Your Weekly Update from Johnson Elementary School
Dear Johnson Families,
Happy Autumn! It was great to see all of you on Wednesday evening at Curriculum Night. During that event, teachers shared information on “Self-Awareness,” the first of five units of study in the Everyday Speech curriculum.
I have shared a link with an overview of the Everyday Speech curriculum below;
Self-Awareness is a measure of how accurately learners can recognize their feelings and thoughts and learn to understand how those influence their behavior. Among the objectives of this first unit are:
students will recognize that emotions are temporary and change.
Students will recognize that emotions can affect their behavior.
Some tips for families at home:
- Help your child understand that feelings dissipate with time by asking, "How do you think you'll feel about this problem tomorrow or next week?”
- Model talking about your own feelings and how they have changed over the course of the day.
Throughout the year, we will continue to share information about implementation of the “Everyday Speech, “curriculum that is being taught in all four grades.
BOKS is back starting on Tuesday, September 20th. BOKS will run every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 7:30-8:10am. The Session starts on September 20th and ends on December 8th. The boks program allows students to participate in breakfast and transition to their classroom. Cost is $60! PLEASE COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION FORM ASAP. ENROLLMENT IS LIMITED.
- September 1 - October 30: Paw print campaign
- September 12 -30: Food drive for the Natick Service Council
- Monday, September 26th - School closed in observance of Rosh Hashanah
- Wednesday, October 5th - School closed in observance of Yom Kippur
- Monday, October 10 - School closed in observance of Columbus Day/Indigenous People's Day
- Saturday, October 15th - Johnson School Fall FUN Fair - 12:00-3:00
- Wednesday, October 26th - Early Release Day - Dismissal 12:15pm
- Wednesday, November 2nd - Early Release PK and Elementary ONLY!
- Friday, November 11th - Schools closed in observance of Veteran's Day
- Wednesday, November 16th - Early Release - CONFERENCES, PRE-K, Elementary, Middle ONLY
- Wednesday, November 23rd - Early Release Day - THANKSGIVING - 12:15 pm Dismissal
- Thursday and Friday Nov. 24 & Nov. 25 - School Closed for Thanksgiving
- Monday, November 28th - ALL SCHOOLS CLOSED - District wide Professional Development!
PTO JOHNSON SCHOOL DIRECTORY
Our PTO is coordinating the PTO Johnson School Directory. Please sign up Here for the 2022-2023 Johnson School Directory! EVEN if you signed up last year, you need to SIGN UP AGAIN to be included in this year's directory – we can’t roll that info over. You need to complete one form for each child at Johnson. Deadline is September 25th. But why wait? If you’re like me, you often can’t remember why you walked into the kitchen… so why not take a minute to fill out the form while you’re thinking of it? It’s easy, quick, and helps our kiddos (and us) stay connected outside of school.
Contact email@example.com with questions.
FIVE Things You Need to Know
1 - Everyday Speech SEL Curriculum: We launched our SEL curriculum, Everyday Speech in all grades levels beginning on the first day of school. The program is broken down into 5 SEL Competencies: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social-Awareness, Responsible Decision Making and Relationship Skills. An introduction to this program was shared with our parents during Curriculum Night. If you were unable to attend Curriculum Night here is the link.
2 - Breakfast and Lunch is free to all students this school year. Even though meals are free to students all year, we ask that you do fill out an application because you may qualify families for additional supports.
3 - REMINDER FOR PARENTS WHO WANT TO VOLUNTEER - Volunteer--CORI Checks
If you want to volunteer in schools, you must have a CORI check conducted and you must go into the building with identification (drivers license or passport) to do this. Click here for description of what a CORI check is and does. Without a CORI check, you cannot volunteer in the school. Here is the form to fill out for a CORI.
4 - REQUIRED YEARLY FORMS
You should have received an email from PowerSchool to complete your required yearly forms. If you did not receive an email please reach out to the main office or check your SPAM folder. We still have several families that have not completed these forms. Please do this ASAP.
5 - FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
We have a range of financial supports available in the Natick Public Schools. This includes assistance with school fees, such as the bus and picture day, scholarships for programs such as the Book Fair and connections to community resources that may be helpful. If you are interested in these programs, please contact Laura Loftus, our school counselors, to have a private conversation. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Title I: Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title II
- Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990Title VI
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964Title IX
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- MGL, Ch.76, Section 5: Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 76, Section 5