WDMS DECEMBER NEWS
Virtual Schedule Survey Results
On Monday, November 30th, WDMS returned to an 8-period Virtual Schedule. With our original intention to revert back to our Quarter 1 Virtual Bell schedule due to the success we encountered, we received requests from parents to consider other options. A survey was sent to students, staff, and parents asking them to choose the schedule most beneficial for their family. Below are the survey results:
Of the 68 staff responses, 82.4% (56 staff members) preferred the Revised Virtual Instruction Schedule while 17.6% (12 staff members) preferred the Original Virtual Instruction Schedule.
Of the 483 parent/guardian responses, 72.9% (352 parent/guardians) preferred the Revised Virtual Instruction Schedule while 27.1% (131 parent/guardians) preferred the Original Virtual Instruction Schedule.
Of the 156 student responses, 82.7% (129 students) preferred the Revised Virtual Instruction Schedule while 17.3% (27 students) preferred the Original Virtual Instruction Schedule.
As a result of the survey responses, WDMS changed their Virtual Bell Schedule to meet the needs of our community without compromising instructional time.
December 23rd is an Early Dismissal Day!
Attendance to Virtual Instruction
- Attendance must be taken on a daily basis. Students will receive an email (sent to their student email) each morning requiring them to respond by 8:30 am to indicate their virtual instruction attendance for the day. Failure to respond to the email will result in the student being marked absent for the day.
- Students are required to log in to their classes via video conference each period, following the bell schedule.
- If a student will be absent for the day, or from one or more periods of virtual instruction, parents are still required to call the middle school to “call the student out” of school. To report a student absent, please dial 856-848-1200, and press 2.
- Please email any attendance questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
VIRTUAL LEARNING REMINDERS
- Q2 Virtual Schedule-Virtual instruction will consist of a combination of synchronous instruction via video conference (Zoom, Google Meets, GoGuardian) as well as asynchronous instruction using Google Classroom as our main platform. Students are required to login to the appropriate Google Classroom by following the virtual bell schedule found HERE.
- Asynchronous Days- Although daily instruction will continue to be synchronous Monday through Friday, there will be occasions in which asynchronous days will be announced. Please note, asynchronous days will not be weekly.
- Contact Tracing- In the event your child should become symptomatic or found positive for COVID while attending virtual instruction, please contact Mr. Jeff Podolski at email@example.com for contact tracing.
- WDMS Helpline-If you should have any questions and are not sure who to reach out to, you may text the WDMS Student & Parent Helpline at 856-539-4632.
- WDMS Main Office Hours- The main office will be open on Monday -Thursday 8 am -12 pm until further notice. Please call 856-848-1200, should you have any questions.
Virtual Holiday Showcase
The WDMS Music Department wants to brighten up the days of our community in the best way we know how - with music! While we won’t be able to have our annual Winter Concert, we’d like everyone to know that there is still music being made in West Deptford!
Here’s the plan: If you’d like to, make a recording of yourself performing a Holiday song at home, just 1 song, just one entry. You can sing, play your instrument, or if you’re a dancer, dance to a HOLIDAY song. Songs can be about Wintertime, Hanukkah, Kwanza, or Christmas. They can be 1 minute or can be up to about 5 minutes. Once we collect all the submissions, we’ll put together a playlist and send out the WDMS Virtual Holiday Show to the community via email, social media, and any other avenue we can find.
Who should participate? Current WDMS students! You may include siblings and/or parents in your video.
What type of performances are we looking for? ANYTHING! Examples could include:
• Sing or play a song/piece with or without a backing track
• A duet or group performance with a family member or someone in your household
• A virtual recording you have made with friends
• Performances should be from home during this time - NOT PAST PUBLIC performances - these videos are meant to lift everyone’s spirits by showing them how we are continuing to make music at home during this tough time AND the approaching Holiday season.
• Understand that by submitting a video, you are agreeing to have it distributed to the community via social media. Any files that are uploaded will be shared outside of the organization they belong to. By submitting, you are agreeing for us to share via social media outlets.
Once your selection is confirmed, you will get another Google Form where you can upload the video!
Submissions are due by Monday, December 7th (this date is NOT flexible)
How can I support my child's Virtual Learning engagement?
How can I encourage my child to share safely online?
Winter Athletic Seasons Experience Delayed Start
Based on the recommendations of the NJSIAA, the official start dates for WDMS winter sports are:
- Physical due to Health Office Jan 5, 2021
- Practice begins Jan. 11,2021
- Competition begins Jan. 26, 2021
- Competition ends March 6, 2021
- Physicals due to Health Office Feb 23, 2021
- Practice begins March 1, 2021
- Competition begins March 16, 2021
- Competition ends April 24, 2021
*COMPLETED ATHLETIC PHYSICALS CAN BE PLACED IN THE LOCKBOX ATTACHED TO THE FRONT OF OUR BUILDING
WDMS Is Helping to Ease the Stress of Virtual Instruction
Also, WDMS School Counselors have compiled updated well-being and mental health resources to improve families’ access to these types of supports. Within our Outpatient Counseling/Therapy guide, parents can also view which local mental health agencies are providing in-person and telehealth appointments and what insurances they accept. You can find these resources on our school website by clicking “Well-Being & Mental Health Supports - Click Here!”.