Monthly Update from the 6th Grade Team
Upcoming Event!! First Parent Night: Hispanic Heritage Celebration
Tuesday, Oct 15, 2019, 05:30 PM
John W Neal Middle School, Baptist Road, Durham, NC, USA
Staff Spotlight - Ms. Aguila
I am Ms. Aguila, I'm Neal’s bilingual liaison. Every day I assist our Spanish speaking families and students to communicate with our counselors, teachers, and school staff. I've been at Neal for three years and I enjoy working with our Latino community.
Soy la Sra. Aguila, soy la intérprete de la escuela Neal. Todos los dias ayudo a nuestras familias y estudiantes de habla hispana a comunicarse con nuestros consejeros, maestros y personal escolar. Llevo tres años en Neal y disfruto trabajar con nuestra comunidad latina.
Si necesita comunicarse conmigo por favor llame al (919) 560-3955 Ext. 55712 o escriba un correo electrónico a Ana.AguilaVelez@dpsnc.net
Phone: (919) 560-3955
Welcome to Middle School - A Message to Parents
- Middle school is different: Students may have an adjustment period that includes missed assignments and challenging behaviors. It is normal to see things now you haven't seen before from your student. We meet this with logical consequences and parent partnership. If we work together, students will come out better.
- Students have more responsibility: Teachers at Neal MS push our students to keep track of their assignments and be responsible for communicating with you and their teachers where they need support. You should expect that students bring home progress reports every 5 weeks or so and are checking their google classroom and other pages for assignments.
- We hold high expectations for your students: We expect that all of our students are positive members of our community. We use the RISE acronym to talk about these values (Respect, Integrity, Self Control, and Excellence). This includes high expectations for their engagement in class and their treatment of one another. Please speak with your student regularly to ensure they are feeling good about meeting the expectations for success here at Neal.
As we move through the year, I will give more updates through this newsletter about how you can prepare your student for success. Here are a few ways you can support us in making your student the most successful:
- Forward the parent newsletter to other families you know and make sure they are engaged. They can email Mr. Hickson (information below) to sign up for the newsletter.
- Sign up for the parent remind: https://www.remind.com/join/28de4bd
- Contact teachers to ask how you can support their classroom and your child.
- Attend our first Parent Night on October 15th. Arrive at 4:30 for time to meet your child's teacher. Program starts at 5:30PM. Dinner is served at 7:00PM.