WBMS September 19th update
West Bloomfield Middle School Updates
Home Sporting Events--procedure for spectators
Student Spectators: if the event begins at 4:00 or earlier, students may stay in the building, supervised before attending the game.
Games that start after 4, like the one coming up this week at 4:15, require student spectators to go home and come back.
This does not mean a student can walk to Orchard Lake Mall and return, students must be dropped off by a parent to attend games after 4:00 pm.
If you have questions, email: Lisa.Graff@wbsd.org
2022-23 Dates and Times for Middle School
Fall 2022 Dates for Middle School
Retake Picture Day is on 10/26 this year. This event date is for any new students moving into the school district after Sept 12th, and for those that were not satisfied with their previously taken portrait.
If you placed and order online with LifeTouch, your online order will be applied automatically, when your student has his/her portrait taken. There is nothing special required for you to do.
They will match your online order, to your student's portrait when we (LifeTouch) do (does) photograph them.
If you placed an online order with Lifetouch, and your student never gets photographed, please request a "refund" and we will gladly refund you your order.
Start and end times: 8:20 am to 3:12pm students will be allowed in the building at 7:45 am.
Dismissal is 3:12 pm. All students should be picked up by 3:30 pm.
Friday, October 7th is the beginning of our weekly Bagel Fundraiser. Students will have the opportunity to purchase a Detroit Bagel Company bagel for 2$ (cash only please no lunch account funds can be used) and this will serve as our annual school fundraiser.
District dates to make note of:
Sept 22: West Bloomfield Middle School Grand Opening Event and Ribbon Cutting 6:00pm-8:00pm
Sept 28: Dr Bazzi meet and greet (details below)
Parent-Teacher Conferences are VIRTUAL (ZOOM) Dates are November 16th and 18th-details to come soon
WBMS Laker of the Week
Student Council at WBMS
8th grade core
WBMS 6th, 7th, 8th Grade Rep
School wide dance: October 14th
This is a drop off event for students only.
Costumes are encouraged (this is our Halloween dance).
No weapons (fake or real) no costume masks and no fake blood please.
Only WBMS students can attend.
This is in place of any dressing up that would occur for Halloween.
Tickets will be on sale for 5$ every day at lunches from Oct 3rd-14th.
Location: The dance (we have a DJ) will be in the gym
Concessions will be in the auditeria and everything will cost 1$
More info to come!
Pre season Wrestling Opportunity
Ages: Kindergarten thru 8th Grade (boys and girls)
Location: West Bloomfield Middle School
Days of Week: Tuesdays & Thursdays
Season: November (11/1) thru March (3/21)
Coaches: Tom DeGrand, Carlos Acosta, Mike Zimnicki, James Hitchcock, & Tim Burzynski
Cost: $175 (includes a West Bloomfield Wrestling Club T-Shirt)
Required Equipment: Wrestling shoes, headgear (competitions only), hair cap (boys/girls with long hair- competitions only)
Optional Equipment: Headgear (for practice), hair cap (boys/girls with long hair- practice)
They have a facebook page: "West Bloomfield Wrestling Club"
Please help us support your student by:
1. keeping personal laptops at home (we provide devices in school)
2. draw string bags and backpacks****
3. checking your student's lunch account to ensure funds are available
4. download the Power School app on your phone to keep updated with info
We are planning to adjust our process for students to carry materials
****we realize the string back packs will not hold the same amount of materials that a traditional back pack would. Some of the bags have torn and at this time we do not have extras to pass out as we need to save some for new students who continue to register.
It is important that students understand they should be using their lockers and not carrying much in the bag. Beginning this week, we are going to require students to use lockers and not bring bags to class.
The bags are designed to hold the planner and a handful of paper folders. Students do not need more than these few items. For the health and safety of our kids please help us help the students to manage this change. Whatever your students feels the need to carry to and from school, that bag must be kept in the locker and only used coming to and from school.
In previous years we did not carry bags during the school day. With the transition to the new building we attempted to try something different but unfortunately our procedure was not best for students.
If your student's locker is in need to repair, we hope to address that Monday, Sept 19th. Those students with broken lockers will be given a tag to attach to their bags indicating permission to carry a bag until a working locker can be assigned or the locker can be replaced.
HOW TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE WITH SCHOOL OFFICIALS
HOW TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE WITH SCHOOL OFFICIALS
WBSD understands that parents/families often have questions or concerns that need to be addressed. To prevent frustration and obtain the most effective outcome, WBSD asks that you follow the Chain of Communication sequence listed here on our website.
Many parent/family and community questions are easily answered by communicating directly with the educator in charge of the class or program. Each situation should first be addressed at the level the initial action was taken, with appeals moving on to the next level in the Chain of Communication. The most effective method of communication is via email and telephone is the next preferable way. We look forward to serving you more effectively in the future!
Lockers, Lanyards and IDs: an Update
We require that students wear the lanyard and ID around the neck every day. Students do not bring lanyards home, as they are stored in Advisory classes when not being worn.
If a student needs a replacement lanyard for any reason s/he may purchase one for 2$ in the office.
Replacement IDs are 5$ and we should be able to print those in the next week (stay tuned).
Lockers have been a challenge for some students this year. If a student has a locker that is jammed and/or will not open, the student should report that issue to the Advisory teacher so the locker number can be recorded for our repair list. It is important for students to confirm the combination or have an adult try to open the locker with a key before adding the name to the repair list.
District Issued Chromebooks
Lisa.Graff@wbsd.org and she will request one for you.
If your district issued device is in need of repair:
The Oakland Schools Service Desk can only assist parents/guardians, not students. On the phone, a parent/guardian can grant verbal approval for their child to work with the Service Desk technician, but they MUST remain present during the entirety of the conversation.
- Phone: (248) 209-2060
- Email: email@example.com
- Online Ticket Submission- servicedesk.oakland.k12.mi.us
- How to create an Oakland Schools Service Desk account and request (desktop)
- On a mobile device- In the upper left corner, click on the apps button (square containing 9 little squares). Click "Technical Support". Then scroll down and select "Oakland Schools Service Desk". Click "Sign up for an account". Enter your email address and security word. An email will be sent to the account you provided with final information and instructions.
When entering requests through the online portal or email, please be certain to include your full name, your child’s name and district, school building, the device they have been issued and a good phone number to call you back. This information will allow the Service Desk to provide the best possible service in the most efficient manner.
- If you are in need of a district issued Chromebook, please complete an Oakland Schools Service Desk ticket.
- District owned hotspots are available for those with no internet in the home due to financial hardship. If you are in need of a district owned hotspot, please submit an Oakland Schools Service Desk ticket. By receiving a district owned hotspot you are agreeing to the following-
- I certify that my child(ren) does not have any internet access in the home and that the WBSD hotspot will be the sole source of their in-home internet access. I understand that my child(ren) will receive a WBSD hotspot to provide connectivity for learning purposes ONLY. The hotspot is designed to provide students enough data and access to complete school work. I understand that I am held responsible for any damage/loss to the hotspot device and accessories. I understand that I am responsible for the hotspot device if it is not turned in when requested by the district. District hotspots use cellular data service meaning they can be tracked by GPS.
PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies
PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies. Each month we will have a special incentive. This month, from September 7-September 23rd students who don't have any office referrals and five or less tardies will earn the reward of being able to buy a Kona Ice during their lunch recess for $6 (cash only). Tickets for eligible students will be on sale from Sept. 26 - Sept. 30th during lunch. We love catching kids being good!
Kona Ice day is October 3rd
For students-signing up for I-Center at Recess
Attention West Bloomfield Middle School Students,
Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 6, we are opening up the iCenter as an option for RECESS.
If iCenter is your choice, there are some important facts that you need to know.
1. You MUST pre-register using your @student.wbsd.org email address
2. Pre-registration begins at 4 PM on the day PRIOR to the recess you will attend.
3. 40 spots are available per recess. The registration form will close when 40 spots are filled.
4. Make sure you register for the correct recess. (If you make a mistake, please email me so that I can remove you from the list & make that spot available to another student.)
5. The registration links are included on a Google Document attached to this email. The links are also located on our WBMS iCenter webpage.
More information is available on the registration link page.
Once your registration form is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email.
Please SAVE this email as proof of registration.
We will NOT be administering paper passes at this time. Use the online form to register & then show up at the front entrance of the iCenter on your specified day.
Please reach out to me if you have any questions.
Mrs. Cindy Carson
Digital Literacy Specialist
West Bloomfield Middle School
A-GH Peguese contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
GI-N Levitan contact info: email@example.com
O-Z Chang contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
NWEA testing--all students Math and Language Arts
Math: Wednesday Sept 28
Both tests will be administered in the morning starting at 8:30 am--please make sure your student is ontime for school
Thank you for your support of the very first CASA middle school chapter in the country.
At our first meeting: we made use of the collaboration space and used those whiteboards to come up with social activities and community service plans.
Our next meeting will be Wednesday, September 21 right after school until 4:30. Make sure to include ALL STUDENTS ARE WELCOME! Every Wednesday till 4:30.
Our big event in October is SOCKTOBER. Chris Toma, who owns Socks Galore, has pledged to match our sock donation! More info will be coming!
Important COVID-19 Updates and Sick Policy
1. It remains District policy that if your child is sick, please report their absence to the safeline number and keep them home until their symptoms have improved. The District's sick policy can be found HERE.
2. Please note there is no longer a COVID-19 Dashboard on our website. WBSD is in frequent contact with and follows the guidance of the Oakland County Health Department. If you would like more information about this guidance, please visit: https://www.oakgov.com/covid.
3. A distinction will no longer be made between potential exposures and “close contacts.” Families will receive a letter if a student is exposed to someone with COVID-19.
4. ALL Covid-19 updates can be found on this page: https://www.wbsd.org/parents/covid-19
Safeline--call for absence and/or tardy
The line is open 24/7
Absences must be excused within 24 hours of the date
Order your 2022-23 School Yearbook Today!
Yearbooks are not automatically included in school picture orders like elementary school.
Our yearbook is a hard cover book.
Mark Your Calendar - Math Pentathlon Parent Zoom Meeting
Mark your calendar! Math Pentathlon uses problem-solving games to make math enjoyable for ALL! A highly motivational way for students to gain math fluency. We will be discussing the 2022-2023 season, meeting times, and answer any questions.
Join Zoom Meeting on Tuesday, September 20 at 7 p.m.
Meeting ID: 819 3922 6717
- Division 4 (6th & 7th Grade) will be on Thursdays at WBMS, starting on November 3. Tournament tentatively scheduled for May 13th at Stoney Creek HS in Rochester.
- We will have optional Saturday practices (one per month), starting in December.
West Bloomfield Middle School PTO Board:
President: Katie Palazzolo: email@example.com
Vice-President: Kristi Law: firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Kelly Robrahn: email@example.com
Secretary: Renai Mayle: firstname.lastname@example.org
PTO Fundraising Goals:
Our main fundraiser for the school year will be a weekly bagel sale. We will be selling bagels for $2 before school every Friday starting in October. We will be looking for parent volunteers to help with the sales. If sales go well, this will be our ONLY fundraiser of the year!
What we support:
· Community Outreach Programs (Greater West Bloomfield Community Coalition, Family Fun Night, etc.)
· Fun Day (end of the year celebration for the students)
· House Party
· Staff Appreciation Week
PTO Meetings: in person at the middle school
· Wednesday, October 12 at 7pm
· Wednesday, January 11 at 7pm
· Wednesday, March 8 at 7pm
· Wednesday, May 3rd (Elections and Staff Appreciation Planning) at 7pm
Please join our “West Bloomfield Middle School PTO” Facebook page!
Free and Reduced Lunch--need to complete forms by Oct 1st
If you are not sure if you qualify please apply to be sure
Apply every year by Oct 1 or lose benefits. Benefits from year to year only carry over until Oct. 1st.
Medication at school
This includes, but is not limited to Tylenol, Tums, prescriptions, and Advil. Under no circumstances can a student be in possession of medication without the proper forms on file. Students possessing medication without the forms on file or distributing medication to other students will be subject to discipline following the district's Code of Conduct.
We are very excited to announce that the West Bloomfield School District Athletic Department has partnered with FinalForms, an online forms and data management service. FinalForms allows you to complete and sign athletic participation forms for your student(s). The most exciting news is that FinalForms saves data from season to season and year to year, meaning that you will never need to enter the same information twice! FinalForms also pre-populates information wherever possible, for each of your student(s), saving you time.
You may review your data at any time to verify that it is current. You will be required to sign your forms annually and after any update.
Click on the Parent Playbook West Bloomfield Parent Playbook.pdf to get started in FinalForms. If you require support during the process, scroll to the bottom of the pdf and click “Use Support.”
We are asking that ALL parents of athletes use FinalForms.
Please register at: www.westbloomfield-mi.finalforms.com
Follow the prompts to create your account, register your student(s), and sign your forms. Thank you for your assistance in helping us streamline our paperwork processes at WBSD.
Transportation: Buses and Extra Riders
Soon we will allow extra guest riders on buses provided there is space available, the student has a note and the request is not daily. We will have more information to share shortly.
Superintendent's Excellence Award
Students will be nominated by WBSD staff and administration each month. Each month the staff will be reminded of the nominations and sent a link to complete the nomination application. Each staff member can only nominate one (1) student per month.
A student cannot receive the award more than once within a year.
Your Middle School Administration Team
Jermaine Evans, Assistant Principal
Blaine McDowell, Dean of Student Services
Lisa Graff, Assistant Principal