SCCS Home Bulletin
August 31, 2022
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Each Wednesday , SCCS dismisses at 2:05 for teacher professional development.
- Students may ride a different bus for daycare purpose only. Parents must write a note, email or call the office to get a bus pass for your child. If you need to contact the transportation director for any reason, call 722-2481.
BLOOMZ INFO: ALL SCHOOL COMMUNICATION ON BLOOMZ STARTING SEPTEMBER 1
- We will continue to use Bloomz as our school communication tool. Bloomz is our main method of communication throughout the school year, so we ask that all parents view the training below and become comfortable with the tool. Bloomz has made many enhancements this summer. Parents can find a training for Bloomz at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/bloomz.cfm.
- Parents should have received an invitation to join your child's class; please accept the invitation. If you are having difficulty joining that class, please contact the homeroom teacher or the office.
- NOTE: All communication will be via Bloomz starting September 1.
Our first Storyline chapel is next Wednesday, Sept. 7 at 1:35pm in the gym. Students are expected to wear their Storyline shirts!
Parents and guests are WELCOME to attend! You may also join our livestream (and recording) at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/students/chapel.cfm
For the next two years, we will be delving into our eleven Elements of a Growing Disciple (also called “throughlines”).
Every week we have a Storyline event:
Week 1 – Storyline Chapel (all grades)
Week 2 - Connection Groups (two grades connect with an activity)
Week 3 – Praise & Worship for TK-4; Classroom Storyline 5-8
Week 4 – Praise & Worship for 5-8; Classroom Storyline TK-4
September element: God Worshiper.
Truth we will focus on: I can worship God in all parts of my life.
Scripture: Deuteronomy 6:4-9: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children…”
Song: O Worship the King
Our overall theme song is “Christ Our Hope in Life and Death” and our chapel closing song is “Jesus Strong and Kind”
Storyline Chapel Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaU4iNoUawUq8yQH7NLx7eQFcBk06m529
Check out the video from last week's welcoming chapel. https://www.facebook.com/siouxcenterchristian/videos/473202501327743
BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY
Lorna Moss daily demonstrated an active lifestyle and inspired generations of NW Iowans to live healthily and to serve deeply. Lorna was tragically killed while riding her bike in September of 2021. The community of Sioux Center wishes to preserve her legacy by encouraging an active lifestyle and advocating for safe mobility practices for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians. Students and staff at all Sioux Center schools are encouraged to walk or ride their bike to school on the first Friday in September.
SCCS ONLINE APPAREL STORE NOW OPEN!
It’s time to order some new SCCS Trailblazers apparel! We have a couple of exciting new designs on t-shirts, hoodies, crewnecks, and more! Plus, there is a nice selection of adult jackets this year!
Head to https://stores.mdesignpromos.com/sioux_center_christian_apparel/shop/home to see our exciting line-up of apparel.
We only offer apparel one time each school year, so be sure to let grandparents know and think ahead for Christmas gift ideas!
There will be samples of the jackets and some professional wear in the school entry by the TRIP office later this week (note: we will not have t-shirt and sweatshirt samples)
Place your order by Monday, September 12!
Students are invited to “Find the BEST story!” in our school library this year. The SCCS Library will begin checking out books to students on August 31. TK-4th Grade students visit the library weekly to check out one book. Students in 5th-8th grades will visit the library with their reading teachers and can check out one or two books for two weeks. We hope our students can access books that will grow their love of reading!
Are you interested in volunteering? Sign up on the linked volunteer form. Thank you!
FROM NURSE JENNY
THE DAILY GRIND
LEARNING ABOUT UKRAINE
Last Friday, 5th-8th graders had an opportunity to hear from Maranda Heytsi, a Sioux Center native and SCCS alum who is working in the mission field in Ukraine. Maranda showed students a video about what life is like there, and gave them an opportunity to ask questions.
They ended the time with a prayer, specifically for rain for Ukraine.
Thank you to Miranda and her husband for sharing God's Story in the Ukraine! As several families from the Ukraine move to NW Iowa, we have the opportunity to enfold them in our community, our churches, and our Christian schools. Please pray for them!
4CARE: There are still openings in our morning section of 4Care . The 4Care classroom is now in the main school building with lots of room, newly remodeled bathrooms, new toys and furniture! Check out https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm to learn more.
KINDERCARE: Kindercare is an extended play-based childcare opportunity which features hands-on, child-led, play-based learning led by Mrs. Vander Werf. Kindercare is offered each Friday that school is in session from 8:00am-3:05pm and is available for TK & K students. Please call the office (712-722-0777) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your child to attend.
AFTERCARE: There are also spots available in our Aftercare program. It is available for TK-5th grade from the end of the school day to 5:30 at an hourly rate. To learn more about Aftercare click here. Forms for registering your child(ren) are below and can be returned to the office.
SACK PACK PROGRAM
All students have the opportunity to take advantage of the Sack Pack Program. This program provides free food items in a “sack” each Friday to assist families who are struggling to make ends meet. Nurse Jenny discretely distributes the sacks each week. If your student(s) participated in this program last year, they will automatically be re-enrolled this year. If you no longer wish to participate, contact Nurse Jenny. If you would like to join the program, just email Nurse Jenny at email@example.com.
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact the school 24 hours in advance of when you would like to eat. Thank you!
WE ARE HIRING
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for: Northwestern Raiders Cheer Camp, Try Hockey for Free, Unity Cheer Kids Camp Registration, Sioux Center Youth Theater
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.