Finn Hill Falcon Flyer
Week of May 2, 2022
- We had an awesome incentive day on Friday. Our students had a great time celebrating meeting their house ticket goals. Thanks to Ms. Garrels and Mr. Strong for organizing the choices, and to our staff for offering so many different options for kids.
- The ASB dance was a wonderful event on Friday night! Students had a blast! Thank you to Ms. Stephens for selling tickets and organizing the guest list; thank you to Ms. Duncan and her leadership students for planning, hosting, and cleaning up; thank you to Ms. Lynch and her TSA students for running the concession stand. Thank you to all of the staff and parents who volunteered to chaperone. As one eighth grader said to me on his way out, "You need to have another one of these next year. I won't even be here, but you need to do it!" That's high praise from a teenager!
- Green Team wants to thank everyone who bought soap this week. Your contribution is supporting both a local small business and the learning of our FHMS student community. We have a wide variety of students showing an interest in gardening and just wanting to help in general.
Staff Appreciation Week!
Tuesday, May 3
- 6th Grade FastBridge ELA Testing
Wednesday, May 4
- 8th Grade FastBridge ELA Testing
Thursday, May 5
- 7th Grade FastBridge ELA Testing
Monday, May 9
- SBA Testing Begins, ELA & Math, Grades 6-8
Tuesday, May 10
- FHMS PTSA General Membership Meeting, 7:00 PM-9:00 PM, Teams
Thursday, May 12
- FHMS Community Equity Team Meeting, 6:00 PM-7:00 PM, library
Save the Date!
- May 16, WCAS Testing, 8th Grade
- Week of 5/16, Make Up Testing
- June 2-Future Falcon Visit (fifth graders visit FHMS), 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
- June 10, Eighth Grade Family Fun Center Field Trip
- June 14-Eighth Grade Promotion Ceremony, 6:30 PM-8:00 PM, Gym
- June 15-Eighth Grade Clap Out, 2:45 PM-3:05 PM
- June 16-Field Day, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM
- June 17-Last Day of School (Half Day)
We are heading into a busy time of year, with lots of exciting celebrations. We are very proud of the work your students have done this year in so many of their classes. As a school, however, we are struggling with students being late to class. Being late can have significant impacts on educational outcomes for students, with students who are often tardy having lower graduation rates and poorer academic results.
Starting Monday, we will have a new tardy policy. For every tardy your student receives between Monday and field day on June 16th, they will lose 2 minutes of their field day, and will instead have silent study hall. For example, if your student has 20 tardies between Monday, May 2nd and field day, they will serve a 40-minute silent study hall instead of going out with friends. We understand there are always exceptions, and will continue to communicate with students on an individual basis when needed.
In addition, for every 5 tardies in a week, they will be placed into a College Prep the following Tuesday, where they will have the opportunity to reflect on their lateness, and make a plan to be on-time the following week.
Please talk with your students about the importance of being on-time to class. On-time means being in the room, in their seats, and ready to learn. Thank you for your continued partnership.
Diverse Books for the Library 2022
Last year’s diversity gift registry was a great success and we’re so grateful to all the people who purchased books from our wish list! ! In the past year, we’ve made great strides in making our library book collection more reflect our student population. But we could always use more. If you’d like to buy a book (or books!) for the Finn Hill library, go to our gift registry at: https://www.amazon.com/registries/custom/2FVS1GUX6EIZJ/guest-view. Books can be purchased and sent directly to Finn Hill. If you have any questions, please contact Peter Strong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finn Hill Middle School
Each student will graduate prepared to lead a rewarding, responsible life as a contributing member of our community and greater society.
Every student future ready: Prepared for college, Prepared for the global workplace, Prepared for personal success