A Weekly Newsletter From Grant School & the Grant PTA
Week of December 1, 2020
Dearest Grant Community,
Thanks to the generous grant given to us by Petaluma Education Foundation, we are excited to bring social-emotional learning (SEL) to Grant School this year through the Changing Perspectives curriculum. Changing Perspectives is an educational nonprofit organization with a mission of promoting social-emotional learning to cultivate inclusive and equitable communities for all students.
SEL is an essential component of every child’s education and development. Intentional SEL instruction motivates students and positions them to engage meaningfully in educational, professional, personal, and civic opportunities in diverse communities and workplaces. When schools prioritize SEL, they see better cohort test scores, greater personal academic achievement, higher graduation rates, more satisfaction among educators, less bullying and isolation, and a stronger sense of community.
Over the next several weeks, students will be engaging in a variety of lessons and activities to develop, refine, and gain new skills under the SEL umbrella. SEL is organized into five core competencies:
We know that the most growth happens for our students when there is a strong connection between what is being taught in class and what is being reinforced at home. In order to begin this dialogue, we are hosting a parent education night on December 10th to discuss your questions and possible challenges around the topic of your students' social-emotional learning and development. This is an optional zoom event.
Social-Emotional Parent Education Night: December 10th
Meeting ID: 879 0206 0288
BEST Ticket Students: 4th-6th Graders
BEST Ticket prizes available for pick up in the office!
- Makayla Goosief for her strong effort and participation in zoom
- Sydney Elie for her responsibility & cooperation!
- Isabella Fontana for her care about the quality of her work. She takes care to do it neatly and checks in to be sure she is on the right track. Her teacher appreciates her attention to detail!
- Hudson Stevens for his thoughtful responses and follow through on assignments!
Vega Propst for her participation, effort, and positive attitude, and bright smile.
- Cash Page for his awesome effort and enthusiasm in class! He is producing high-quality work and doing a great job.
- Nick Soloski for his responsibility and for being such a hard worker and putting in so much effort into turning in completed and well-done assignments!
- Mckenna Pacheco for her fantastic strong effort in class and metacognition. Great work with critical thinking skills!
- Mateo Weber for his great effort in class and his problem-solving skills!
- Corbin Tam for always being on task during class. He works hard and does a thorough job on his assignments. His work is always done with care!
Support the Grant PTA for #GivingTuesday!
It’s #GivingTuesday and what better way to give back than to give to @GrantElementaryPTA? In these uncertain times, our staff and PTA are going above and beyond to support the Grant Community. The PTA purchases all the supplies for students supports the ongoing technology improvements on campus holds community events (such as our upcoming Winter Wonderland event), and more! Due to the pandemic, we don’t anticipate being able to hold our biggest fundraisers—the Auction and Jog-a-Thon. It’s donations like yours that will allow us to continue to support the students at Grant. Please consider donating. We need your support!
Not a member yet? Join here today!
Holiday Support Available
We Need Holiday Decor & Volunteers
The Grant PTA is very excited to bring you a fun, safe and festive event for the holidays! The school hallways will be transformed into a festive winter wonderland that all families can enjoy. The event will take place on December 11th and will require each family to sign up for a time slot to attend (look for the sign-up to be sent out soon!)
We can't do this without help from our Grant families! If you have any outdoor christmas decor you are willing to loan us for one day please contact Rosie or Kelly. We would greatly appreciate it! Think lights, holiday inflatables etc.
Rosalie Thompson - email@example.com
Kelly Garzelli - Kellygarzelli@gmail.com
We will also need help on the day of for set up and clean up. Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080848A9AD23A2FB6-winter
Copperfield's Book Fair, 11/30-12/6
Mark your calendars and make a shopping list for the holidays! We will be hosting an online book fair with Copperfield's the week of November 30th through December 6th. It's a great time to buy your holiday gifts and benefit Grant too!
See's Candy Order By 12/4
Need candy for the upcoming Thanksgiving and/or Christmas holidays? Click on the link below and place your order. It will be shipped directly to your house. FREE shipping for orders over $70; that's pretty easy to do! Our school will earn money! Thanks for your support.
Original Artwork, Orders Due This Friday, 12/4
All orders are due by 12/4. Any questions? Contact Maryann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Holiday Talent Show
Videos must be one minute or less. The virtual format allows us to showcase things that we normally couldn't show on stage - like sports, animal tricks and skills best highlighted outdoors.
Be creative! Videos must be one minute or less. Let's see what you've got Shamrocks!
Email videos to email@example.com by 12/19/20. Siblings and family members may be in the video too!
Other Opportunities to Help Grant
*Earn money for Grant when you shop at Amazon.com
You can earn money for Grant every time you buy merchandise through Amazon.com - at no extra cost to you! Shop with smile.amazon.com and the charity of your choice will receive a portion of your purchase. Just add Grant as your chosen non-profit. You can also use the Amazon mobile app and select Grant.
*BoxTops Collection Has Gone Digital
Support Mentorship in Our Community
Be A Mentor: Are you invested in supporting young people to achieve their highest potential? If so, Mentor Me would love to match you with one of our 80+ waitlisted young people! Mentoring, at its core, guarantees young people that there is someone who cares about them. As a volunteer mentor, you walk alongside a young person to let them know they matter! Please see our flyer for more information.
Donate: Can't commit to mentoring, but still want to uplift mentorship in our community? Please consider donating to Mentor Me online: https://secure.givelively.org/donate/petaluma-people-services-center/ppsc-mentor-me or send a check to Petaluma People Services Center, Mentor Me (mail to 1500 South Petaluma Blvd., Petaluma, CA 94952).
Food Resources in Petaluma
- Una Vida (right here in Petaluma) does weekly food deliveries, a weekly food pantry and monthly "free sale" for clothing and shoes. Check their website for info: https://www.una-vida.org/petaluma-programs
- Petaluma City Schools offers food to any child until 18 at any of our elementary school site on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:15-1 pm.
- The Family Resource Center at McDowell Elementary hosts weekly food bank distribution. Call for details: 707-778-4697
- Elim Lutheran Church hosts a Thursday Evening Interfaith Pantry at 5:30 pm at the Fellowship Hall at 504 Baker Street. For more information, please call 762-4081.
Petaluma Library Virtual Events!
Dear Educators and Community Partners,
We hope this message finds you well and you are all staying safe. We miss seeing you at the library SO much!! Below are some links that may be helpful. Please check it out when you get a chance.
We are not publishing a monthly calendar at this time, but we are offering a variety of virtual events.
Please call us if you have any questions, 707-763-9801.