The Week Ahead Memo
State Road Elementary School
Monday, December 01, 2014
Let's shoot for three great weeks of school before our next break! Keep the focus on kids, have fun, and smile every day! I am thankful for all of you!
Leo's Coney Island HOST Sign-Up Form
Events This Week!
Leo's Family Fun Night
Monday morning to greet the MYP Evaluation Team at AGS
Monday afternoon for an Elementary Principals & Curriculum Meeting
Grade Fixes for the Year!
As a reminder, our “Grade Fixes” that we agreed to pilot for this school year are:
▫ Fix 1: Don’t include student behaviors in grades; include only achievement
▫ Fix 5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately
▫ Fix 6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence
"Grading" SI Action Team Requests:
- As a staff, we are going to focus on one fix per month
- For the month of November, please read Fix #5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately. Please read pp. 47-51 and provide your feedback to either Gabe or Callie. It is actually very easy reading and we do value your comments as we used them to lead our discussion.
We will compile and share this feedback at our December team meeting and with the rest of the staff.
Observation / Evaluation Process Update
I plan to do more observations each day this week - I’d like to complete all 'first-observations' by Christmas break. The ‘Noticings’ and ‘Wonderings’ sections will only focus on two (2) Dimensions for Observation 1 (Purpose (P) and Classroom Environment & Culture (CEC)).
- Observations - We will again conduct a minimum of 3 observations for the year (district continuity).
- Observations Time - These will be 15-30 min of lesson scripting and another 15 minutes of coding.
- I should be able to access or view your daily lesson plans with assigned standards.
- A difference from last year is that all observations will be unannounced (law compliance and district continuity).
- We will have a Dimension focus during observations (up to two dimensions). The dimension focus areas will be the areas that Noticing’s, Wonderings, and Analysis will be derived.
- Evaluation learning series - We will offer several voluntary learning opportunities for staff to participate in. These opportunities are geared to develop deeper understanding of the framework, rubrics, vocabulary and other processes of 5D+ for those interested. Materials will be made available to all.
Culture of Learning
What's Happening Next Week?
- Our next Staff Meeting is Tuesday, Dec. 9 beginning at 7:35am in the Media Center.
- Santa's Workshop is Wednesday, Dec. 10 from 5-7pm in the Cafetorium
- We have a PYP Leadership Team Meeting next Thursday, Dec. 11 beginning at 7:45am
- Our next Hungry Howie's Fundraiser Night is Thursday, Dec. 11
- Our Holiday Concerts will be Friday, Dec. 12. (Grades 1 & 4 @ 8:50am. Grades 2 & 3 @ 9:40am. Grades K & 5 @ 10:30am)
DOWN THE ROAD...
- Bee Happy Staff Christmas Breakfast is Tuesday, Dec. 16 beginning at 7:45am
- School Improvement Team Meeting is Thursday, Dec. 18 beginning at 7:30am
- The Troubadour's Assemblies are Thursday, Dec. 18 (K-2 @ 9:30am, 3-5 @ 10:15am)
- Our Christmas Holiday Break is Dec. 22, 2014 - Jan. 2, 2015
- School resumes on Monday, Jan. 5, 2015