Lowell Memo: Issue #14
February 7, 2014
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
Lowell has Olympic Spirit!
- Monday, February 10- Hats off to the Olympians! (Wear your favorite winter hat.)
- Tuesday, February 11- Support your favorite sport! (Represent your favorite sport or sports team.)
- Wednesday, February 12- Lowell students shine! (To symbolize the olympic medals, wear sparkle or shine.)
- Thursday, February 13- Lowell students stay connected! (Join your grade level in wearing one of the Olympic ring colors. (K & 1- Blue; 2-Yellow; 3-Black; 4-Green; & 5-Red)
- Friday, February 14- We LOVE our country! (Wear Valentine gear or represent the USA or your country of birth.)
Jamboree is coming!!
- Just a reminder that the 2013-2014 Directory Cover Art Contest submissions are due on Friday, Feb. 14th.
- Also don't forget that all pre-sale and volunteer forms are due back to the office no later than Friday, February 21st, but the earlier you can send them in, the better. Volunteers are already busy filling orders.
- We are still in need of full-size candy donations for Candy Grams and large baskets for the raffle. Thanks to all who have contributed!
- We would also LOVE to have your help the night of the event. There are five volunteer shifts to choose from--please consider signing up for one by filling out the volunteer sign-up form in your packet.
- This event could not succeed without the help of the whole school community—thanks for all that you do for Lowell School!
Thanks to the PTA for our Rope Warrior Assembly!
Looking for the Class of 2027!
Mark your calendars, put on your spirit wear and join Lowell Elementary on Thursday, February 20th from 5-8 pm at Chic-fil-A Wheaton for our next Cook's Night Out!
Thursday, Feb. 20th, 5-8pm
301 E Loop Rd
- Gabrielle Horn
- Jacob Horn
- Jordan Winter
Lowell had a fantastic day at the tournament.
- Jacob Horn finished 1st place in the "5th grade and under" division with his first perfect score of 5 wins, 0 losses, 0 draws.
- Jordan Winter finished 9th place in the "5th grade and under" division with a personal best of 3 wins and the added bonus of beating a 5th grader.
- Gabrielle Horn finished 13th place in the "5th grade and under" division with a personal best of 2 wins, 1 draw, and the added bonus of beating a 5th grader.
It was a record breaking day for the team. Congratulations to the entire team!
Important Traffic & Parking Reminders
In particular, please note:
Keeping Driveways Clear- Please do not block the driveways on Willow if the pick-up line extends beyond the pick-up/drop-off zone. It is important that we are good neighbors and do not compromise people's access to their homes. In addition, tickets may be issued if police observe this practice.
Willow Parking Restrictions- Please be alert to parking restriction signs in the Lowell area. Wheaton Police and city engineering continue to monitor and make adjustments to ensure safety and smooth traffic flow.
Cut-Out on Illinois- Please only use this for a.m. kindergarten pick-up, p.m. kindergarten drop-off, picking up sick children, and dropping off items that will take under 5 minutes. Please do not stop with your car outside of the cut-out for safety and traffic flow purposes.
Drop-off & Pick-up Zone on Willow - Students should only leave and load vehicles in the fenced in lane for safety. Please do not let students out of cards outside of that area on Willow.
Thank you again for your understanding and cooperation!
Lowell School-wide Reading Incentives
Forms have gone home and are due back on Friday, February 14th. Students can earn a free ticket to Great America!
Kane County Cougars
- Starts: January 20
- Ends: March 14
Watch for Game Plan sheets from your child's teacher to see their reading goal. Lowell students will be recognized at the Kane County Cougar games on April 11th and May 22nd (Both are 6:30 game times).
De-clutter and donate to support the Lowell Jamboree!
Plans are well underway for this year's Jamboree on Friday, February 28th, between 5 and 8 p.m. Be on the lookout for several new games and attractions this year! Also, in an attempt to maximize our prize budget, we will be placing a box in the office to collect any gently used knick-knacks you might want to de-clutter from your own home. Bouncy balls, Happy Meal toys, rainbow loom bracelets, books, matchbox cars, stickers, pencils, figurines, any little new or gently-used toys that you don't mind parting with will be accepted throughout the month of January. These items will be re-distributed as prizes, saving Lowell money and saving the earth at the same time. Thanks for your support!
American Dental Association’s 12th annual Give Kids a Smile Day
The Dental Clinic at DuPage County Health Department is planning the American Dental Association’s 12th annual Give Kids a Smile Day for February 7, 2014 (Friday) 9am-3:30pm. We are asking for your help to distribute, post, and forward (blast email) the attached flyers to School Nurses, Immunization Clinics, Resource Centers, Clinics, etc. Volunteer Dentists from the community will be doing free children’s dental screenings at both locations and restorative treatment (fixing cavities) at DCHD C/O. This year we will be at two different locations:
DuPage County Health Department/Dental Clinic
111 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
DuPage Children’s Museum/Smile Squad Mobile Dental Clinic (Located in the parking lot)
301 N. Washington St.
Naperville, IL 60540
If you have any questions, please contact Carlos G. Theriot 630-221-7337. Thank you!
Emergency Closing Information
2013-14 PTA Meetings
- Friday, February 21st- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 20th- 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 11th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 15th- 7 p.m.
- All Thursday evening meetings will be held in the LLC.
- All Friday morning meetings will be held in the Art Room.
- Free babysitting is available at each meeting.