Bridging Home and School Literacy
with Dr. Victoria Purcell-Gates
Literacy for Life
- Research that involved immigrant preschool students and parents to find a way to build real life literacy into the curriculum
- Finds a way to close the gap by:
1. Identifying a Text
2. Providing a Purpose
How can we make it work?
- Know the past experiences of the students so there is an appropriate starting point.
- Personal Notes
What are the roles?
- Should be open to communication
- Provide teachers with examples of text that is read as a family
- Ask questions
- Strong communication
- Open to new ideas