Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of October 19, 2015
The 1st Quarter Reading Challenge is wrapping up!
The 1st Quarter Reading Challenge ends this Thursday, October 22nd. Reading logs MUST be turned in to Ms. Knight no later than Wednesday, October 28th. We’ll have prizes for those who read the most in each grade level, and every participant will receive recognition!
How do you record reading?
Students have received reading logs, but you can print out extras here. List books (with page numbers) as you complete them. An adult must sign by each book read. Add the total number of pages read during the 1st quarter.
Save the Dates!
- October 31 - Halloween ComicFest @ all local comic book shops
- October 31 - Star Wars Villains Party @ Fiction Addiction, 12-2pm
- November 2 - Makerspace Monday
- November 13-20 - Fall Book Fair
- November 23 - Makerspace Monday
- December 1 - first Battle of the Books practice (4th and 5th grade only), 2:30-3:00
Book of the Week: Churchill's Tale of Tails
Churchill’s Tale of Tales by Anca Sandu is a nominee for the 2015-2016 South Carolina Picture Book Award.
Churchill is a very proud pig. He enjoys many things, but the most important thing in his life is his tail. One day, though, Churchill loses his precious tail, and he looks to his friends for help in finding a new one.
As Churchill tries on tail after tail, he soon loses touch with his friends. Has finding a new tail really become more important to him than friendship?
Will Churchill ever find his own tail? More importantly, will he find his way back to the friends who helped him on his way? Find out when you read Churchill’s Tale of Tails!
With charming illustrations, a simple, entertaining narrative, and an important (but not too preachy) lesson, this book is sure to be a hit. Many young (and older) readers may just learn a little something from Churchill, and this delightful book could lead them to value their friendships a bit more than the material and fleeting things in the world.
Read Your Way to the Big Game!
To enter this contest, make sure your child reads six reading-level appropriate books, complete the book list that was sent home, and return the book list and contest entry card to your child's teacher no later than Monday, November 9th,
All students who meet the six-book challenge qualify for the grand prize--a trip to the Palmetto Bowl (otherwise known as the Carolina/Clemson game)!
So, pick a team and start reading now!
If you need copies of the reading log, student entry card, or bookmark, please click here.
Are you reading the SC Book Award nominees?
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading, and check out the videos below for a quick glimpse at this year's nominees!
Dates to Remember:
- October 19 - Fall fundraiser ends; Makerspace Monday
- October 19-30 - Student Ambassadors Food Drive
- October 22 - Last day of 1st quarter
- October 23 - Make-up pictures
- October 26-30 - Red Ribbon Week
- October 28 - 1st quarter reading logs due; Bellacino's Night
- October 29 - Report cards
- October 30 - Science Day; Spirit Day