Join our Prison Reform now!
- High rates of prisoner suicides
- Women are put alongside males and mentally ill
- Begin a national movement to establish state asylums for the mentally ill
- Promote states to improve their prisons and hospitals
Stragies for our reform!
- We will gather together on Dec. 12 at 1:00p.m to discuss our plan.
- We will visit state penitentiaries, county jails, almshouses and public hospitals to report any cruelty
Early sucess of Prison reform
- It was not until the late 1800s that American jails began to establish separate facilities for women. The idea of separating the men and women worked in favor of both genders.
- Since 1870 prison classes have been an entrenched part of the prison experience. This gives the prisoners another activity to do other than working all day long.
Dr. John Galt
Dr. John Galt began the first psychiatric hospital in America in 1841, Dr. John Galt Easter Lunatic Asylum, in Williamsburg Virginia. Dr. Galt believed that the mentally ill should be separate from the other prisoners and receive special treatment. He believed that, like everyone else, these people still had dignity that needed to be respected. He had many revolutionary ideas about how to treat the insane. These ideas included the use of drugs, introductions of 'talk therapy', and the and outpatient option instead of lifelong stays. Like Dorothea Dix, he wanted mentally ill patients to have proper treatment that did not infringe on their human rights.
Unlike Dr. Galt and Dorothea Dix, Louis Dwight was more concerned with the treatment of children in jails. He wanted to separate children into juvenile detention centers. He was also concerned with the purpose of prisons and one of the first national figures in prison reform. He was the founder of the Boston Prison Discipline Society. He helped the prisons to establish strict disciplinary systems.
Howe shared similar goals with Dorothea Dix. He wished prison libraries, basic literacy, reduction of whipping and beating, communication of sentences, and separation of women, children and the mentally ill.
Dr. John Galt
You can be a part too!
Help gather money for :
- Better prisons
By helping you can also improve the health of the ones put into these places! Spread the word and gather money
PEOPLE WHO DONATE A LOT OF MONEY: Will be provided with a small piece of land.
PEOPLE WHO DONATE A SMALL AMOUNT: Will be provided with allowing visitations to the prisons or hospitals.
Spread the word!
- With modern technology such as central heating, flush toilets in each cell and showers will be provided.
- Also individual exercise yards and small workplaces where prisoners could learn vocational skills.