Your Credit Rating
Why Its Important to Be in Good Standing
Why is it important to have a good credit rating?
- Make banks more likely to issue you loans
- Have to pay less interest than someone with bad credit
- Hold up under the scrutiny of an employer running a background check
With poor credit you will have none of these perks, you will be seen as a risky choice by banks, insurance agencies, and employers.
Five Ways to Keep a Good Credit History
- Pay your bills online without missing deadlines
- Try to avoid maxing out credit cards, even if you can afford to pay them off
- Apply for a credit card or department store card early to build credit early on
- Only apply for credit you need, it will negatively impact your score if you have 10 credit cards
- Check your credit history frequently to avoid any mistakes which could impact your score
What To Do if There is a Mistake in Your Credit Report
- Notify your credit provider in writing that you have noticed a discrepancy
- Include documents of said mistake in a written letter
Then it is your job to
- Notify the credit provider you would like said information removed from your report
- Request updated reports to be sent to anyone who reviewed your credit in the past six months
The information providing company will report their findings to all three credit reporters. The disputed information should then be removed if the information provider finds it inconsistent.