Brave Theatre Globe
Work hard. Be nice. Have courage.
September 10, 2015
....And we're off!
- Announcements about Tribes (clubs) and t-shirts
- Classroom updates
- Audition information for sixth graders
Sixth Grade Classes
We completed our 6-word-memoir project and are now moving on to improvisation!
Your students watched this video: https://youtu.be/MUO-pWJ0riQ
And we learned that in improv, it's important to encourage each other when we drop the ball!
Ask your student:
- What was your six word memoir?
- How do you play "Drop the Ball"?
- Why is it important to say "yes" in improvisation?
Fifth Grade Classes
- We had a "challenge" day last week in the small gym, where students had to complete challenges to find facts about the playwright and time period of Peter Pan.
- This week, we talked about Peter Pan's shadow, and the students practiced focus, collaboration, and spatial awareness by mirroring the actions of a partner. (This is the activity pictured below!)
Ask Your Student:
- How would you design the shadow in Peter Pan?
- Who is the author of Peter Pan and who did he leave the rights to?
Auditions: Myths Busted! (6th Grade Theatre Only)
- Myths Busted! is a fun show about an ancient literature class that comes alive. More information and a script sample can be found here: https://www.pioneerdrama.com/SearchDetail.asp?pc=MYTHSBUSTE
- Auditions are OPTIONAL; it is not required for my class and it will not be graded in any way.
- I will not be able to place every student who auditions or interviews. There will be two other audition opportunities this year.
- Backstage crew interviews are the same time as auditions—just sign up for a time like the actors.
- This production will take place completely after school.
Auditions and Interviews
- Auditions will take place Wednesday, September 16th and Thursday, September 17th.
- Your student must sign up for a time after school to audition or interview. Auditions are scheduled for 10 minute intervals, so you may wait for your child. 2 students may audition at a time.
- If you can’t make the audition, let me know ASAP!
- DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHILD AFTER SCHOOL IF HE OR SHE HAS TO WAIT LONGER THAN 30 MINUTES. That is, if your child has signed up for a time after 3:30, please pick them up after school. I can’t hold auditions and look after those waiting; I need them to be here only during their time. I promise to release them right at 10 minutes. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Arrive at the doors by the cafeteria. Call my room if there is no one there, and I’ll come let you in!
- Stage Manager--essentially my assistant. Oversees other crews, takes notes for me, and manages backstage
- Set Crew--helps build the set and change scenes during the run
- Props Crew--helps gather and create all handheld items
- Lights--designs the look and runs the board during the show
- Sound--chooses sound effects and runs sound during the show
- Hair/Makeup--designs the look and fixes the hair and makeup of actors
- GRADES COME FIRST. If this activity interferes with your academics, then this activity is not for you.
- You must bring ALL of your scheduling conflicts and the audition form, filled out and signed. THE AUDITION FORM IS ON MY WEBSITE AND COPIES ARE IN MY CLASSROOM.
- If you want an acting role, you must memorize the Shel Silverstein's poem "This Bridge." A copy of this can be found on my website, in my classroom, and posted below.
- Students wishing to be on crew do not need to memorize anything, but they do need to be prepared to answer questions regarding their problem-solving skills, responsibility, etc.
- The first rehearsal will be Monday, September 21st from 2:45-4:00, with a parent meeting following from 4:00-4:30 pm. If you cannot make the parent meeting, I will make sure to get you all the information.
- Rehearsals will generally take place Mondays-Thursdays from 2:45-4:00. There are a few exceptions. A tentative rehearsal calendar is posted on my website: http://campus.kellerisd.net/Teachers/28252/default.aspx
- I expect each participant to be at all required rehearsals.
- We have one after school performance scheduled for Thursday, November 5th at 7:00 PM.
- In-school assemblies are scheduled for November 6th.
- If you cannot attend the performance, you cannot be in the play.
Audition Passage (to memorize)
SHEL SILVERSTEIN’S “THIS BRIDGE”
This bridge will only take you halfway there
To those mysterious lands you long to see:
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fairs
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and share
The twisting trails and wondrous worlds I’ve known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there–
The last few steps you’ll have to take alone.