Atchison Alternative School
Standard 2 Indicator 2.3
8:00 – 9:00 Legal with Mr. Mears HS
9:30 – 11:30 PLC Work
What is a PLC?
What are our believes?
QUESTIONS TO GUIDE THE WORK OF OUR PROFESSIONAL LEARNING COMMUNITY
Talk about the 4 beliefs, how can we build a collaborative team, and the characteristics of a learning community
1:00 – 4:00 Curriculum
2:00 Power School Jen Dryden
Common Core Essential Standards
4/23/14 PLC Minutes
People in Attendance: Paulette Augustine, Gerre Martin, Lynne Teaford, Caitlyn O’Sullivan (student teacher), Matt Nelson, Chelsey Matous, Christine Shade, Lori Jordan
People Missing: Jody Jones, Keenan Martin (Elementary School PLC), Kelsey Martin (Elementary School PLC)
Positives (in school):
- A former student came back!
- We have some students that will graduate!
Positives (out of school):
What we talked about: (Side note: I didn’t put in any names because I wasn’t sure about that. You can add names if you desire)
- Students and their progress academically.
- Students that are no longer getting open lunch.
- Options for students who are not doing well academically and how to push them in the right direction.
- Seniors and what they have left to complete.
- Students we are worried about academically and behavior.
- Students who have truancy issues.
- We have a student long term suspended, but will be in Target. (May be able to get her graduated next year. Cannot be full time until the start of second quarter next year.)
- T.S. starts half days starting tomorrow in A+ for remainder of year and after school program.
- Log entries that are not minor or major referrals should be put in as “FYI” in the subject.
- In School Suspension: we are losing a para, so we need to think about how to work ISS.
- We have a lot of students that are won’t.
- A.A. got behind in credits for social issues.
- B.A. here due to IEP and health issues (moved).
- S.B. at Effingham and was in Target.
- J.B. has no credits.
- D.C. dropped and came back.
- K came behind on credits.
- S.C. from Effingham and came back after going to a health area.
- D.C. no credits.
- K.D. behavior.
- B.E. behind on credits.
- A.E. at Effingham, Lawrence (a lot of movement) behind on credits.
- J came from MS and behind on credits.
- N.H. moved and behind on credits/dropped out. Came back.
- C.H. did property damage elsewhere.
- D.H. “can’t” do work in certain areas skill wise.
- L.H. is no longer using certain items he needs to be able to pay attention. Moved around a lot during high school career. Behind on credits.
- K.K. a bit too social, so wouldn’t work.
- A.L. has health issues and attendance issues.
- B.M. was a bit too social.
- D.N. was a “won’t.”
- T.O. is a “can’t” in some skill areas (moved around a lot), but mainly a “won’t.”
- J.R. has been moved around a lot and has some legal issues he is facing. J.R. is generally a “can’t.” Has self-confidence issues with academics.
- D.S. is social and a “won’t.”
- T.S. was moved around a lot and had to be placed in AAS due to age because of movement and getting behind from the moving.
- M here because of health issues and IEP.
- N.W. has some gaps but has health issues. A lot of lack of sleep.
- J.Z. behavior.
- Would the Alternative School be more successful if we got students before they were a senior?
- Could we come up with a specific criteria kids have to meet to come here to make sure we get kids earlier?
- Should we be a Tier 2 intervention?
- Would breaking up scheduling to 45 minute chunks (but still 90 minutes overall) for the class help?
- Have iPad issues and cell phone issues that lead to disruptions and lack of participation during class.
- Should we do an iPad cart and keep iPads here overnight? Check out sign up for overnight if needed for homework? iPads automatically restricted for all.