Learn to graph parabolas using the vertex form!
The unit in summary
Solving quadratic equations with word problems
1. What is the maximum height of the ball?
Ans. Find the vertex, the y-value is the maximum height y=k
2. At what time did the ball reach the maximum height?
Ans. Find the vertex, the x-value is the time when the max height occurred x=h
3. What was the initial height of the ball?
Ans. Set x=0 and solve for y or Find the y-intercept
4. How long was the ball in the air?
Ans. Set y=0 and solve for x or Find the x-intercept
5. When did the ball hit the ground?
Ans. Same as previous question
7. What is the height of the ball at 3 seconds?
Ans. Sub the x-value into the equation to solve for y.sub t into the equation to solve for h.
(t=x, h=y, basically x and t represent the same thing, which is time and h reps the same thing as y, which is height.)
Information provided by Ms.Dhaliwal