Staff Breakfast