Thurmont Primary School News
October 2020 - Volume 1
It's hard to believe we are already half way through the first quarter! While we are proud of how the year has started, we also know virtual learning and being separated from school, teachers and peers is not easy for you or your child. As you continue to support your child at home, please monitor both their academic engagement and their social-emotional well-being. Know that we are here to support you and your child in any way!
Please contact your child's teacher, or the front office, if you would like your child to...
- access support during the school day through our Cougar Care Center
- access support in the evening and on the weekend through our Cougar Learning Lab
- have a check in from a TPS staff member
Please click the button below to share and enjoy a special story with your child.
Yours in education,
Meal Benefits Application Form
FCPS encourages all families to complete the Meal Benefits Application Form. We are asking ALL TPS families to complete/submit an application for Free And Reduced Meals, even if you do not think your child is eligible. Information gathered from the applications received helps to determine local and federal funding available to support students, instructional programs and resources for our school.
Please see below for the links to the print and online versions of the form.
Visit the FCPS Food and Nutrition Services website for additional information and call the school with any questions or if you need assistance.
If you have questions or concerns about your child's performance please don't hesitate to contact their teacher(s).
Virtual Schedule & Individual Student Conferences
We intentionally designed our virtual schedules to provide all teacher led Google Meet lessons in the morning and time for a break in the afternoon.
However, there are 2 afternoon requirements for your child:
- attend the weekly 15 minute individual student conference - teachers will be completing assessments during this time and determining individual needs to support your child
- catching up on any incomplete/missing assignments - please be sure you are checking your child's Schoology courses, for all contents including specials, to ensure s/he is turning in all assignments weekly.
Thank you for supporting our virtual learning plan!
Free Flu Shots
The Frederick County Health Department (FCHD) encourages all Frederick County residents to get a flu vaccination this season.
The Maryland Department of Health provides FREE flu vaccinations for children 6 months to 18 years of age who do not have health insurance, have health insurance that does not cover the cost of immunizations, or who are unable to get vaccinated by their healthcare provider. Only the injectable (the shot) is available.
Appointments are required and available on Wednesdays from 8:30 AM-3:30 PM. To schedule an appointment, call 301-600-3342 and ask to speak with an immunization nurse or visit https://www.marylandvax.org to sign up for an appointment.
Cougar Learning Lab
TPS will offer evening and weekend support to assist students with work in reading and math. ALL students are welcome to join on any/all of the days/times listed below. Students can receive help with Schoology assignments, practice reading and/or math skills and review daily lessons.
- Mondays & Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45pm
- Saturdays from 9:00-11:00am
- Code "TPS-Orlando"
- Wednesdays & Thursday from 6:30-7:30pm
- Saturdays from 10:00-12:00pm
- Code "TPS-Dove"
Technology & Classroom Support
To access support please...
- log into a device using your child's FCPS account username and password
- open your web browser
- go to https://meet.google.com/
- click the green "join or start a meet" button
- enter "TPS-CougarCenter" in the box for a meeting nickname/code
- click "continue"
Using this support service will allow you immediate access to assistance and bypass the need to call into the front office or email your child's teacher. We are committed to ensuring students & families are able to successfully access and participate in virtual learning!
Please also see the Schoology Troubleshooting Guide for Parents & Students shared through the FCPS Find Out First system last week.
FCPS Meals to Go
Meals are provided from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays using the following schedule.
- Mondays – “To-go” breakfasts and lunches are provided for Monday and Tuesday
- Tuesdays – Kitchens are closed
- Wednesdays – “To-go” breakfasts and lunches are provided for Wednesday and Thursday
- Thursdays – Kitchens are closed
- Fridays – “To-go” breakfasts and lunches are provided for Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Children do not have to be present. A parent, guardian or other designated person can pick up food for children. Parents/guardians or children will enter the school cafeteria and pick up the food in the kitchen serving line. Masks must be worn by all children and adults entering the cafeteria, and family groups must stay 6 feet apart from other family groups. The food server will do all of the food handling. All food will be compartmentalized or individually wrapped.
Thurmont Middle School is the closest site for our TPS students/families but you may visit any site to participate in the program. A full listing of sites and additional details are available at: https://www.fcps.org/about/news/1688412/fcps-extends-free-meal-service-through-december
Friday, October 9th - Interims Issued
Friday, October 16th - Schools Closed for Students - Teacher Work Day
Wednesday, October 21st - Schools Open 4 Hours Late (12:10pm) for Evening Conferences
Thursday, October 22nd - Schools Open 4 Hours Late (12:10pm) for Evening Conferences
Friday, October 23rd - Schools Close 3 1/2 Hours Early (11:40am) for Afternoon Conferences