University School Staff Update
September 18-24, 2022
Congratulations to our students, faculty, staff, and school community for being recognized as a TN Reward School. This award is for outstanding student achievement and growth scores on the 2021-2022 TN Ready and EOC annual state assessments this past spring.
The tenure committee will meet on Monday, September 19th, at 3:20, in room 214.
All tenured faculty members should plan to attend.
The testing team at Mastery Connect attempted to work around our calendar needs but informed us they will be unable to have benchmarks loaded and available prior to next week.
This news has required a shift in our schedule and benchmarks will now take place the last week of school (9/20-9/23). We will do our best to share the detailed schedule and testing locations for students receiving testing accommodations by the end of the day.
- HS and Grade 5-8 testing Tuesday & Wednesday (Testing lab closed for non-benchmark assessments)
- Grades 3-4 testing Tuesday- Friday
The testing lab will be open for all class periods this week (9/12-9/16). Send Dr. Campbell an email or text if you need to change previously submitted assessments due the change with benchmarks.
We know this isn't ideal and hope it does not cause too much disruption to your daily schedules. Moving forward, the remaining benchmark windows are set open while we are in session and a similar situation is not likely. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Access Mastery Connect through Canvas
- Class Trackers have been created for all teachers.
- All students will need to attempt to access Mastery Connect using their univschool email BEFORE the day of benchmarks.
- A Mastery Connect Icon has been added to Canvas Accounts.
- Students who are unable to log in to Mastery Connect and view their current class trackers should see Nicole Havert.
Email Dr. Campbell if you have questions.
END OF QUARTER GRADING
- Dr. Day will check teacher gradebooks for the following: no averages over 100%, no missing assignments for students (must either have a grade or be exempt), grades are finalized, and grading set up (points).
- Students with excused absences that are granted extension by teachers can still complete the work over the break. Once the work is completed and graded in PowerSchool, please email Dr. Day so the stored grades can be updated. The updating of grades for Q1 can be done when Q2 begins.
- Students may come take quizzes and test at school during the break. Please put assessments with instructions, student name, teacher's name, allowable materials, in Diedre Carter's box. Please communicate with students and parents that they can come during the break to complete the assessments, but they must call the office to set up a time before coming.
- Grades 6-12: teachers must complete an academic report for students who have an F for Q1 (0-59%). Turn in completed academic reports to Diedre Carter no later than Monday 9/26/22.
Faculty & Staff Flu Vaccine Option
If you would like Nurse Bev to administer your annual influenza vaccination, you may sign up on the link below. The flu vaccine clinic is Friday, September 23rd from 9 am - 1 pm. You will bring a copy of your insurance card and will complete the required paperwork at the time of your appointment. She will be doing this while running the clinic so your patience will be appreciated.
Please reach out to Nurse Bev if you have questions.
Fall Break: September 26-October 14
Mathematics Revised Standards Crosswalk Document
As districts are beginning to internalize the edits made to the revised mathematics standards in preparation for the implementation of new math materials, we are excited to release this standards crosswalk document. It highlights not only the revisions to existing standards, but also indicates which standards are new. It contains standards for grades K-8 as well as the EOC-tested high school courses. As a reminder, these standards will be implemented in Tennessee classrooms during the 2023-24 academic year.
Professional Development Opportunities
Community Involvement & Opportunities
Recognizing Inspirational School Employees (RISE) Award: 2022-23 Nominations
Nominations for the 2022-23 Tennessee Recognizing Inspirational School Employees (RISE) Award are now open! The award, passed by Congress in 2019 and overseen by the U.S. Department of Education, honors classified school employees who provide exemplary service.
For the purposes of the award, a classified school employee is defined as an employee of a state or any political subdivision of a state, or an employee of a nonprofit entity, who works in any grade from pre-kindergarten through high school in any of the following occupational specialties: paraprofessional, clerical and administrative services, transportation services, food and nutrition services, custodial and maintenance services, security services, health and student services, technical services, and skilled trades.
Anyone—directors, principals, teachers, parents, students, or members of the general public—may submit nominations by September 18, 2022.
The top two finalists in Tennessee will be nominated to the U.S. Department of Education in November and recognized at the annual Principal and Supervisor of the Year celebration in the fall. The U.S. Secretary of Education will then select a single classified school employee from among the state-level nominees to receive the national RISE Award by spring 2022.
For more information on the Tennessee RISE Award, please visit the RISE Award website.
University School Weekly Parent Update Link
Calendar of Events
19 - Entrepreneur's Club Rm 217
19 - HS Golf District Tournament
20 - MS Girls Soccer vs Indian Trail @ ETSU CPA - 5:00pm
20 - VG Soccer: Lady Bucs @ West Greene - 6:30pm
22 - MS Girls Soccer vs Unicoi - @ ETSU CPA - 5:00pm *8TH Grade Night*
22 - VG Soccer: Lady Bucs v. Unicoi - 7:00pm *Senior Night*
24 - Cross Country Bristol Cross
24 - Fall Break Begins
26 - HS Golf Region Tournament
27 - VG Soccer: Lady Bucs v. Chuckey-Doak - 6:30pm
29 - Cross Country Randy Smith Classic
4 - VG Soccer: Lady Bucs v. West Ridge - 6:30pm
6 - VG Soccer: Lady Bucs @ Elizabethton - 6:30pm
8 - Cross Country Trailblazer 50th Invitational
14 - Last day of Fall Break
15 - Key Club Dollywood Trip
17 - Classes Resume
18 - ACT Senior Retake
21 - Fall Flu Shot Clinic
25 - PSAT (Optional - must be registered)
25 - Cross Country Region A-AA and AAA Championship
27 - University School Fall Festival
28 - No School for Students
31 - Entrepreneur's Club Rm 214
4- Cross Country TSSAA State Championship
4- Wizard of Oz - 7pm @ Bud Frank Theater
5 - Wizard OZ - *2pm Matinee & 7pm @ Bud Frank Theater
19 - HS Fall Formal
23-25 - No School Thanksgiving Holiday Break
28 - Entrepreneur's Club Rm 214
2 - Annual Health Screenings for Grades: K,2,4,6,8,9
7 - Mandatory TN Promise Meeting for Applicants @ 10:00am
13 - Winter Choral Concert - 7pm @ Bud Frank Theater
16 - Homecoming @ Brooks Gym
17 - Winter Break Begins