The Lone Star State
The nickname for Texas is "The Lone Star State."
The capital of Texas is Austin.
Texas has several large cities. Among the largest are Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.
Resources and Products
- Texas has more beef cattle than any other state
- Cotton is the most valuable crop in Texas
- Texas is rich in oil and natural gas
- Factories in Texas make many products including chemicals, computer parts, and food products.
- The Texas flag can be flown at the same height as the United States Flag because Texas was once its own nation, The Republic of Texas, when it was annexed in 1845.
- The King Ranch is the largest ranch in the state; it is larger than the state of Rhode Island!
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas in 1885. There is no period in the abbreviation for doctor.
- Texas has had flags from six different nations fly over it, including Spain, France, Mexico, and its own, The Republic of Texas.
- Flower: Bluebonnet
- Bird: Mockingbird
- Mammal: Armadillo
- Tree: Pecan
- Song: Texas, Our Texas