GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
Please gather your GCS Reads 20 minutes from Dec. 1 to Dec. 31 and enter the totals at the link. (This total should include any holiday reading minutes as well.)
Dates to Remember
- Jan. 11 December GCS Reads 20 Minutes Due
- Jan. 14. NCTies Scholarship applications DUE
- Jan. 15 Holiday Reading Challenge Forms Due to School Media Specialist
- Jan. 18 Martin Luther King Holiday
- Jan. 20 Holiday Reading Challenge Names Due to Media Services
- Jan. 21 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 22 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 26 Holiday Reading Challenge Winners will be announced this week
- Jan. 27 Celebrate Multicultural Children's Book Day
Holiday Reading Challenge
- To be eligible for incentives all reading logs should be turned into Media Specialists by January 15, 2016.
- Media Specialists should then turn in the names of eligible students to Tammy Gruer by January 22, 2016. An email with specific instructions will follow this week.
- Winners will be announced the week of January 25, 2016.
Deadlines extended for global education summer abroad programs. New deadline is January 15, 2016. Please apply or share with faculty at your school. Click on the links below for additional information.
UPCOMING BOB DEADLINES
The facility payment for elementary, middle, and high schools Battle of the Books will be $100.
It is due ON or BEFORE December 11th, 2015.
Please make check payable to Guilford County Board of Education. School checks and PTA checks are acceptable.
Send all payments to Robin Gonsiewski, Accounting, Eugene Street.
THIS FEE IS NONREFUNDABLE. A commitment to play is a commitment to pay. If you have any questions, please call Jackie at 370-2357
HS BOB Questions
Before you know it December 18th will be here! Thanks for your commitment to read and write questions for the High School BOB Competition. You may submit your completed questions anytime before December 18th. We still have a need for volunteers to read four books. Please refer to your email for the list of books assigned. Again, thanks for all you are doing to support our high school competition.
Registration for our 2016 NCTIES Conference is now open!
- On the Recognitions page you will find links to several Awards that deserving NC Educators may be nominated for. DEADLINES for these Awards is this Thursday, January 7, 2016.
- In addition NCTIES selects three $3000 Grants to a deserving idea or project. DEADLINE for these Awards is also this Thursday, January 7, 2016.
- Last, NCTIES proudly offers two $2000 Scholarship opportunities. One will be awarded to a student pursuing a graduate degree/certification in Instructional Technology; the other to a student pursuing a graduate degree/certification in School Library Media. The DEADLINE for these Scholarships is NEXT Thursday, January 14, 2016.
Librarian to Librarian Conference
Several performance indicators on the school library media coordinator rubric relate to leading professional development. ECU's Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit may give SLMCs an opportunity to implement these indicators. The planning committee is currently accepting session proposals.
Do you want to suggest a title for NEXT Year's HS BOB List?
- · Read 4 books using the “BINGO” chart
- · Create some sort of online “presentation” of each book using Web 2.0 tools. (The idea is to learn the programs as well as share them.)
- · Attend the sharing sessions
- · Submit your links via Canvas
- January 25 – Scuppernong, Greensboro
- February 23 – Amoroso’s, High Point
Karen has added most of you who attended the last meeting to the Canvas class. When you login into your NCED Cloud account you can click on Canvas. Take some time to explore Canvas and we will discuss it at our next meeting.
If you were not at our first meeting, please let me know if you want to participate and I will add you to the Canvas class.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.