Trail Blazer News
Reporter : Betsy and Camron
Field Trip to the WNC Nature Center
Shadow Puppetry Rehearsal
Express Yourself Day
Fairy Tale Friday
End of the Year Fun!
Classroom Awards and Picnic
We would love for you to join us for classroom awards (selected by their peers) on Tuesday, June 7th at 10:00 a.m. in our classroom. We will have a family picnic outside (weather permitting) following the awards time to continue our celebration at 11:15ish. We would appreciate your support if you are willing to help. Students will either purchase lunch at school or bring a lunch from home, but we can supplement their lunch with some exciting picnic options. Please join us by packing a lunch for yourself. Click HERE to go to the sign-up page.
- Tuesday, May 31st, Second Grade Shadow Puppet Performance in the gym at 1:30.
- Tuesday, June 7th Classroom awards ceremony and picnic
- Wednesday, June 8th, Last Day of School (Early Release)
Thank you, Katie, for being our mystery reader this week!
What We are Learning
Reading: We learning about how reasons support specific points an author is trying to make as we read nonfiction books about animal life cycles.
RI.2.8 - Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a grade-appropriate text.
Writing: We currently writing poetry, but we will transition into nonfiction writing about life cycles next week.
Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will continue Unit 15 on Monday. We are focusing on double vowel syllable
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We are focusing on measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.2 Measure the length of an object twice, using length units of different lengths for the two measurements; describe how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.3 Estimate lengths using units of inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.4 Measure to determine how much longer one object is than another, expressing the length difference in terms of a standard length unit.
Science: We are focusing on the life cycles of plants and animals.
2.L.1 Understand animal life cycles.
2.L.2 Remember that organisms differ from or are similar to their parents based on the characteristics of the organism
Social Studies: We are starting a unit on economic concepts culminating in a student-led classroom "town" with various good and services for sale.
- 2.E.1 Understand basic economic concepts.