Tanya Da Silva, Intro to Law and Justice - 6th
What was it?
The Chicano movement began in the 1960's and was a civil rights movement for Mexican American empowerment.
What did I learn?
- Los Angeles was the most influential city during the Chicano movement due to
the large amountof Mexican Americans living there.
- The term "Chicano" is used to describe a Mexican-American.
- John F Kennedy showed gratitude towards the Chicano movement and helped the Hispanic community.
- The Chicano movements began due to a series of issues for Mexican Americans. Some examples were: more rights for farm workers, better education, voting and political rights.
- Mexican Americans began their Chicano movement through the creation of literary and visual art that showed Mexican American culture.
- The Chicano movements influential between college students as they created student groups and protested throughout the 1960's.