in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 5, ISSUE 2, SEPTEMBER 2017 NEWSLETTER
NEW Accounting Assistant at the FNS District Office!
October 9-13, 2017
Visit https://schoolnutrition.org/Meetings/Events/NSLW/2017/ for decoration & promotion ideas!
Schools will be judged and winners will be announced at the district wide In Service in January!
September Safety Tip
Whether eaten as a dip, a spread or a sauce, pesto is a culinary essential in many Italian recipes. This version features spinach and almonds (more economical than the traditional basil and pine nuts), yet as flavorful and nourishing as ever. Deliciously simple to prepare, spread spinach-almond pesto over crusty bread for an easy appetizer, toss with your favorite pasta for a light meal, or spoon it over grilled or broiled seafood or chicken breast for a heartier meal.
8 ounces baby spinach leaves
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted*
1 shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor or blender jar, combine the spinach, almonds, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon peel and red pepper flakes. Pulse lightly to blend. Gradually add the oil, blending until well-chopped and blended, but not puréed.
- Transfer the spinach-almond mixture to a medium bowl.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Cooking Tip*Toast the almonds in a small, heavy dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the skillet frequently for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown to release the flavorful oils.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Calories: 100; Calories from fat: 90; Total fat: 9g; Saturated fat: 1.5; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 60mg; Total carbohydrate: 4g; Dietary fiber: 2g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 4g
- SEPTEMBER 4: Labor Day, Student/Teacher Holiday, Non-Working Day, ALL PERSONNEL
- SEPTEMBER 8: Senior High School Spirit Day
- SEPTEMBER 13: Elementary Early Dismissal Day
- OCTOBER 9: Planning Day - Working Day for all 10, 11, & 12 month personnel
- OCTOBER 9th-13th: National School Lunch Week
- OCTOBER 31: Elementary Early Dismissal Day